360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help choosing a spinning reel. I am in Dallas and there is not a lot tackle shops around. ( Bass Pro and Cabellas) I have been reading on this site for a couple weeks but have not seen a lot of information on the lower end spinning reels. My budget is in the $200 range. I have found the following reels new on various online stores.

Fin Nor OFS 95 $139
Shimmano Spheros 1400 $110
Shimmano Thunus $220
Quantum Cabo PTS 80 $169
Penn 950ssm $119
Penn 9500ss $149
Okuma VS 65/80 $189

I am about to schedule my 4th trip. I plan to go every one to two years. Mostly going after BFT and YFT. Going on a 36hr with Captian Jonh in May.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
It won't fit on the old spheros. It may fit the new model.
I have an old 14000 here right now and the handle/grip cannot be removed from the shaft. I wasgoing to put the oem grip from the saragosa on it but it doesnt come off the spheros. It would cost a bunch more to replace the entire handle.
my $.02

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input. I think I will go withe the Spheros and drag upgrade. I have a Shimano graphite rod SRS70mh 14#-30# 7'. Would this be adequate? Or should I buy a new rod? If so what is a decent all around rod at a inexpensive price? Maybe an ugly stick or a private label rod from Bass Pro or Cabellas.

·
234 Posts
I would suggest getting one of those Barefoot jigging rods form J&H that are on sale right now for 49 dollars each, I got the 6ft conventional one and its pretty nice, its light and seems like it has good action.

·
863 Posts
N2Tuna - Try to get a rod with a middle rating number around 50#, for example 40-60, or 30-80.

Remember that , generally, the composite rods (blend of graphite and glass) work best towards the lower part of their rating.

You should also look on Buy & Sale boards for great deals on "experienced" rods!
This board, AllCoast, Jigging and Popping forum, Noreast and 2Cool all have some great deals!

Sometimes for just a little more money, you can buy a much, much better performing rod vs. a new, less quality rod.

·
655 Posts
I would suggest getting one of those Barefoot jigging rods form J&H that are on sale right now for 49 dollars each, I got the 6ft conventional one and its pretty nice, its light and seems like it has good action.

I got the 6' 250-325g, and it's a beast. Really strong, should be a good starter jigging rod.

·
553 Posts
If you're really on a tight budget, checkout the Hopper, Boca, and Barefoot rods for jigging. I'm 90% spinning, but I did get the Barefoot 4' 10" 300-400g conventional and am overall very pleased with the rod.

I have high standards when purchasing fishing tackle but when certain items are offered at ridiculous bargins, I'm not proud anymore...huh what pride? hehehe.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.