Need some advice on Torium vs Tyrnos

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by red34, Nov 25, 2008.

1. red34

red34 Guest

I just got a Torium 30 but I believe the reel is a little small for what I want it to do. I'd like to fill it with either 80 or 100# Spectra for bottom fishing AJ's etc.. and chunking for YFT.

I'm thinking about trading up for either a Torium 50 ($80 upgrade) a Tyrnos 20 ($50 upgrade) or a Tyrnos 20 2-spd ($149 upgrade)

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

The Toriums are notorious for blowing up the antireverse bearings. Mine broke 3 times in 5 trips this summer. Shimano finally replaced it with a new reel and i sold it and got a Daiwa Saltist 40.

3. red34

red34 Guest

The Toriums are notorious for blowing up the antireverse bearings. Mine broke 3 times in 5 trips this summer. Shimano finally replaced it with a new reel and i sold it and got a Daiwa Saltist 40.

I have a Saltist 30T and will be putting a 40 on a heavier Jigging setup. Probably on a 7'6" 80# OTI.

I'm looking for a lot more line capacity and a little heavier setup on this one.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

so, you want a single speed, strong reel that will be good for bottom fishing and can be used for chunking?

6/0 senator with carbontex drags (could do 9/0 but thats overkill IMO). not fancy or shiny or pretty but it'll work for what you're talking about. id look for an older one...newer ones dont seem to be as good. i've caught a 150lb sword and 150-160lb bluefin on it with no problem. and it only had 50lb mono on it too :)

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I have a Saltist 30T and will be putting a 40 on a heavier Jigging setup. Probably on a 7'6" 80# OTI.

I'm looking for a lot more line capacity and a little heavier setup on this one.

Try the 50 Saltist.

6. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

so, you want a single speed, strong reel that will be good for bottom fishing and can be used for chunking?

6/0 senator with carbontex drags (could do 9/0 but thats overkill IMO). not fancy or shiny or pretty but it'll work for what you're talking about. id look for an older one...newer ones dont seem to be as good. i've caught a 150lb sword and 150-160lb bluefin on it with no problem. and it only had 50lb mono on it too :)

Totally agree. Senator reels are over looked because they are ugly but they do the job. My buddy has landed a 44# and 51# black grouper in the Dry Tortugas on a 4/0 fill with 80lb mono. With the carbontex drag upgrade it just a plus.

7. red34

red34 Guest

i went ahead and did the tyranos single speed on a non-roller 60-80# class rod. i'm probably going to spool it with 80-100# spectra and make 60 and 100# topshots depending on chunking or doing bottom drops for grouper/aj's. i will get a 30w 2-speed in the future, but i feel like this will work fine for party boats for now. i've never had a 2 speed before so the way i see it, i don't know what i'm missing, so i'll be fine with this one.