Need help with Stella 20,000 and Quantum Cabo 60 line selection

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Bellyups, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I just purchased 2 reels and I feel good :). Now I need to line them with some spectra. Here are the plans.

First, the stella. It is a 2007 model and I will be using it for topwater yellowfin and will give it a try jigging for grouper, AJs, etc. I bought an OTI 80lb rod for it. Its first trip will be to Venice in 2 weeks. I know most YFT at this time are cought on the chunk, but I would like to try jigging as well on this trip and have popper ready just in case. I can't decide on 65 or 80 pound spectra. I assume the 65 will cast farther. I am just wondering if I could use the 80 in a more versatile way for popper fishing and jigging. If I like the reel for jigging, then I will consider purchasing an extra spool.

The cabo 60 will be my go to reel when it comes to pitching 2-3 ounce lures and small baits to dorado and weedbeds. It will be a weight class step down from the stella 20000. I guess I can use it for cobia as well. I am thinking 50 or 65 pound spectra on an OTI 50 spinning rod. It should hold close to 400 yards of 50 pound spectra and 300 or so of 65 pound.

Thanks,

Scott

2. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

That new avatar cracks me up!!! Thank you, thank you very much!!

DBG

3. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

i'd go with 65lb hollow on the stella, it will give you more line capacity, and you will be able to cast further. for the cabo, put 50 on for the extra line capacity, and the fact that you're only using it for lighter duty stuff. i don't think the reel it puts out enough drag to need the 65, and it will be a better light setup

4. gman

gman Senior Member

65 solid braid or PE6 line no doubt. Thats how I do it, I find it casts better than JB hollowcore IMHO

All my Stellas are spooled with 65 lb or PE6 with a backup spool of 80. Your jig will sink quicker and your casts will go further with 65 and besides not many tuna in the gulf will break a main line of 65 unless your rubbing a hull or near structure

5. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

I cast the 80# and the 65# on my stella,I have two spools, and canot tell the difference in distance.If I was going to fish Venice and maybe hook up with a trophy yft than I ,personally, would cast the 80 . If the tuna are pickie than I would just change the leader or topshot. I would put the 60 on the cabo. I have yet to see a tuna in the gom spool a reel especially a stella. Just my opion.

6. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I cast the 80# and the 65# on my stella,I have two spools, and canot tell the difference in distance.If I was going to fish Venice and maybe hook up with a trophy yft than I ,personally, would cast the 80 . If the tuna are pickie than I would just change the leader or topshot. I would put the 60 on the cabo. I have yet to see a tuna in the gom spool a reel especially a stella. Just my opion.
    I read another post that it happenedto Mcgolfer in venice over the weekend.

7. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

Mcgolpher would make me eat crow

8. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

i was thinking the hollow because he could put a wind on for casting, but the solid probably would cast a bit better.

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I'll wait to see what McGolfer posts. It looks like 80 for the stella and 50 for the Cabo.

10. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

I would definitely get solid spectra as opposed to hollow core....the casting difference is very noticeable.

11. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

65 solid braid or PE6 line no doubt. Thats how I do it, I find it casts better than JB hollowcore IMHO

All my Stellas are spooled with 65 lb or PE6 with a backup spool of 80. Your jig will sink quicker and your casts will go further with 65 and besides not many tuna in the gulf will break a main line of 65 unless your rubbing a hull or near structure

How much 80 and 65 do the 20k and 16k spool hold?

12. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have had about 350 yards of 80 pound Power Pro spooled on the 20,000 spool before and somewhere around 500 yards of 65. I now have 330 yards of 80 pound jigging line (similar to the OTI,) plus another50 yards or so of 130 pound JB underneath that just for filler.)

Russ