360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm all new here. Recently I got my hand on a Temple Reef Levitate 68-1. It said the rod are for 100-300g lures but it doesn't say anything about line weight on it. I'm kinda leaning toward for the Ocea Jigger 2001HG. What would you recommend to put on and why ? So I could get a good idea of what to get for reel and line. If any of you also own a Levitate, would you mind to show me your setup. Please feel free to comment, any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also teamed my Levitate's with Ocea jiggers when I first purchased them. I wished Accurate would have had the valiant for sale sooner. If I were to get a reel for a Levitate 68-1 my choice now will be the Accurate Valiant BV-300 and spool it with a PE 1.5 or PE-2.

Benny
Thanks Benny,

My last two reel I came down to was the BV2-400 and the 2000HG, now you mention a PE2 would do the job, I'm thinking maybe now I'll get the 1000 or 1500 or BV2-400 or BV-300 instead. I was wondering if you could tell me the difference between the Ocea Jigger and the Valiant from your personal experience. What do you think about the 4 I just mentioned.

Thanks,
D

·
Retired Member
5,138 Posts
Out of the four you mentioned my choice would be the BV-300. Choosing the valiant over the Ocea Jigger is only my opinion. For me the valiant feels better in my hands when reeling, is lighter in weight, and has more drag pressure. I prefer star drag over lever for Jigging but still choose the valiant over the Jigger or the new tern. If you’re looking for more line capacity, or the need for a heavier PE, I would go with the valiant BV-500N not the 400. Remember the rod is only rated for the best jig action. When reeling best to point the rod in the direction of the line and crank slow and steady. Also like SA said the spiral twist is going to the left on the Levitate so a right hand retrieve would be best. If you go with the valiant the longer handle is also a must.

Benny

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not sure if u wanna use a lefty reel.. as levitate is spiral wrap for right reels.
I have a Temple Reef Gravitate G-2 and a Shimano Torium HG 16 left hand retrieve for slow pitch jigging. I haven't noticed any problems with the spiral wrapped guides yet with me using it left handed. Why do the spiral wrapped guides have to be installed in different directions for left and right hand retrieve?

·
Banned
233 Posts
I have a Temple Reef Gravitate G-2 and a Shimano Torium HG 16 left hand retrieve for slow pitch jigging. I haven't noticed any problems with the spiral wrapped guides yet with me using it left handed. Why do the spiral wrapped guides have to be installed in different directions for left and right hand retrieve?
I thik it's more of a myth vs a fact, wrapping the guides in certain directions.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I thik it's more of a myth vs a fact, wrapping the guides in certain directions.
I guess I'm too inexperienced at SPJ to notice any difference!!! BTW, I also have a Torium16 HG that is right hand wind. I might use the right hand one. I've put it on a rod and dropped a few jigs in my "practice area" but didn't notice ant difference except my rod hand cramped up a little why I used the RH retrieve reel vs. the LH.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The whole debate about spiral wrapped left vs right it's mostly about how the line is piling on your reel.
According to the experts, it should help your line lay equally on your spool.

If you still thumbed your line while retrieving, it shouldn't be any issues regarless of the guides direction.
I intentionally spool my reels with some space left on the spool instead of filling them to the max so if I do pile line on one side of the spool it won't screw anything up. I got 550 yds. of 30 lb. invisibraid plus about 20-30 yards of 30 lb. mono backing on my Torium 16HGAL and it could've held 50-100 more yards of braid on it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've got 50-100 yards of 50 lb. mono backing and 300 yds. of 50 lb. JBraid8 on my Tern 500 too. Same thing - I don't have to worry about the line piling up too much if I accidentally ignore spreading it evenly when I retrieve. If a get some extra cash I might go ahead and take some backing off and put 400 yards or more of 50 lb braid on the Tern

·
Retired Member
5,138 Posts
Good to hear! It just may be a theory? May be no truth to it at all.

Benny

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damn guys, now in confused. I'm a righty but I've been fishing lefty reel since I started fishing and it always feel better that way. If I could get away with lefty reel without defeating the purpose of the guides direction, I would definitely want a left handle reel.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It's personal preference. I know some people like the spiral in same direction as reel handle side so you can lay the rod down. Other like it to be the opposite side. I've used both left and right on spiral directions w/no problem. I also have a lefty torium 16 w/525 yds of 30lb j-braid and a 30ft 50lb vanish so glad to hear you got similar capacity.

I also don't rly line lay much with a narrow jigging reel, sometimes i'll tilt the reel left or right to line lay instead of guiding it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Out of the four you mentioned my choice would be the BV-300. Choosing the valiant over the Ocea Jigger is only my opinion. For me the valiant feels better in my hands when reeling, is lighter in weight, and has more drag pressure. I prefer star drag over lever for Jigging but still choose the valiant over the Jigger or the new tern. If you're looking for more line capacity, or the need for a heavier PE, I would go with the valiant BV-500N not the 400. Remember the rod is only rated for the best jig action. When reeling best to point the rod in the direction of the line and crank slow and steady. Also like SA said the spiral twist is going to the left on the Levitate so a right hand retrieve would be best. If you go with the valiant the longer handle is also a must.

Benny
i too usually prefer star drags in light lines over lever but rly like the valiant. Have valiant and ocea jigger in several sizes and agree valiant feels very solid and light but prefer the quickness of star drag.

Why do you prefer the 500N size over 400? The 400 is still pretty narrow and might holds more line. Am thinking of getting a tern eventually.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.