360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i have gone in the 12hr and the 30hr trips several times and have nothing but good things to say about the Captains & Crew , But there is some things that i believe need to be address:

1. Please fix your booking system in a way that at the moment of purchase the ticket you are able to select the spot you want along whit the bench number you want so there is no surprises when you get there, and it be more fair to all of us, they way is done now is out right ridiculous when i ask i was told is at the discretion of the management "office" to assign the number of the bench and you can make a request and then hope and pray you get it... well we are paying for a service and we should be able to pick for ourselves its like going to order food and the waitress pick what flavor drink you going to get ! plus this give room to favoritism which it means the practice of giving unfair preferential treatment to one person or group at the expense of another what i mean whit this is that i see a group of people getting the same bench numbers over and over i know they may be good customers to the boat but whit out all the rest of paying passengers no body would get to go, i think first come first serve is a better way to do this that way if you book early you get to pick what you want and if you book later well at least you know what you get.

2.Please fix the restrooms they are in a deplorable condition to say the least and when is a 100 people in the boat is bad ! i would suggests to do a complete remodel to put more restrooms especially more for man because it maybe 2 or 3 women vs 97 guys.

3.Please do some video guide lines for new customers so they have an idea of what equipment to bring and what to do when the current is strong what i mean whit this is some people do not understand that they need to use more weight when the current is strong in order to hold bottom last trip a guy next to me pull out a reel to bass fishing attach a 12oz weight and drop it! when the current was raging well this do not went well he manage to tangle me and other 3 guys whit electric reels and a good 45 min loss to a tangle not counting line and gear lost thanks to this guy and the most insanely thing happened after this, when we all re-gear and drop our baits back he came to do it again! i absolutely restrain my self to give advice to a stranger only if asked but this guy need it so i explain to him that he need it at least 3# weight or more when the current is like this and a reel big enough to be able to handle the weight and the fish , some guys where even using 5# i believe explaining this in your web page will be greatly beneficial to new costumers and thus eliminate so many tangles and other frustrating situations.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Man we do the best we can. The benches on the inside are first come first serve on day trips and on the long trips the reason they are given out the morning of is to try to keep groups together. There’s also other reasons, if someone needs a breathing machine to sleep they need to be near an outlet. Also some of our benches in the middle fold up and if we keep them to the same party we don’t have to worry about arguments on weather the bench stays folded up or down.
You are completely right about the bathrooms but that’s a design flaw in the boat, they never should have been built in the front of the boat, other than maybe adding some paint there’s not a lot that can be done to them. I will say that our bathrooms are much better than some of the other boats out there and we do make an attempt to keep them clean.

·
Registered
100 Posts
All boats have some problems. Nothing can be perfect all the time with current and weather as well. Our boats where i live never did deep drop trips so i am sure it can be a nitemare with 80+ peeps in 500ft +. The boat i worked on and fished on since 1979 limits the amount of people to 30 on the 34 hour trips and 50 on the 12 hour trips. It may cost more but who wants to fish long trips with 80+ peeps? As for heads being up front, we had party boat that the heads would spit at you in rough weather.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Man we do the best we can. The benches on the inside are first come first serve on day trips and on the long trips the reason they are given out the morning of is to try to keep groups together. There’s also other reasons, if someone needs a breathing machine to sleep they need to be near an outlet. Also some of our benches in the middle fold up and if we keep them to the same party we don’t have to worry about arguments on weather the bench stays folded up or down.
You are completely right about the bathrooms but that’s a design flaw in the boat, they never should have been built in the front of the boat, other than maybe adding some paint there’s not a lot that can be done to them. I will say that our bathrooms are much better than some of the other boats out there and we do make an attempt to keep them clean.
If we are offering suggestions, if anything could be done to offer live bait (pinfish), i would gladly pay extra. Especially during grouper season.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Are you willing to pay more? Limited load fixes all of your concerns.

My two grips complaints are people using spinning reels bottom fishing and the electric guys with 5 hooks and a lb of hardware on their line, but I try not to complain too much 😂 Its a party boat, people are going to fish how they want to.

@RWC show up an hour early typically really easy to grab 20+ pinfish in half an hour at the dock.

·
Registered
120 Posts

My two grips complaints are people using spinning reels bottom fishing and the electric guys with 5 hooks and a lb of hardware on their line, but I try not to complain too much 😂 Its a party boat, people are going to fish how they want to.

@RWC show up an hour early typically really easy to grab 20+ pinfish in half an hour at the dock.
I drive in from SA the morning of the trip, so dont have a lot of extra time. I would gladly pay someone $10-$15 for 20 pinfish :)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
If we are offering suggestions, if anything could be done to offer live bait (pinfish), i would gladly pay extra. Especially during grouper season.
At one time I was going to try that but all our perch traps we set out got stolen so I gave up on that pretty quick. I had 6 traps and they were all gone within a month.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Cap.Matt, I understand that in the restroom situation y'all have to work whit what you have and try to remodel a boat like yours might be a really daunting endeavor,in respect of the bench situation i hear yours reasons but i still believe that all of that will take care of itself by letting your customers decide for them self's, i can see if a group of people want to go in a trip it will be in there best interest for them to book early and chose however they wanted to be seated more over the folding benches it can be specified at booking that those benches will be up so only choose it if you wanted that way or choose another bench in the situation for people in need of and power outlet that also can be specified at booking that way in my opinion will be more fair to everyone and also be more easier for y'all and it will not look like some people getting better treatment then others even do y'all do not intended to be that way, also like matawest pointed out i understand that its really hard to coordinate people especially at fishing every body want to do it their way but just to give you a good example i fish several times out Yankee Capts and even so you will get in tangles no matter what i can tell you that their job in educating and guiding their anglers really work and cut down the amount of tangles and down time just because miss coordination i being in trips when every body do their thing and get in so many tangles and other easily avoided situations and in trips when every body coordinate following the captains recommendations and everything go really smooth for the anglers and the deck hands too! it is amazing how much fishing can improve if every one is using they same rigs or at least the same weights so you do not have a couple of guys ruing their trips and every body else too, i believe that their job in explaining whit great detail the gear the rigs and the amount of weight and what kind of lead to use it really paid off and make things better for everyone also another great example of this is the Red Rooster in my opinion those guys go above and beyond in educating their anglers maybe to many this sound like a waste of time because because they already know all this stuff but what is logical and commonsense to us is completely oblivious to a new angler thus are the ones they focus on and even to the more experience ones time to time you get to learn something new.

