New Avets?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by jig, Jul 13, 2009.

1. jig

jig Senior Member

Apparently Avet is launching some heavy hitters soon. An SX with 17# strike and 26# max drag?!

2. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

That's pretty impressive. I guess they had to respond to the new Accurates. Glad I'm not much of a conventional reel kind of guy anymore. I'd have to be buying new reels.

Fred

3. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Those are impressive numbers for such a small reel.

4. Pope

Pope Senior Member

BTW, where did you see this?

5. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

its about time! avets are nice reels and priced right, but they lacked drag in their smaller reels.

7. Grifft

Grifft Senior Member

its about time! avets are nice reels and priced right, but they lacked drag in their smaller reels.

I agree. Their reels are good solid reels, but there's a real difference in the Pro Series and the lighter-class reels like the LX/JX and smaller when you set the reel's drag to it's highest levels.

The Pro-Series stayed smooth; while the LX's, MXLs, ... tended to bind and become tough to crank. At their mid-range drag settings though, they are sweet.

Tom

8. gmack

gmack Senior Member

9. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Looks like Shimano had a similar idea

Shimano Talica II saltwater reel preview
    Man I really like the looks of both of these new options.
    I was sad to part with my JX. I had magged it and could cast it the same distance as my spinners.
    It just did not have the drag that I was looking for. One of these looks like a good option.

10. sam35

sam35 Junior member

I will have to get me a few when they come out.

Sam

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the binding issues still have not been fixed in the small saltist LD and the tallica. I dont know what drag setting i had the reel at, but it was binding a lot when i played with them. the reels didnt have line, so i dont know whether i was at 20 lbs or 35.

as a side note - i am not sure why shimano and daiwa make saltist 20/tallica 20s in 2 speeds.

IMO- the drag preset should be limited to a drag amount that will not cause the reel to bind.

no idea whether this happens to the avet, i havent seen it.

12. dan1

dan1 Senior Member

Man I really like the looks of both of these new options.
    I was sad to part with my JX. I had magged it and could cast it the same distance as my spinners.
    It just did not have the drag that I was looking for. One of these looks like a good option.

I'm not a spinner guy but the specs I see on them have tremendous drag. How is it that a spinner have so much drag compared to a conventional? What are the disadvantages of a spinner?

13. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I think part of it has to do with measuring the drag without a full spool. I have 3 stella that all claim 50# +-. None of them are that high with the spool full.
    The only disadvantage I see with spinners is wind knots. But when you compare that to the chance of a nasty backlash in braided line, I don't consider it a disadvantage. They definately take a little getting used to. But I have decide that I really like fight a fish on a big spinning setup better than a conventional, unless I am in a full harness.

14. RBC67

RBC67 Junior member

IMO I'd go with the Shimano much better testing and quailty control, my last 2 Avets have had issues

15. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

I think part of it has to do with measuring the drag without a full spool. I have 3 stella that all claim 50# +-. None of them are that high with the spool full.
    The only disadvantage I see with spinners is wind knots. But when you compare that to the chance of a nasty backlash in braided line, I don't consider it a disadvantage. They definately take a little getting used to. But I have decide that I really like fight a fish on a big spinning setup better than a conventional, unless I am in a full harness.

For me the big thing is that you cant put a spinner on the rail

16. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Thats true you cannot put a spinner on the rail because of the line rubbing.
    I dont use spinners for anything but popping and I would never put one of my popping rods on the rail.

I would rarely put any rod on the rail for that matter. It seems like cheating to me...:)

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

put the back of your tricep on the rail and pivot on that on the rail when rod is under your arm.

18. kenner21

kenner21 Member

There is a good write up over on Bloodydecks.com in the Avet section, the binding issue is supposed to have been eliminated. I'm curious if they upgraded to a instant anti-reverse.

19. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

The Pro-Series stayed smooth; while the LX's, MXLs, ... tended to bind

TENDED to bind?! -I think more drag was placed on the angler than on the fish!

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

There is a good write up over on Bloodydecks.com in the Avet section, the binding issue is supposed to have been eliminated. .
    I'll be surprised if they can eliminate the binding issue. If they can eliminate the binding issue of LX or HX, their sales will go up sharply.