New $160 Jigging Reel ?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Nov 2, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It looks impressive for the money.

one minutes of free spool out of box.

One piece machined aluminum with Type 2 anodizing and all stainless steel components. There is nothing skimpy about these reels. Quality throughout and uncompromising performance.

The Tigre 300 I is a smaller and lighter reel with a good line capacity and lighter weight. We like this reel for deep jigging and pitching bait to cobias and dolphins. Great with 40 lbs braid. Ratio 5.2:1, Line capacity 20lbs/230 yds, Weight 16 oz.

Features:

One piece machined aluminum body

Preset drag

Oversized carbon/stainless drag system

All stainless steel gears

5+1 all stainless steel ball bearings

Silent anti-reverse

Comfortable ergonomic handle

Loud clicker alarm

Outstanding free-spool performance

Braid Ready Design!

2 Year StingRay Warranty!

[​IMG]

2. calebw

calebw Member

Looks good, how much drag can you get. Kil, what are your thoughts about the fin-nor OFC 16L. It is $199 with 35 pounds of drag. I am really thinking about buying one and slapping a JPR custom or riley rod. What do you think?

3. crazy8

crazy8 Senior Member

I have the OFC 20. Upgraded Carbontex. Smooth as can be. Great reel for the money. No tuna this year on it. Just some 200+ lb blue sharks.

This Stingray looks sweet. Looks and sounds like an SX Avet.

4. private pilot

private pilot Junior member

I also have the OFC 20. Definately upgrade the drag! After a few good runs with Ajs, I'm down to about 7lbs Max. Great lookin reel kil!

5. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Kil, that looks very very similar to the OMOTO/Pelagic reel I have. Ebay search omoto pelagic vs10. I have a 2 speed version and it is a tank. I know Omoto has been knocked around a little for their way too similar resemblance to Avet but they are out there, they are fishable, and they do work.

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, that looks very very similar to the OMOTO/Pelagic reel I have. Ebay search omoto pelagic vs10. I have a 2 speed version and it is a tank. I know Omoto has been knocked around a little for their way too similar resemblance to Avet but they are out there, they are fishable, and they do work.
    I think the reels are OMOTO reels for American market. I heard that the reel is like upgraded Avet reel with less money.

7. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

upgraded avet for less money? sounds like a winner to me.

8. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

Hank Williams, a captain in the west coast of fl who specialize in jigging had been using this reel for quite sometime and he seems to like it.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I ordered 400 I today. I have to pay retail price of $180 fot it as they say the minimum order of a dealer is $500.
    I'll decide whether I dump the reel or make more orders after I test them to the limit. :)

10. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

the pictures in the tear down make this thing look like an exact copy of the avet sx. so here we go, a great way to spend 25 less dollars than an american made american designed reel on a reel that is a rip off by a overseas manufacturer. in this day and age where american unemployment is reaching near 10% why not buy something that is MADE IN THE USA.

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

the pictures in the tear down make this thing look like an exact copy of the avet sx. so here we go, a great way to spend 25 less dollars than an american made american designed reel on a reel that is a rip off by a overseas manufacturer. in this day and age where american unemployment is reaching near 10% why not buy something that is MADE IN THE USA.
    I don't know it is copy of Avet or not as I am not familiar with inside mechanism of a reel and I didn't see the reel myself.
    But your comment raised a question. If Chinese guys can upgrade Avets reels, why not Avet can upgrade the existing reels ?
    The major problem of Avet reels is binding problem. They should take care of the problem before they resort to MADE IN U.S.A.

12. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

The major problem of Avet reels is binding problem. They should take care of the problem before they resort to MADE IN U.S.A.

We know that Avet now has the Raptor SX w/ 17lbs at strike. Not too shabby for a tiny little reel. Meanwhile I'll say I have the regular SX and it is my go to reel for inshore fishing. Sure it doesn't get a bizillion pounds of drag at strike but for all my practical intents and purposes that I have for it as an inshore reel it does all I'll ever need it to do.

Avet builds a great reel as long as you fish it within its specs. Binding problem is only outside its given range.

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

We know that Avet now has the Raptor SX w/ 17lbs at strike. Not too shabby for a tiny little reel. Meanwhile I'll say I have the regular SX and it is my go to reel for inshore fishing. Sure it doesn't get a bizillion pounds of drag at strike but for all my practical intents and purposes that I have for it as an inshore reel it does all I'll ever need it to do.

