New Bucc Feb 9-10th 30hr Tuna Trip

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by hamster1, Dec 27, 2017.

1. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Great report, David!
    full Ice chest is good, better luck next time on the tunas

hamster1 likes this.
  2. jpgrfan

jpgrfan Active Member

Fishing was slow!

Very nice to meet some of y'all (David, Jimmy, and Byrne).

Looking forward to another time.

:)

hamster1 likes this.

3. get’n jiggy

get’n jiggy Active Member

Nice work fellas! Great effort!

Glad to hear a good report from the floaters. It’s always great to get out and put some hours offshore.

Normally, Boomer is loaded with Bft and Mahi this month :)

4. hamster1

hamster1 Senior Member

First time having barrel... wife asks "how easy is it to catch these fish???" :cool:

Attached Files:

5. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

Wow nice, how did they taste?

6. hamster1

hamster1 Senior Member

Excellent seared. Sashimi isn't terrible. Meat wise it's good. Just the white tissue holding the meat is alittle tough

fillet2release and jiggingnut like this.
  7. scubaarchery

8. jpgrfan

jpgrfan Active Member

That sounds like grouper. Someone on the boat said that restaurants
    would sometimes substitute it for grouper.

:)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  9. Bshaw

Bshaw Active Member

Barrel Fish is hands down just as good as yellow edge grouper or better. Way better than tile. Its like a combo of grouper firm like lobster and, it tastes like it has butter in it. Grill it but, don't over cook it... lightly season.

10. hamster1

hamster1 Senior Member

Wife LOVVVVVVES it!

Little Sprinkle of Ol bay
    Pepper
    Pan sear in butter for 3mins each side
    Place on plate and quick squeze of lemon

fillet2release likes this.
  11. scubaarchery

Hmmm Matt looks like you need to add in some deep drops. Wish you could do some on the way back from the rigs every time. Would be willing to pay a bit more for some fishing on the way back in...

fillet2release and pear12151 like this.
  12. Bshaw

Bshaw Active Member

X2...I want a deep drop only trip... well that isn't $600

13. Bshaw

Bshaw Active Member

like 24 hour trip for like $350 would be perfect... I know the problem with this is too many people too many tangles so weather has to be perfect or not many people. Deep dropping has the absolute best meat you can find.

14. scubaarchery

Would prefer a 36 hour with a couple of deep stops on the way back from the tuna grounds.

fillet2release and hamster1 like this.
  15. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

I’m headed to Venice today!! Look out tuna!

16. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

Sounds like a tough trip. Pretty cool to get on a school of barrels on the hand crank.

17. Bshaw

Bshaw Active Member

I think they had a couple of those last year but, $575 or something close to that.

18. Bshaw

Bshaw Active Member

I don't really know the math for fuel/overhead/profit but, at 24 hrs and 100ish miles one way I would think you could cut the cost some... $400 to $450 I would be all in. One thing I am not quite sure about is the deep dropping good at night? I guess so if they got a wad of barrels on the last trip.

19. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Well-Known Member

We tried to run a few 36hours and have tried to book only bottom trips in the past but we had a hard time getting enough people to go. To do a trip like that we would need perfect conditions and 38 is too many to really deep drop with. In 1000 ft of water we can really only fish 10-12 lines and that is pushing it. In order to do it right it would likely be too expensive. Trust me I would love to run a trip like that, I prefer bottomfishing over tuna fishing any day, expecially for table fare.
    I will do some thinking on this and see if I can come up with any ideas. I know we can do this once AJ season opens, if it ever does. Amberjacks would give us a solid fall back plan if we got out there and the current was too strong to fish for Tiles and Barrels.

20. byrne edwards

byrne edwards Member

I caught the first barrel of the trip on a 10 oz. jig in the glow/natural color that looks like the jigs being painted by Kim on the current glow paint thread. sweet little homemade lure that works in 900 feet!!!

jpgrfan likes this.