Need some opinions on a previous gen Stella SWPG

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Fish'nFool, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Fish'nFool

Fish'nFool Member

What are everyone's thoughts on this reel? (previous generation to STL) Not familiar with the previous generation PG reels. Is/was it a US model?

Thanks for any input.

2. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Previous version SW8000PG is identical to 8000FA. (SW8000HG had 5.7:1 gear ratio) It also included spare spool and additional accessories from the factory. But exactly the same reel.

3. Fish'nFool

Fish'nFool Member

stupid question; so why is it called the SWPG and not the FA if it is the same reel? Or is this model a previous generation to even the FA? And doesn't the PG have the Power Gear 4:9.1 ratio?

4. Jason4606

Japanese Domestic Market model shipped with extra spool and accessories, and I'll have to check when I get home, but I think also a unique serial number. The model number is only to differentiate between which are JDM and which are Rest Of World. (ROW ;))

Yes, the JDM 8000PG is same as ROW 8000FA but it's 5:1.

As you know a High Gear model of 8000FA was not offered. JDM 8000HG has 5.7:1 sim to ROW 6000FA with larger capacity 8000 spools.

Clear as mud? :)

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

The power gear ratio for the JDM 8kSWPG was 5:1 instead of 4.9:1 like the newer 2008 8kSWPG. They are essentially the same gearing.

6. Fish'nFool

Fish'nFool Member

Japanese Domestic Market model shipped with extra spool and accessories, and I'll have to check when I get home, but I think also a unique serial number. The model number is only to differentiate between which are JDM and which are Rest Of World. (ROW ;))

Yes, the JDM 8000PG is same as ROW 8000FA but it's 5:1.

As you know a High Gear model of 8000FA was not offered. JDM 8000HG has 5.7:1 sim to ROW 6000FA with larger capacity 8000 spools.

Clear as mud? :)

Clear as mud! :confused: So this is a JDM reel as opposed to a ROW reel which we would find in the states? US dealers don't sell JDM reels?

From a service standpoint will Shimano US still repair/service a JDM reel aka an8000 SWPG?

So according to lordhell this reel has the same gear ratio as the 8000FA.

Are there any other mechanical or construction differences between this JDM model reel and a US spec 8000FA?

Thanks guys, sorry for all of the questions...

7. Jason4606

They are identical reels. I haven't had to send mine off for any service. But parts are all the same so I can't imagine any issues...

Maybe my wording above confused this. When I said "the JDM 8000PG is same as ROW 8000FA but it's 5:1," I was just trying to clarify that they are not 4.9:1. I probably should have said "They are identical reels. But they are both 5:1, not 4.9:1." ;)

Again... They are identical reels. The only differences are superficial - the labels/packaging, extra spool and accessories. (There's no serial number, I checked.)

Better? :)

8. Fish'nFool

Fish'nFool Member

Yup, thanks for the feedback, very helpful!

9. tmd

tmd Large Member

10. Fish'nFool

Fish'nFool Member

Great write up, thanks for sharing!

11. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I hope I speak for everyone here, but you don't ever need to be sorry for asking questions, if someone doesnt want to answer, they won't. People on this forum get off on talking this stuff. I just wish I knew more of the models that get discussed.

Good Luck-BFT