360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 34' Mainship Pilot and preparing it over the winter for offshore use. Planning on 5 to 6 rigs. Early spring fishing will be in the Chesapeake for strippers, but will move to the Delaware shore in late spring for tuna, bill fish, etc., until November.

I'm looking at the Penn 16VSX, Avet HX and Accurate BX2-400s/500s. As it stands now I'm leaning towards Accurate. I suspect the BX2-500 is overkill for Chesapeake strippers, but can I get away with BX2-400s for both? Any reason (other than cost) to rethink Avet and Penn?

Thanks!

·
1,553 Posts
avet 30s and up are pretty damn good for the money. accurate 400 and any smaller avet is good for large stripers, but 2 speed is uneccesary. HX is good size for all the fish your targeting

·
580 Posts
A sweet reel that size and cost would be JM PE4 or 5. Small enough to go after Togs/Stripers and other light action and heavy enough to tango w/ tunas. You can probably ask Kilsong about the reel.

·
162 Posts
Overkill for bass.What methods will you be fishing for stripers?Live bait,artificials?
Offshore will you be mostly jigging?trolling,chunking?

Thats a pretty wide spectrum for 1 reel to fill.

Id look at the PE4.Might be best for all of those,but id get inshore setups and offshore setups.Good luck.

·
724 Posts
The new Hoo-X Raptors from Avet should make a great choice. They are very versatile as they have lots of drag and are easier to cast than most conventionals.

·
162 Posts
He's looking for multiple rigs.
Sorry, im confused.
When you say chesapeke stripers I think small spinning reels with 20 lb braid.Throwing unweighted bass assassins,small poppers,etc.Not avet HX.

·
652 Posts
Avet SX (not raptor) for bass/inshore. Lots of options for offshore but Avets or Accurates would be my choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies and advice. I know that I'm looking at a wide range of gear requirements (inshore and offshore), just wanted to see of there is a sweet spot where I could get maximum use out of quality stuff. I have surf and fly fished for years, but other than an occasional charter, this is new territory for me.

Thanks again.

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
I've had several Avets and a 16VSX. The only Avet I liked was the 30/2. Not a fan of the 16VSX either. Avet 30/2 build quality and overall feel was much nicer than VSX IMO.

Small Avet lever drags will have binding issues (with non-raptor versions) and there is no instant anti-reverse bearing. These were both deal breakers for me for jigging, especially when there are so many other good options out there.

I'd Definitely go with star drags for casting and jigging duties. I'd actually get a mix of spinning and conventional rigs. But if they were all conventional and I had a handful to pick... I'd get:

1) Daiwa Pluton for 20lb casting.
2) Saltiga 15 or OJ1500 30-50lb light jigging.
3) Saltiga 30T for 60lb jigging.
4) OJ4000 (or Saltiga 40. But I like the narrow OJ4000 better) for 80lb jigging rod.
5) Gorilla 12 or Accurate B2-30 for anything heavier. (I'd pick Gorilla since it holds plenty of PE8 and I can't handle much more than 25lbs for any length of time anyway. :) But it lacks the line capacity of the B2-30.)

Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts