360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
261 - 280 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
@Capt.matt do you rig the 8in the same way? I think I’ve only seen you using the 6in flyers
Yes, I rig them the same. Sometimes I will rig an assist hook out the top of the bigger flyers and glue it on the back. That’s mainly to keep the flyer from ripping off when a fish hits, otherwise a Frenzy usually will not survive more than one fish.
With Yummees you can get multiple fish out of a lure, the only downside of a Yummee is they don’t float.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
11/8-11/9
It was a solid trip.
We bottom fished on natural bottom in 330 ft where we caught some good Beeliners and put a hurting on some Scamps. We also managed to pick up a 110 lb Warsaw.
Tuna fishing started a little on the slower side but it ended up being a really good night, our best night of the fall so far. It took three different locations to get it done. It’s unlikely that we will be fishing the same rig all night anytime soon, there are finally fish here but not in huge numbers yet, but it’s definitely looking much better than last month.
YFT were caught on chunks, poppers, Halcos and Frenzy’s and the biggest went around 115lbs.

Trip totals......
32 YFT
125 BFT
142 Beeliners
29 Scamps
1 Warsaw
8 Longtail Sea Bass
Animal product Fish Cuisine Fish products Seafood
Water Seafood Fish Food Fish products
Water Leisure Recreation Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Underpants

·
Registered
22 Posts
11/8-11/9
It was a solid trip.
We bottom fished on natural bottom in 330 ft where we caught some good Beeliners and put a hurting on some Scamps. We also managed to pick up a 110 lb Warsaw.
Tuna fishing started a little on the slower side but it ended up being a really good night, our best night of the fall so far. It took three different locations to get it done. It’s unlikely that we will be fishing the same rig all night anytime soon, there are finally fish here but not in huge numbers yet, but it’s definitely looking much better than last month.
YFT were caught on chunks, poppers, Halcos and Frenzy’s and the biggest went around 115lbs.

Trip totals......
32 YFT
125 BFT
142 Beeliners
29 Scamps
1 Warsaw
8 Longtail Sea Bass
View attachment 120802 View attachment 120803 View attachment 120804
Nice catch!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Line Material property Natural material Ceiling fan Wing

Natural material Wood Automotive design Shelf Ceiling

White Sleeve Material property Automotive design Wood

If anyone wanted to get in the frenzy flyer game this is how I rig my flyer. Very simply rubber washer to stop the hook from going inside the bait. I think this improves hook-up ratios over pinning the hook inside the bait. This is an Owner ST-66 3/0. I have the swivel at my connection of the braid and leader. I have tested 5/0 ST-66 and it makes the bait sink. 4/0 might be a little better but it will make the bait become more submerged. Excuse the knot haha.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
11/11-11/12
We got chased out by a cold front that hit us just before we got anchored up to bottom fish and it made conditions pretty tough, mainly the current. It took 24 oz minimum but a lot of guys had 36 oz to try and stay straight up and down but it made feeling the bite difficult. The area we fished was in 330 ish ft. The first stop was awful but the next two were decent. We picked at some Beeliners and Scamps.
Tuna fishing didn’t start how I would have liked. The first rig was dead and we didn’t stay long. The second rig was slightly better but was still pretty slow. We stayed there until 12:30 when the moon set in hopes of the bite improving but it never happened. We finally got on a good bite of fish at around 2 am when we arrived at our third rig of the night... one we hadn’t hit in about a month and it was ON and stayed like that for the rest of the night. We boated 20+ YFT from 2am- sunrise with 15 going 90 lbs or better and there were several nice fish lost as well. Most fish were caught on Halcos but also saw some caught off poppers and Frenzy’s.

Trip totals....
25 YFT
100 BFT
16 Scamps
1 YellowEdge
Vertebrate White Sky Seafood Water
Vertebrate Water Seafood Fish Fin

261 - 280 of 286 Posts