Avet builds a great reel as long as you fish it within its specs. Binding problem is only outside its given range.
    I have several Avet reels and I used SX quiet extensively. I let you know the difference between Tigre reel and Avet reel after I test Tigre reel.

14. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

i will anxiously await the results of your testing. however i cannot help but wish it to have lackluster performance.

all in all making a near exact copy of another reel is stealing.
    there is no rocket science to the business equation of stealing another design (without investing in research and development, engineering design, and testing) and sell it for less money.

if the stingray tigre 400 is in-fact the omoto vs 10 then Mr. Tani has already documented that this reel has more binding problems than the Avet SX.
    by the specs however it matches up better with a avet jx/lx.

15. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

if I ever wanted another small conventional reel, i would just get the JM PE4 and be done with it :) but nice find Kil! Looks like a great reel for an economical price.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I got Tigre 400 I speed reel from StingRay Tackle today.
    Their service is very impressive though they wouldn't allow me to buy it at wholesale price. ;)

The reel size is simlar to Avet MX or JM PE5 with wider spool. It could be same size of upcoming JM PE6 reel, which is much smaller than Daiwa Saltiga 40/50.

I hate to say that this reel could be better than Avet reel.
    I set the drag ove 20 lbs at strike, but there are not much binding problem.
    However, the handle of the reel is too short for my taste and knob design is so and so.
    The free spool is very good. It last about 20 seconds out of box, not 60 - 70 second free spool reported.

I am not going to carry the reel for my shop until I fully test it on the water.
    I hope I land nice bluefin in 150 -200 lbs with the reel before season ends as it can be a good test for the durability, cranking power and drag.

17. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

If Chinese guys can upgrade Avets reels, why not Avet can upgrade the existing reels ?

I'm no Avet reel engineer but I studied science in college (just mentioning to set an example) and over the years I learned a lot about science that came from the work of other people A LOT SMARTER THAN I AM/EVER WILL BE. It was much easier for me to learn something that has already been known that it ever was for someone else to discover it from scratch. Sure I understand Einstein's Theory of Relatively, but would I have ever come up with it? Hell no! Not to mention, when I learn this stuff I am learning it from a fresh mind/perspective, which can help me further expand on the subject matter perhaps better than those initial discoverers because their minds have been "locked" in on their initial work, and they lose their freedom of thought. I believe this is analogous to what see happen in the world of fishing reels.

I would imagine that while Avet has spent their time designing and producing their reel some foreign company is starting right from the top and using their time to find ways to improve an already designed reel when Avet did all the initial work for them.

It's gotta be easier to look at an already made reel with a fresh, outside perspective and spend all your time and energy finding ways to improve on it (because your NOT doing anything else) compared to building a reel FROM SCRATCH and taking the reel to the same performance level, while meanwhile having to face the business end of it which is to get the reel on the market and generate some cash flow.

JM spent how many years analyzing Accurate reels before they put together an improved version of them? I'm sure Accurate is faced with other business challenges that take time and money away from research and product development. In any case, Avet and Accurate did all the hard work in the beginning and now others are looking to capitalize on it.

So lets face it, it is easier to win a race with or without a head start?

It's clearly no secret that I love Avet and Accurate reels and am happy to own a piece of equipment that was well designed from the ground up. Not some real creation that was "taken" from another companies original work.

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Its been for years since Avet reel came out, but we didn't see much improvement. Look at what Accurate has been doing for Boss reels. They have been upgrading their reels so fast, some retail takcle stores complain. :)
    Tigra has even gradual drag curve. :eek:

Here are comparison pictures of Saltiga 40, Tigre 400 I and JM PE5 reels.
    In fact, the diameter of Tigre is a little smaller than PE5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

The main point I'm trying to make it that it's much easier to come along and improve someone else's already existing product than to make something original yourself. And while the first party can devote all their time towards finding ways of improvement the second party still has to run a business.

And a second thing, when these other reels come out and they are cheaper, well, no wonder, lower cost of research and development since nearly all the work was already done for them!

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You have a point.
    But my job is to find better reels for other fishermen. :)
    If Avet makes good reels, I don't hisitate to recommend Avets.
    You have no idea how much I expected when I heard they develop jigging reels called HX. I followed a whole year for the development as I thought it could be an ultimate jigging reel I had been looking for.