360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Need Revolver Scope Advice

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  CDB 
#1 ·
Gents:

I own a Smith & Wesson .460 XVR (bought from Cabosandinh) which will also chamber the .454 Casull. I put a Nikon Force XR BDC 2.5 - 8X scope on it. I have shot it on 4 occasions, using the .454 round, and I keep hitting the target low. Per the tech specs, for every click on the scope adjustment, it's supposed to move the point of impact 1/4 inches at 100 yds.

The problem is that when I make adjustments to the scope, I keep hitting the target low. It seems that no matter how many clicks I apply, I keep hitting the target in the same spot: Low. In other words, adjusting the scope is having no impact on where the bullet strikes.

As of right now, I have maxed out the upward adjustment on the Nikon, and the bullets are hitting about 8" low at 100 yds.

I know someone who had a similar problem with his .44 mag. He took a rubber mallet and applied some 'love kisses' to his scope. After that, he was able to get the scope to respond properly.

I haven't applied any 'love kisses' to my scope; I guess if it is 'stuck', I'm surprised that the recoil from the .454 hasn't loosened it up.

I contacted Nikon, and I got the standard boiler-plate reply of, 'Send it in for servicing'. I'm reluctant to do this because of the general hassle, plus the fact that I'll have to remount the scope and shoot it in all over again. That ammo isn't cheap!

Any suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have access to a laser bore-sighter? I picked up a cheap one on amazon for less then $20 and it does surprisingly well for how cheap it is.

With the heavy recoil you base could have been slightly bent upwards especially with a heavier optic....Hard to tell or see with out taking everything apart. Some of the older friction ring optics took shooting in to get the crosshairs to settle but I highly doubt the scope you have is this way and you have plenty of recoil there to "shoot in" or "settle" the crosshairs.

With the bore sighter you can put the gun a vise and check and see if your scope is adjusting at all. Left Right Up or Down. Keep track of your clicks so that you can re-zero. That will tell you right away if you need to send it back to Nikon. If everything is working properly you can look into some long range scope bases that have an angle built into them that will give you the extra elevation you may need.

As far as the rubber mallet "Love Tap" hitting an optic with a hammer rubber or not just sounds DUMB

Hope some of this helps....

#3 ·
Well, First: Did Cabosandinh have it sighted in before you got it? Second: I have a Nikon Monarch on a Savage .223 and love it (also a 2.5-8) never an issue with Zeroing or repeatability. Third: you can also shoot .45 long Colt which will save you some cash, and be a bit more enjoyable to shoot while just practicing.

As far as your current problem...... I guess that goes back to Question #1 above. I if Cabosan had it shooting well, then maybe you are just SOL. Can you adjust it to shoot lower? if so, Then adjust it as LOW as it will go, take it off and remount. What mounts are you currently using. I highly recommend Burris Signature rings for this very reason, you can adjust elevation easily without touch your elevation knob on the scope. This also gives you the ability to get the most out of your scopes adjustable range (more important I will admit on a rifle that a pistol). Hope this helps.

#5 ·
Thanks, guys, for the responses. Please know that Cabosandinh has an FFL-the gun was new when I bought it from him; I guess I didn't buy it FROM him, but rather THROUGH him.

I'm going to take the gun to the gunsmith that mounted the scope for me to get his read of the situation.

And regarding using .45LC, yep, that ammo is a lot cheaper, but it doesn't hold a group nearly as accurately and consistently as .454. Also, it's very impractical/almost impossible to shoot .45LC at a 100 yd target at the range. (FWIW, when I was shooting .45LC, followed up by .454, they shoot totally different. Which, of course, brings up the question mark of what I'm going to find when I load .460 into the gun.)

#6 ·
I have the 460 and it is scoped. I have found that you really can only 'dial in' the scope on one caliber. I have mine sighted in with 460 ammo, but with 454 or 45LC it will shoot low. The recoil is so significantly different that you can't get a one size fits all solution. I did find that the Hornaday LeverRevolution 460 ammo is cheaper than most and have been shooting that for practice and zeroing in. Once I get ready to actually hunt, I will pick a different load and fine tune with that one.

#7 ·
from previous posts, it sounds like it might be right on with the .460.
as previously stated, you need to sight in with the round you intend to hunt with.
otherwise, a piece of duct tape on the inside bottom of the front scope mount
might solve your problem if you wanna continue shooting the .454.
jmo, I ain't no pro, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.