New Accurate Boss Reels

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by MrBill, Mar 5, 2009.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Well, I knew it was coming a while back. It is now a reality. People kept pushing the Boss Series to beyond the design of the reels with spectra line. Especially the B2 or two speed series. Accurate has now come up the plate with the new
    "Extreme 400, 500, 600".

These new boss reels are made to accommodate the extreme fisherman. Those are the guys like me who really like to pour on the drag. They have beefed up the insides to handle the heavy fishing conditions like pulling out big AJ's, grouper, and catching larger tuna.

The new reels are:
    BX2-400. $565 (same size as 270)
    BX2-500. $585 (same size as 870)
    BX2-600. $599 (same size as 665)

If you really don't push your reels to the limit, now is the time to pick up some great deals on the 270's, 870's and 665's. You can probably save about $125 a reel. I assume the (older) models could be history. Parts shouldn't be a problem, as Accurate is a good company and has sold thousands of boss reels. The best thing ever is the whiffle ball knob's are no more. History, gone forever. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    All new reels will have the extreme handle like on the B2-30 and B2-50.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

thats awesome those are great handles. only issue might be weight, but i haven't weighed one.

any idea on specs as far as weight and gearing? my problem with old boss' wasnt really their drag, rather that they were using 6:1 for their high gear which is way too high for jigging purposes. i destroyed 2 665 2-speeds in 2 days of jigging!!:eek:

3. Backlash Scott

Backlash Scott Member

Mr Bill, stay tuned. I believe you are going to see some new spinning reels too sometime this year.

4. mad mike

mad mike Junior member

when do you think they are the going to hit the stores?you just saved me some money was going to buy a 665 to put on a 500gram jm powerspell thanks

5. jig

jig Senior Member

$449 for the 665w. I am sick.

6. tehtuna

tehtuna Junior member

They already are for sale. My buddy has owned a prototype for a couple months now. The main differences are that model numbers are no longer laser etched, they are engraved. The handle and cast control nob are anodized blue(which I don't much care for) Also, the gearing, shifting mechanism and shaft are from the b2-30 and b2-50 (which are from the ATD series).

I'm also pretty sure that they will be discontinuing the old B2 series. Which is why you will see them on sale for approximately $100 of.

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I saw the light about six months ago and I sold all of my boss 2-speeds.:) Now, I must restock with the new ones.:mad:

I think from what I am seeing is that all the single speed boss reels will remain in the lineup. I think, but could be wrong, that all the 2-speed models are all going to be the new extreme series. This is the reason you will start seeing super deals from dealers on the (older 2-speed) models. Even Shimano will let dealers slash prices on discontinued models.

I found some pics on the net of the new reels. Don't be alarmed, they won't be available in just red. Us mill finish silver guys will get ours also.

Attached Files:

8. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Will there be Narrow models?

9. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

charkbait has them in silver.

10. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

I was looking at my rods and reels the other day....it looks like I'm one short of having a nice collection. :D

11. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Ahhhhhh! After I thought I had finished buying all my Accurate gear. Here I go again. :)

12. hawgs

hawgs Member

Any ideas on the width of the B2X-600? I suppose it will be similiar to the width of the 665? I wonder if theres a B2X-600N in the works?

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I think the only changes were internally and the knob. The exterior size and line capacity should be the same. One would think the narrow versions will follow shortly. I"m pretty sure the frame and spool has not changed.

Very seldom did you hear about problems with the single speed boss's. It was the 2-speeds that had issues. If you have one of the original 2-speeds you need to send it back for the stronger gears. I understand the gears and installation is free. You should only be out the postage.

14. rhale

rhale Senior Member

If you have one of the original 2-speeds you need to send it back for the stronger gears. I understand the gears and installation is free. You should only be out the postage.

So with the stronger gears it would be the same as the new reel minus the new handle????

If thats the case then it would be better to buy one of the now discounted older models and send it to Accurate for the free upgrade, buy the xtreme handle and your set......

I have an older one that I sent back to Accurate 4 times with gear issues and the last time it took a while to get it back because they said they were waiting on new stronger parts they had coming. I assume that this was it but that was about a year ago so I plan to send it for the upgrade.

15. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

So with the stronger gears it would be the same as the new reel minus the new handle????

If thats the case then it would be better to buy one of the now discounted older models and send it to Accurate for the free upgrade, buy the xtreme handle and your set......

I have an older one that I sent back to Accurate 4 times with gear issues and the last time it took a while to get it back because they said they were waiting on new stronger parts they had coming. I assume that this was it but that was about a year ago so I plan to send it for the upgrade.
    I wonder if he meant the older meaning prior to having the cast control or something like that. I like my 665 2speed. It hasn't given me any problems... But for a jigging reel I could do without the cast control.

If accurate has updraded internals I will definately be sending it in.

16. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Any ideas on the width of the B2X-600? I suppose it will be similiar to the width of the 665? I wonder if theres a B2X-600N in the works?

I spoke to their production manager today and the 600 series will be the standard size 665. Their wide and narrow will come soon.

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

So with the stronger gears it would be the same as the new reel minus the new handle????.

I see your point. I think the shaft in the extreme series is bigger and stronger.
    I believe that they are using the same shaft and gears that are used in their new B2-30 and B2-50. I don't work for Accurate or have any connections so take this with a grain of salt. I'll give them a call and see if I can get some real facts. Accurate like all other West Coast people have almost all of their employees working booths at the Fred Hall Fishing show that is going on right now.

Here is the only thing I can find about the new extreme boss series. This picture was taking from Accurate's web site.

Attached Files:

18. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Rhale

Accurate told me, less than 2 months ago that I would have to pay for the upgrade gears if there wasn't anything wrong with my gears.

d-a

19. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I just called up Accurate. I was right. Everyone in the know, is working the Accurate booth at the Fred Hall show. The girl that answered the phone could only tell me that every thing they Incorporated in the guts of the B2-30 and the B2-50 went into the new BX2 series. The BX2 reels are just smaller in size.

20. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Rhale

Accurate told me, less than 2 months ago that I would have to pay for the upgrade gears if there wasn't anything wrong with my gears.

d-a

Wow something misteriously just happened to the gears in my reel:D :D :D J/K
    My reel has worked fine since the last fix and believe me, I put it to the test as soon as I got it back to make sure it would not break again....
    I will wait for the narrow model and then I guess I will have to buy another reel dangit......;)