New 760L build for jigging

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by ttt, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ttt

ttt Junior member

I'm seeking advices on building a 5ft jigging rod for a Stella 20K. I'm thinking cutting down the CS 760L & 13 in rear grip, DPSH reel seat, 12 in foregrip, Fuji MNSG 40, 25, 16, 12 (x 2), & tip of 12. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

3. ttt

ttt Junior member

I would love to try out the OTI out. I didn't know that I can buy an OTI blank - so I just went with CS which I am familiar with. Do send me the pics of the ones you built. I'd like to know the details too. Thanks.

4. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I built a jigging rod on the 760L and it worked out OK but for my style it is to light. The next try I used a 700XH and cut it down to 5'7" and this worked out great. It has a soft tip and alot of backbone when you need it. Good luck with the build.

5. ttt

ttt Junior member

Rhale,
    I was worried about the action on the 700XH once cut down that's why I thought about cutting 1ft off the 760L. Did you just trim from the back end or both ends?
    I did a long jig/bait rod with a cut down 800H to 7.5ft (cut on both ends) with choker rings & AA acid rollers for spinning. My initial thought was to have a casting rod but it was actually is quite a beast to handle. I ended up using it more for chunking & bottom fishing rather than popping. Although a bit heavy & long, it makes short work of YFT and just about anything that I've hooked up.

6. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

ttt I think th CS is a good choice if your still looking try a GUSA 602 or 603 ..I think they make a better rod for jigging..Try the NERBS website B40 has a 5' one I think..But send him a email I sure he can help..If your building the rod go with the better blanks CS or GUSA ....

7. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Rhale,
    I was worried about the action on the 700XH once cut down that's why I thought about cutting 1ft off the 760L. Did you just trim from the back end or both ends?
    I did a long jig/bait rod with a cut down 800H to 7.5ft (cut on both ends) with choker rings & AA acid rollers for spinning. My initial thought was to have a casting rod but it was actually is quite a beast to handle. I ended up using it more for chunking & bottom fishing rather than popping. Although a bit heavy & long, it makes short work of YFT and just about anything that I've hooked up.

I cut from both ends and the action is just about perfect for me. It works well with jigs from 200 grams on up and has put the hurt on every fish caught so far (nothing huge but some decent 60+ pound AJ's)

8. Fullboar

Fullboar Guest

I don't know what you are fishing for but on the west coast of Australia (Perth) the Calstar Graphiter 760L cut down to 5'8" would be one of the most common custom made jigging rods. We use them with 37kg (80lb or PE8) braid and average 400gram jigs in 120 meters (350 feet) of water to catch Samson fish (cousin of the yellow tail and amberjack). Most of the fish average around 30 to 35kg (65 to 75lb) and up to 50kg (110lb) (and usually nothing smaller than 25kg (55lb). These things hit like freight trains and just about tear your arms off then you have to muscle them all the way out of 120 meters of water using 15 plus kilo's of drag. If you can catch and land more then 5 or 6 of these Samson Fish in a day your a lot better then me. The 760L has about a close feeling to a Japanese jigging rod as you can get in a USA made blank with a softish tip for working jigs and they are parabolic bending back to the forgrip. I would say they fish 37kg (80lb or PE8) to the max and are good for jigs from 200 to 550 gram and up to 20kg (45lb) of drag.
    I have some others say that the GF760L was to light and went for the GF760M but that was way over the top it was hard to fish it effectively with 400gram jigs and 10 to 15kg (20 to 32lb) of drag. If you want it heavier you are better off cutting a couple of inches from the tip of the GF760L. You would be surprised how much more power you get and how much heavier it feels cutting those couple of inches off the tip.
    Like I said I like the 760L cut down to 5'8" with a 13-14 inch butt and a 8 to 10 inch forgrip and if I am building a spin rod I go 40, 25, 16, 12, 12, 12 tip and if its a overhead I usually go 30, 25, 20, 16, 16, 12, 12 and 12 tip. Just quietly if you cut a Batson Rainshadow live bait blank (RCLB70M) down (around 1 to 1-1/2 inch from the tip and the rest from the butt) to 5'8" it is that close to a GF760L in action and weight and power its not funny.
    IMHO jigging rods like this also make the best bottom fishing rods around they are also very light and are easy to hold all day. If you are looking for a nice 24kg (50lb or PE5) jigging blank have a look at the Lamiglas 6650 50lb jigging blank it feels pretty good as well.

9. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone built a jigging rod on one of the 4'10" graphiters?

10. ttt

ttt Junior member

Unfortunately, work commitment has put a hold on my rod building.
    I do have a 760M spinning that I built recently. It is stock length with 14 in butt & foregrip, with SIC 40, 25, 16, 12 x4 & tip. I'll be trying it out next weekend on the Big E if Gustav & Hanna don't interfere. I was hoping to build the 760L cut down to compare to the 760M.
    I infer from your post that you would normally cut 4 in from the back end of the 760L. Is that correct?

11. Fullboar

Fullboar Guest

Hi Txseadog
    Yes I have made a few jigging rods out of the GF410. They make a real nice jig stick they are a little heavier then the 760L
    Heres a pic of the GF410 in action
    EDIT: Pic By "Al Bevan"

Attached Files:

12. red34

red34 Guest

Just quietly if you cut a Batson Rainshadow live bait blank (RCLB70M) down (around 1 to 1-1/2 inch from the tip and the rest from the butt) to 5'8" it is that close to a GF760L in action and weight and power its not funny. IMHO jigging rods like this also make the best bottom fishing rods around they are also very light and are easy to hold all day.

i stole this from another thread because it matches a rod build that i'd like to do.

i am making a rod that i think is pretty similar to what is being described here. i was going to make it with the rainshadow RCTB60H (6' 40-80# x-fast). i'm really not able to touch and feel the blanks...and i have no real experience with heavy deep jigging.

what i want is a heavy jigging rod that can double for dropping live baits to the bottom for aj's and grouper.

what do you think the difference would be between these 2 rod blanks after the one is cut down? and based on what i want it to do, which rod would you feel would be the best choice for me?

my reel choices:
    Avet JX 4.6
    Avet LX 4.6
    Daiwa Saltist 40
    Daiwa Saltist 50

i was thinking about 80# spectra.