Need Help With LX

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Rooster, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Rooster

Rooster Guest

Very cool site, lots of good info!

I'm gettin a LX 2 speed for Christmas. I plan for it to be my all aroud offshore reel, pretty much everything from snapper to tuna hopefully. And I wanted to see if you guys could help me pick a rod (under 200 bucks) and what type of line/backing/topshot I need. I havent fished offshore much but I want to start going alot more this summer and want a good combo that will last me a while. I've got some ideas but wanted to see what yall think.

One more thing, what are some of the basic things you guys keep in your offshore tackle bags (types/Brands of hooks, swivels, weights, jigs all that stuff) seems those little owner hooks are pretty awsome. I've been picking up 2 or 3 offshore lures/jigs every time i go into a tackle shop recently so I can have a decent tackle bag by summer. So far ive got a couple 8oz. diamond jigs, snapper slappers, couple shimano butterfly look alike jigs (williamson I think) and some cedar plugs.

2. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Chaos I think make a nice rod for like 150. You done good on the lx 2 speed choice

3. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

fill it with either 65 or 80lb spectre. as far as top shots go all you need is to add a 7 to 15 ft length of flourocarbon or mono in the test you need and your set. get yourself a nice 400 gram jigging rod. and you should be set for what your after. as far as tackle goes your doing it the easy way. just keep picking it up a little at a time and you will have all you will need in short order. there are several post on this site about what to take on trips. use the search engine and that will give you an idea of where your tackle box is lacking....rick

4. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

why the LX ???? wait 2 weeks and get the New HooX 2 speed... more drag, will handle a wider range of fish. pretty close to the same size as the LX....

I got my LX from www.cabbagekeyrodandreel.com spooled with 80# JB Hollow. Want to buy mine? single speed. Never been out of my office. 6.0:1 gear ratio. I want the HooX........ $260 for mine with full spool of the expensive JB Hollow 80# shipping included.

5. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    What color, how bout I give you an Okuma levelwind, and we call it a trade:p

6. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    What color, how bout I give you an Okuma levelwind, and we call it a trade:p

team oso thanks for the humor. i needed a good laugh this evening....rick

7. Rooster

Rooster Guest

Thanks for the offer Skeeter but I think I will take your advice and wait and get the HooX , I looked up the info and it looks like its gonna be an awsome reel.

8. Savage Rods

Savage Rods Member

I am an authorized seller of Avet. It looks like late Jan or early Feb when the HooX will be available. I don't have a price yet. I'll post when I do.

9. SkeeterRonnie

Around $409 for the Hoox 2 speed... now the question is which AVET dealer is gonna throw in the free line spooling and reel skin....hehe.. Thats where I am going... of course I know it will be a little extra for the 80# JB Hollow.... gonna need it with 30# of drag available...

10. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

what are some of the basic things you guys keep in your offshore tackle bags

black barts, joe yees, coggins, mirrored teasers, 400 & 500# leader, crimps, swivels, 7691S hooks, heat shrink, tags & flags,............. ;)

seriously tho......

if it hasn't been mentioned, carry a file-r-sumpin to keep your hooks sharp

and if it's fishing in the summer you're talking about,....... you'll only forget your sunscreen just one time

(and no bananas)

11. jig

jig Senior Member

i got my rod for the hoo-x 3 months ago. the wait for the reel is killing me. I am holding off all other reel purchases until I see how this fits in my arsenal. Hoping to fish 100# spectra with 80# topshot. If it works, this will likely be my new 99% outfit, used for everything except jigging and YFT casting.

12. Savage Rods

Savage Rods Member

A reel skin huh Skeeter, lol. We'll see what we can do for you about line or a skin.

13. SkeeterRonnie

hehe. I have purchased (pending) a Tiagra 16 for now, but will be looking at the HooX about 6 months after they hit the shelves.. If the reports are good, it will replace my LX 6:1.- Mr Savage, PM me a price on a AVET 50 SDS Narrow.... 600yds of 130# JB Hollow on it, and reel skin.... give me a total out the door. Late January I will be purchasing one.

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I read the Hoo-X will be produced in single and 2 speed versions with a narrow and wide spool available in each.
    The single speed version will be available in 2 gear ratios to accomodate both high speed and low speed applications

Single speed versions will sell for $300.00 , 2 speeds at $409.00

15. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

What do y'all think: Hoo-X on a Calstar Graphiter 700H for pitching bombs, surface iron, etc, or....
    Hoo-X on a 6455xxh fo trolling
    ...or both.....(hehe)
    sounds like another $750 setup to me
    Sh**,at this rate, us $5 tackle ho's aint never catchin up w/ you $20 tackle ho's!!!!! LOL
    -B

16. Savage Rods

Savage Rods Member

lite-liner, that's pretty darn close for the combo from what I understand about the HooX price.and $350 is about going rate for 700H whether spinner or conventional alone. That's where I've been pricing mine.

17. SkeeterRonnie

i think CHAOS makes a darn good product for the price....