New Buccaneer Fall 2020 Tuna Schedule

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by Capt.matt, Jul 11, 2020.

1. CDB

CDB Member

Wow. Y’all put some serious time on those engines. Seems like not too long ago that you repowered. I gues that’s a good thing. More hours = more trips = solid business. Win win win.

Stevo likes this.
  2. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

Hey guys, we are canceling tomorrow’s trip. The front that was supposed to hit Friday night is now going to be hitting Friday morning.

gotmuddy likes this.

3. ranger-dude

ranger-dude New Member

Matt - Disappointed, but understand the safety factor. Saw the weather report - was not looking forward to the bumpy ride on Friday

Capt.matt likes this.
  4. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

We got in today off an awesome 30 hour. It was non stop action all night with only one small lull just before moon set. I saw fish caught on Halcos, Yummees, Frenzy’s and live flyers. I don’t think we caught any on chunks. That was one of the most action packed nights we have seen. We even had to get a second chill box going so we could keep up with the pace. By the end of the night we were doing quite a bit of catch and release on BFT.
    Totals..
    55 YFT
    402 BFT
    251 Beeliners
    6 AmberJack
    9 AlmacoJack
    4 Scamp
    1 Yellowmouth
    8D11F80A-87CD-4EAD-857D-A9CD47EF8577.jpeg EBB56E03-466A-459C-83EB-92AAEF8B1BCC.jpeg 65BC4C2C-5D56-4B79-9B3D-69D2A67C7ABE.jpeg CEFC8096-A07A-46EB-82B4-4B71A427C65A.jpeg D931AE31-FC61-4B55-97B3-8F4814F8CF87.jpeg 5E6B1A87-0764-4FAE-95D1-68892B94CD42.jpeg

5. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Great trip again:)

Capt.matt and Stevo like this.
  6. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

Awesome trip Matt!

Capt.matt likes this.
  7. Paul Choi

Paul Choi Well-Known Member

You know it’s a good trip when the yft get hung along the side of the boat great job

K newton and Capt.matt like this.
  8. TomH

TomH Active Member

It was one heck of a trip! Thank you Capt. Matt for putting us on them, and thanks to your crew for being the best group of deckhands I've ever had on one of these trips! I'm not knocking the deckhands on other outfits I've been out with but I was really impressed with everyone from GPB. Our group will definitely book again when the next tuna trips are announced. We already have a couple more who want to join us.

Capt.matt, Mpro2 and Illy like this.
  9. Illy

Illy Active Member

How many did you end up catching? You and your group

10. TomH

TomH Active Member

We had 5 in the group, between us there were 4 yellowfin, at least 45 blackfin, stringers full of beeliners, and some random stuff. Thanks to being rusty after a 10 year hiatus I managed to lose 2 good yellow through stupid mistakes and I broke off on 4 AJ's before diagnosing a problem with my reel. The action never stopped.

Mpro2 and Illy like this.
  11. Oliver Batinga

Oliver Batinga Active Member

I agree Tom (nice meeting you on the boat btw). Great 1st time trip for myself and my friend. Capt Matt along with the deckhands did a superb job!
    Caught my limit of YFT, 10 blackfin, 7 beeliners and an undersized AJ (1 in. too short)
    I want to give a big thanks to Scuba, Tom, Lite-liner, and whomever else I may have not mentioned for providing imperative techniques, strategies, and info on how to catch YFT. I was hesitant to cast the Halco 130 max bc all I had were conventional reels and didn't want to risk backslashing and dealing with bird nests. Nonetheless, I was able to underhand cast with ease (20-30 yrds) and hook on to 5 YFT from the back of the boat. I will definitely plan another trip next yr along with a few other friends who weren't able to make it this yr.!!

lite-liner, Capt.matt and Mpro2 like this.
  12. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

Congratulations guys, you ended up on an epic trip and Captain Matt and the crew seem to make epic trips happen more often than anyone else! I am glad the information that I have posted was helpful to you! I know when I first joined this site was and hopefully continues to be a wealth of knowledge!

Capt.matt likes this.
  13. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Boats in my area hung the fish back in the day, (pre internet)
    when there would be lots of people hanging out at the docks
    for the boats to come back in, to see how good the trips were,
    and to buy fish.

Do you have people (many?/seasonal?) waiting at the docks to view the catch?

14. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Sounds like an awesome trip! BTW, what was the preferred bait/lure of choice on this trip?

15. TomH

TomH Active Member

I caught all but 4 of my tuna on a blue halco. Kept the same one all night until the last drift when a yellow took me across the bow and drug my line across the anchor.

16. TomH

TomH Active Member

I also saw yummies working, but most were on halcos, I don't think chunk worked at all. I know one guy got a yellow on a live flyer.

17. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks! I will be there in about 3 weeks, and trying to just keep up on the bite....but you know that could easily change day to day. Thanks again!

18. Oliver Batinga

Oliver Batinga Active Member

I
    I used the 130 max Fusilier for the the first 3 and then switched to the Bonita. The hooks got bent but I straightened them out on the fusilier. After the 2nd one, I switched out one of the hooks with a 4x strong Gamakatsu treble hook size 1 (62410). Almost half the price as the Owner ST-66TN but, not as durable. I switched out the Fusilier bc it took a beating. Hooked 2 on the Bonita which, I gave to 2 other individuals to fight. By then, it was time to head back. A few were people were casting 130's from the starboard side but were not getting hits. I literally dead center stern casting underhanded. I guess its how you work the lure? Either way, we all had blast!

19. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks for the info....I do have a bonito and a couple of sardine colors. Guess I'll pick up a fusilier or two just in case. Thanks!