Need some advice for trip next week

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Staven, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Staven

Staven Senior Member

Ok here it goes. Finally going to get out next week jigging for AJ and Grouper out of Sebastian FL.

Trick is we are jigging in 280 ft or slightly deeper. My dilemma is can my rods actually do what they need to do. The guide said bring 250 - 300 gram jigs. Ok easy enough. Here is my question. I have a Trevala F XXH spinning rod and a Zenaq 53-8 (was going to sell but it has not sold, so might as well use it:D ). Can either of those rods be used for 300 gram jigs in 250 feet of water? (or handle 15 - 20# of drag) Also do I need to put my stella 20K on them or can I use my stella 8K? I have 230yds of Daiwa PE5 line on it (supposed to be 70 lb test? per daiwa).

I also have a Van Staal 500 gram jigging rod 5'8" I believe that I was going to put my Stella 20K, and a Van Staal Conventional 325 gram and 500 gram rods. On the 325 I was going to put my Torque 200 and on the 500 gram rod I was going to put my Gorilla 12 ( it has 360 yds of suffix 80lb braid).

Are these setups ok?

I bought a few Shimano Flat side jigs in 8 - 10oz range and River2Sea Spike jigs in 320 gram, and a bunch of OTI 300 gram jigs (Jager I think).

Any ideas, recommendations, constructive Criticism? SHould I change out my rods in the future for other rods? Am I too light in my thinking on the rod strength?

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Gabe

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Ok here it goes. Finally going to get out next week jigging for AJ and Grouper out of Sebastian FL.

Trick is we are jigging in 280 ft or slightly deeper. My dilemma is can my rods actually do what they need to do. The guide said bring 250 - 300 gram jigs. Ok easy enough. Here is my question. I have a Trevala F XXH spinning rod and a Zenaq 53-8 (was going to sell but it has not sold, so might as well use it:D ). Can either of those rods be used for 300 gram jigs in 250 feet of water? (or handle 15 - 20# of drag) Also do I need to put my stella 20K on them or can I use my stella 8K? I have 230yds of Daiwa PE5 line on it (supposed to be 70 lb test? per daiwa).

I also have a Van Staal 500 gram jigging rod 5'8" I believe that I was going to put my Stella 20K, and a Van Staal Conventional 325 gram and 500 gram rods. On the 325 I was going to put my Torque 200 and on the 500 gram rod I was going to put my Gorilla 12 ( it has 360 yds of suffix 80lb braid).

Are these setups ok?

I bought a few Shimano Flat side jigs in 8 - 10oz range and River2Sea Spike jigs in 320 gram, and a bunch of OTI 300 gram jigs (Jager I think).

Any ideas, recommendations, constructive Criticism? SHould I change out my rods in the future for other rods? Am I too light in my thinking on the rod strength?

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Gabe

Gabe,

The only rod I would question would be the Trevala, the Van Staal 500 and the Zenaq should be fine. You are not too light with 400g & 500g rods, you should be perfect with 250-300g jigs. The flat sided jigs were really popular up here in the Northeast as they are made for a drifting boat and have been very successful. Tight lines and good luck

3. wacker

wacker Senior Member

Dang! I miss the old days when you bought drugs by the gram and rods and line by the pound.:confused:

All I know is with all these parabolic gram rods and new jigs/spectra there is a lot more two piece rods than folks bargained for. slow rods and tall rails cause people to high stick = broken rod. Also guys seem to have forgotten that a 40 lb rod can't hold 40 lb of drag, I always follow the 1/3 rule and never break rods.
    Good luck over there.

4. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

..............................................................................................
    To stay out of the tech side of your question.
    These are SLAM YOU TO THE RAIL type of fish.
    Don't take a cat to a Dog fight.

Hints from Heliaweeeezs

Phish Kaddie;)