·
821 Posts
I drive in from SA the morning of the trip, so dont have a lot of extra time. I would gladly pay someone $10-$15 for 20 pinfish :)
Some of the bait shops have live pinfish or croaker at times, especially if you let them know ahead of time.

·
821 Posts
The biggest problem I see is mixing the jiggers with the chunkers, if fact, mixing the jiggers with anybody else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This guy thinks he's going fishing with Hilton or the Westin. lol
If you think asking for a better booking experience , decent and sufficient restrooms according to the amount of passengers and a better customer service is asking for the Hilton well yes i want that LoL...But even if nothing of this is improved i still think is an Awesome! Cap & crew and they way i being treated by them is being exceptionally good and that alone will make the trip worth it and hope i can make more trips in the future.

·
Registered
100 Posts

I know my days of party boat fishing are done. This has become a rich mans sport. I am from the old school of keeping everything i get and selling it. Now with limits and closed seasons and cost to go out i pretty much gave it up. No way i would get on any boat with 80 peeps let alone fish with them in 500ft+. I still do work once in a while on the boat i used to work on years ago and we just trade my pay for trips. But for me paying $500 for a 34 hour trip, them days are over for me. Crazy to think a 34 hour trip cost $65 back in the late 80's and sometime you could sell $400 worth of fish. The key to good fishing on any boat is the Capt. Some don't have that extra touch while some just have what it takes to put fish on the decks.

I fished for a living on these boats at times up to two years at a time and it all comes down to the Capt to make money. I know the days of making money are over. I spent over 38 years on all kinds of party boats and seen it all just about. Our boats in my area all run slow now to save fule. I miss the speed days when party boats would fight each other to be the fastest.

·
Registered
165 Posts
There's moments of chaos on any and every party boat you fish, be it east coast, gulf coast and west coast. Ive fished all 3, its the same regardless. It's just part of it and what you're getting into for the low price of getting your saltwater fix. Myself personally, ive learned to avoid the 12 hour party boat trips fishing elbow to elbow.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There's moments of chaos on any and every party boat you fish, be it east coast, gulf coast and west coast. Ive fished all 3, its the same regardless. It's just part of it and what you're getting into for the low price of getting your saltwater fix. Myself personally, ive learned to avoid the 12 hour party boat trips fishing elbow to elbow.
It still beats buying a boat for sure. My friend wants to get a 100k boat and thinks there is money to be made selling fish under the table. I say he is nuts. With gas prices and sucky fishing we have anyone thinking of such a thing needs to be in a nut house. I hard core fished since i was a kid and just burned out on it. This is not the early 1980's anymore when you get could 200lbs of gags on a 11 hour trip. All the best times of my life were on a party boat. Had some crazy trips back in them days.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you do decide or know you're going to get on a packed boat that's going to be elbow to elbow. Here's what I've learned, bring friends, try to make your own group if possible, that way you guys cover your own section of rail. Your buds will be more willing to bring or clear their lines up when one of you hook into a fat 20lb snapper or whatever. People you don't know can be an azz and not be willing to do that, in return it can end up being a mess more often than not.

Fishing your own gear, well that's what we all wanna do. You bought it and damit im fishing it. Most of us have braid on our gear, rightfully so.
But fishing elbow to elbow its working against you and everyone else.
Take the time beforehand at home and pull that braid off. Go to Walmart or wherever and get some that Berkley Big game mono 50lb or better and spool it on there. Its much easier for the deckhands to untangle mono, than have even one guys braid in the mix. You will save money not having your braid chopped to get everyone up and running again.
The bathrooms, well the only thing I know to say is dont fill your gut with food the day before. Its one thing to stand and brace and piss, than have to hover or sit. Because they are all jacked and a freaking mess within the first 2 hours of the boat leaving the dock.

·
1,888 Posts
I have fished this boat as well as Hubbards marina so have limited party boat experience…. That said…

1. thanks to Matt for adding the benches and fold up tops so that everyone has a place to sleep on the overnight trips.
2. Thanks to Matt for the repower and bigger fuel tanks so we can hit Lucious when it makes sense
3. The snapper trips are 85 peeps which is why I only go on tuna trips. We do get tangled still but it is what it is. I use an electric with braid and had to double my weights last time to avoid fishing on my neighbor, but I use cheap braid and a 2 hook boat rig so if it gets cut I don’t care. We normally bring several guys and fish next to each other.
4. Hubbards have livewells under some of the seats for pinfish, that would be awesome to do in the new Buccaneer if possible because I catch pinfish for grouper and AJ
5. Showers would be great but Matt doesn’t have the water capacity unfortunately so it’s baby wipes for now.
6. I personally would like a longer 56 hour trip or two each season but we tried a few and they are hard to fill. If there is interest shout out and maybe we can book one Thanksgiving week…

1 - 20 of 63 Posts