Need lighter bent butt rod for light electrics

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by VaRandy, Mar 16, 2009.

1. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

I have looked at the Saltiga Dendoh in 50 lb and it would do fine except it has the large 130 lb no 4 bent butt. Need to keep the wight way down for stand up use with a very strong electric that is only 27 ozs to begin with. Will be used for 65 # braid for Grouper.

Are there any other options that do not include having to add a lighter butt on top of the Saltiga purchase and junk the #4. I understand there is a Aftco # 2 available.

2. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

VaRandy,

I may be misunderstanding you, but you cannot just replace the #4 butt with a #2. They use different sized ferrules and are not compatible with each other. There is really nothing special about deep drop rods used with electric reels other than the swivel tip. This is due to these rods traditionally being used out of rod holders as opposed to stand-up.

In fact, since you're going for bottom fish, a spiral wrap with heavy ring guides would be preferable to rollers IMO.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

oh come on, youre gonna use electric reels for snowys and tilefish??? just crank that big jig up by hand haha ;)

it seems like theyve been biting well lately. have you been out?

4. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

Brett, we have been out a few times and weather has been atrocious. The primary reason for the electrics is for when we get into the doggie sharks and can't shake them. AFter about 6 of them in 300 plus, up and back down, you have little left for a real fish.

We will use them to qualify a fishing spot so we can move on quickly for a bum one. I still prefer bent rods to keep the line away from the boat for the type of rocking we have had to fish through this season.

My bit about the number 2 and 4 size was meant to show that most bents are #4 and I was looking for rods MADE up with #2 size bent. I know they are not interchangeable.