New Alutecnos Gorilla 12 C

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Mar 21, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

They say it is smaller than regular Gorilla 12. I think they are talking about narrower spool.

They changed the drag adjustment plate on the left side of the reel.
    It will be available on April 1.

I am puzzeled why they opted to go with round knobs as the round knobs of Accurate Boss reels didn't get favorable responses from jig fishermen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I hope JM provides a T-bar handle upgrade for the 12c! I don't like those round knobs... but that is a gorgeous reel!

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i'm not sure I get why the drag adjuster is on the left side. I don't think I'd prefer that, but I've never tried it to know.

The reel does look great, but I'd have preferred the regular gorilla handle :)

4.4:1 gear ratio is ideal.

Is this a 4/0 or 3/0 reel?

4. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

i'm not sure I get why the drag adjuster is on the left side. I don't think I'd prefer that, but I've never tried it to know.

At least the drag adust plate is relatively flat so it should still be easy to palm the reel while jigging.

Bret,

I agree this is one sweet looking reel. Its on my list of reels to get for 2009. Also, the Gorilla 20 red handle would look much better.

I am torn between the following reels:

* Gorilla 12c
    * John Baker 4
    * Accurate B2X-500 or B2X-600

I would really like to know the drag specs for the new B2X reels, Accurate do not seem to like to post them on the website.

Ty

5. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Bret,

I agree this is one sweet looking reel. Its on my list of reels to get for 2009. Also, the Gorilla 20 red handle would look much better.

At least the drag adjust knob is flat so the reel will still be plamable. Also looks like the handle shaft is not welded to the arm, so replacement should be easy.

I am torn between the following reels:

* Gorilla 12c
    * John Baker 4
    * Accurate B2X-500 or B2X-600

I would really like to know the drag specs for the new B2X reels, Accurate do not seem to like to post them on the website.

Ty

6. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I wonder if that drag adjustment moves easy or at all when the drag is engaged? If it does then that will be a problem. Sweet looking reel.

7. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

I wonder if that drag adjustment moves easy or at all when the drag is engaged? If it does then that will be a problem. Sweet looking reel.

On the original Gorilla 12, once the drag is engaged the preset knob will not turn. I'm sure this one is the same.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah im ont worried about the drag moving once the lever is at strike. the drags on lever drag reels should be set/adjusted in free spool anyway. i just thought it was an odd placement.

i agree ty, given that its flat it shouldnt be much of an annoyance. i imagine the drag specs on the new reels are similar to the old 665. they had plenty of drag and i never had drag problems, i just had gear problems that have hopefully been solved.

you feeling better?

9. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

yeah im ont worried about the drag moving once the lever is at strike. the drags on lever drag reels should be set/adjusted in free spool anyway. i just thought it was an odd placement.

i agree ty, given that its flat it shouldnt be much of an annoyance. i imagine the drag specs on the new reels are similar to the old 665. they had plenty of drag and i never had drag problems, i just had gear problems that have hopefully been solved.

you feeling better?
    Bret,

Seems like from the description Accurate focused on fixing those gear problems. So the drag on the old 665 was about 25#, right? I just wish Accurate would publish the drag specs just like other companies in this reel class; sexy looks can only get you so far.

Speaking of sexy, I am torn between the Gorilla 12c (with old handle or JM handle) and the new BX2-500. Leaning more towards the 12c though, and the Baker 4 needs a bit more refinement; I was reading MrBill's comments from 2007 to present on his experience with the Baker 12 reel. I am glad they are listenting and made those improvements.

Yes, thanks for asking. I am starting to feel better this week. It took 5 months and 5 biopies (since JigFest II), but the doctors started a treatment last week wich is working. So count me in for "JigFest V".

Ty