New Buccaneer Fall 2020 Tuna Schedule

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by Capt.matt, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

Whamo... love it!

Capt.matt likes this.
  2. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

Matt was there any hot color on the Halcos?

3. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

Saw fish caught on RedHeads and a couple different colors of Blue.

K newton, Stevo and Dobhar-Chu like this.
  4. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Unbelievable,great catch again

5. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

We are canceling tomorrow’s trip. The forecast updated this am and is now calling 20-25 knots from the NE at the Gardens for Tuesday.

6. TexasDaddy

TexasDaddy Member

Capt. Matt, Do you know when you'll be posting the Spring 2021 schedule?

7. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

Hope to have it out by early December.

oldtrackster and TexasDaddy like this.
  8. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

7D9F3AAF-8918-49E0-90E6-4645A3863C91.jpeg 22DEFA1F-B172-4F09-8B72-26A2546070BD.jpeg BE6B4543-8B7D-4F9D-A669-EEC99A60E3A6.jpeg 4E37AC93-B4C7-4E1B-B31C-1AB9771E84D4.jpeg 07198EB1-B3CC-4B13-B5B7-49B75D9001F4.jpeg We got in today off of a 56 hour. It was a decent trip, not quite what I had hoped for but decent all the way around.
    We headed for Auger to start the trip out and made a quick 2 hour pit stop on the way out to bottom fish and fishing was good, we caught a pile of Beeliners and a few Scamps.
    We got to Auger and I was expecting a flurry of fish but that didn’t happen, we did land 5 YFT on Halcos in 7 drifts but the bite was slow, after that we hit a nearby drillship and it was dead. The third stop of the night was Magnolia and we steadily hooked 1-2 YFT per drift but we had horrible luck, we lost way too many fish, mostly break offs but had a few hooks pull too. At one point during the night I attempted to make a move to the drillship Pacific Khamsin only to realize it was on the move..... the ship had been on location for months... what terrible timing for it to leave location! We ended the first night at 21 YFT and one really big BigEye.
    I heavily weighed making the long slow ride to Lucius for the second night but after sticking fuel and looking at the weather I was not comfortable with the fuel we had and what it would take to get home from there so we slow boated in to bottom fish where we caught a few more Scamps and a good number of Beeliners.
    We returned to Magnolia for the second night to a decent bite but once again we were plagued with the break off bug. We did not land a yellow until our fourth drift, at one point we were 0-8 which was extremely frustrating but it wasn’t angler error and wasn’t crew error, it just seemed like we had extremely bad luck for a while.
    We picked at YFT for the rest of the second night with a lull around midnight. By 4 am they kind of shut down again so I decided to make a run to Auger to try and catch a morning bite with some fresh fish that didn’t have sore mouths and that didn’t work out for us. Hind sight is 20/20 and if I had to do it again I would have ground out a couple more at Mag but I felt pretty good about an early bite at Auger with us having a few really good sunrise bites there last month.
    All in all it was a successful trip, pretty stressful but it was a decent trip in the end. The highlight was the BigEye which ended going 140 on a certified scale which will be a new state record.
    Trip totals...
    35 YFT
    2 BigEye
    77 BFT
    493 Beeliners
    16 AlmacoJack
    15 Scamp

9. Paul Choi

Paul Choi Well-Known Member

Was the big eye belly filled with chum?

10. Illy

Illy Active Member

Negative

Attached Files:

K newton likes this.
  11. scubaarchery

Awesome trip Matt, that is the nice thing about the 56 hour, if one night isn't great, the next one might be! What was the big eye caught on? Did you catch it at Auger or Magnolia?

esgeo likes this.
  12. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

It was caught at Magnolia in a jig down deep.

Stevo, bnz and esgeo like this.
  13. scubaarchery

Illy did you catch it? Congratulations to New Buccaneer on another state record!

esgeo likes this.
  14. Illy

Illy Active Member

yes I caught it. I got it at 4am the first night

lite-liner, esgeo and lawrencelee91 like this.
  15. lawrencelee91

lawrencelee91 Junior member

You forgot to mention all the prized barracuda that came aboard! Lots of new mouth jewelry for many of em

semipro, esgeo and hstsw like this.
  16. scubaarchery

Awesome! Congratulations! Can you share what jig you were using and what depth?

17. Illy

Illy Active Member

This jig. I was 350-450ft down. I’d give you the name but the cudas took all of them

Attached Files:

esgeo likes this.
  18. scubaarchery

Sorry to hear that, cuda tax is tough!

19. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Congratulations on new State record Big Eye
    big fat girl:D

Illy, scubaarchery and Dobhar-Chu like this.