360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I drive in from SA the morning of the trip, so dont have a lot of extra time. I would gladly pay someone $10-$15 for 20 pinfish :)
LOL you can't even find live pinfish at a bait store for that cheap (or usually at all in Galveston), let alone dockside. $15 for a dozen is the absolute minimum you'd expect at a bait shop if they do have them. Offer more like $2 per fish and we can talk.

·
Registered
115 Posts
LOL you can't even find live pinfish at a bait store for that cheap (or usually at all in Galveston), let alone dockside. $15 for a dozen is the absolute minimum you'd expect at a bait shop if they do have them. Offer more like $2 per fish and we can talk.
How about i split half of the grouper i catch with you ha ha

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
My two grips complaints are people using spinning reels bottom fishing and the electric guys with 5 hooks and a lb of hardware on their line, but I try not to complain too much 😂 Its a party boat, people are going to fish how they want to.
What happens when people use spinning reels to bottom fish?

·
Registered
60 Posts
What happens when people use spinning reels to bottom fish?

Exactly, I'd like to hear the complaint on that myself. As myself uses spinning tackle for absolutely everything, be it Chunking (live liner spinning reels), throwing any kind of lure, Halcos, Poppers, you name it. And how dare I say even Bottom Fishing. Oh and of course Jigging, can't forget that!
But yes please do explain, as I'd certainly like to entertain your beef with Spinning tackle.
Out of 16 rod & reel set-ups, be it both fresh and salt, 13 of them are spinning tackle.
Just now in the last month I did put together 2 conventional saltwater set-ups, using Penn Fathom lever drag 2 speeds, a 40 and a 60. Why? Maybe to have something on hand for light trolling and my version of a deep drop set-up. Myself just can't get on the electric band wagon, just not open enough for it just yet, maybe when I'm older.

·
Registered
299 Posts
In general I find people using spinning gear to bottom fish are less experienced... and tend to use too little lead - lots of tangles. I own two saltigas for popping but spinning gear is vastly inferior for any sort of bottom fishing.

No issues if people know how to fish their gear, just find it rare when they are using spinning tackle to bottom fish 😁

·
Registered
48 Posts
You guys are lucky to have an operation like the new buccaneer with captain matt in Texas. Crew that keeps the bathrooms clean. = A+. Because that means they work hard at everything else. I have had going on that boat for a tuna trip in the back of the head for the last few years. I’m completely fine with the fact that it’s going to be a totally different experience from the typical San Diego boat in which they almost spoil you sometimes. It’s Texas. They do everything bigger, faster, harder, stronger and better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In general I find people using spinning gear to bottom fish are less experienced... and tend to use too little lead - lots of tangles. I own two saltigas for popping but spinning gear is vastly inferior for any sort of bottom fishing.

No issues if people know how to fish their gear, just find it rare when they are using spinning tackle to bottom fish 😁
In general, you're right, would agree. Spinning tackle is less troublesome for those who maybe haven't fished a good bit.
Personally myself find it more rewarding in the fight of fish, any fish. Fishing for me is about the sport or challenge of the fight, as I'm realy not of any concern in keeping, if it was all up to me, everything would be released, except maybe one small tuna to keep or a snapper, grouper or 2. I'm also of no concern in fishing more than one hook at a time. Just want the thump, the fight and say thank you and send them on their way.
Did just put together a couple conventional set-ups with one spooled with 100lb braid. So maybe just maybe when I pull it out to fish it, I wouldn't be looked down upon hopefully, as I never would have thought some would. The inexperienced yes, as it doesn't take take long to see that in someone but simply because of spinning tackle, no.
Fishing is the same for everyone, how you go about, it is not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
In general, you're right, would agree. Spinning tackle is less troublesome for those who maybe haven't fished a good bit.
Personally myself find it more rewarding in the fight of fish, any fish. Fishing for me is about the sport or challenge of the fight, as I'm realy not of any concern in keeping, if it was all up to me, everything would be released, except maybe one small tuna to keep or a snapper, grouper or 2. I'm also of no concern in fishing more than one hook at a time. Just want the thump, the fight and say thank you and send them on their way.
Did just put together a couple conventional set-ups with one spooled with 100lb braid. So maybe just maybe when I pull it out to fish it, I wouldn't be looked down upon hopefully, as I never would have thought some would. The inexperienced yes, as it doesn't take take long to see that in someone but simply because of spinning tackle, no.
Fishing is the same for everyone, how you go about, it is not.
In my opinion spinning is fine for maybe 60ft deep and slow current bottom fishing any deeper and it just wont cut it even if you have a monstrous spinning reel like the peen 10500 they might have the drag power and the line capacity but the main fault is in the gearing i see this often like matawest mention people going deep bottom fishing whit spinning reels from 2000 to 5000 so they droop whit a 12oz weight (boat weight) when the current is just ripping a proceed to tangle half boat next they put 2 maybe 3 more weights together and droop again this time the hold bottom but ho crap the boat is moving now and the can get it up! lol their rig of course, so next droop the go back to single 12oz and viola mega tangle again.... saddest part i haven seen this multiple times it just got me thinking even if they catch a good fish the got not to much line left or the ability to reel it up so yes every time i see guy bottom fishing whit a small spinner well.... i think here go again i do not say spinners are bad it just they have their place and time and for deep drop bottom fishing i will stick whit something that can at least get the weight back to the boat and give me maybe a fighting chance at a grouper or something big. But like i said before some people do not have a clue and it maybe beneficial if during transit to the fishing grounds the could put a video explaining the basic stuff or even better at the web site like many other charters do, that way maybe we do not get to see this over and over....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I get you, i hear you, also agree to a point. Fish nothing smaller offshore than 8500 size, also have 10500. Fish and bottom fish down to 300 ft with heavy current, no problem. Also I bring my own weights, actually when I come on board, I have everything one's going to need, everything trust me. Such much gear, im giving stuff away to help others. But yes, I bring my own weights, about 8 lbs. worth, and stack accordingly as needed.
Think you guys have been around some folks, that just don't quite have a understanding in line diameter, line weights, current movement, etc.....
And reel capabilities, just all of it i guess.
Now, ill say again, I did put together a deep drop set-up, using conventional gear. Because yes, there is a limit in Spinning tackle and myself knows and understands that limit.

Myself actually used to work offshore, not only fish, if fact I bring so much gear, even have my own locator becon, because its a extremely valuable tool to have, you just never know.....
If anything im over prepared and have a full complete understanding of all situations off offshore just being out there and of course fishing.

My goal for this fall season is 2 things, a swordfish and a yellowfin over 100, because ive yet to get a swordfish and its been a good minute since I've had a 100 plus yellowfin.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What happened to the naysayers, thought for sure once I mentioned trying to target swordfish if conditions are right, you guys would come out in droves.
You don't have to drop a 1000 plus feet at night. The bait is right there on the boat, just ask the deckhand to set you back a few whole squid 🐙 🙄. Can't happen if you don't at least try....

21 - 40 of 62 Posts