Need help sorting out new jig spinning rod reel seat

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by sbarracl, Feb 19, 2009.

1. sbarracl

sbarracl Member

I recently bought a Chaos 7' jig/spinning rod. Dead lifted 22 lbs with the rod and I like it. Problem was my Saragosa reel did not fit properly in the alum. conventional reel seat. It rotated in the seat no matter how tight it was. I also did not like the feel of the very big diam ferrules in my hand. Sent the rod back to Chaos and they are putting on a new seat for me. I chose the Pac Bay alum. channel lock slim spinning reel seat, size 20 mm.

I would like to be able to hook the rod into a harness for SBFT fishing on Stellwagon. A two piece rod ring seems to be a good option. I don't want it to get in the way of my hand gripping the rod during casting. I grip the rod with the reel stem between my little finger and the next finger, so my hand is pretty forward on the rod. This seems to balance the rod in my hand as well as possible. If the reel seat goes on normal, the rod ring will have to mount behind the reel, will this be too far back to work properly with a harness?? If the reel seat is mounted reversed, the rod ring can mount in front of the reel, seems better, but will the ring be where my hand wants to grip, and will the reel be too far back on the rod and make the balance worse??

I need advice from someone who has tried to use a rod ring with a harness and sorted this out, or I need the rod without the reel seat glued on to try out the various positions. My gut says put the reel seat on backwards, move it forward so the reel is in the correct spot for balance, and mount the rod ring as far forward as the seat will allow.

I have seen rods with the seats reversed, why is this done??

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

A picture is worth a thousand words. Yea, I know my nails are dirty. I've been doing manual labor all night including digging a hole for the lazy foundation guys that just left. That sucked as I broke two toes in my left foot a few days ago.:mad: I took this picture just for you sbarracl.:)

Attached Files:

3. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

great photo as usually mrbill...if you mount the reel seat with the threads nearest the butt of the rod you might have an issue with your reel falling off the rod. i found out the hard way when i had a stella 20000 fall overboard when the rod was in a t-top rod holder. i guess that all the up and down movement of the rod in the holder caused the reel seat to loosen up and when we pounded on a wave the reel fell off and bounced off the boat and into the ocean. the good news was i never used the reel so i don't know how really good a reel it might have been. just another donation to the fish gods. i did learn a good lesson. from now on my line will be run through the guides and tied off and i will no longer attach my reels to rods with out attaching the line to something and i also engage my drag to add a little something to slow it down till i can see it and fix the problem....rick

4. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Mr. Bill and anyone else, have you used the rod ring while fighting a fish and how did they perform? I received mine, and there is a slight amount of play between the ring and the reel seat. While fighting a fish, I am worried that their would be left, right, forward, and back torque placed on the rings, which might loosen the reelnuts causing the reel to wobble. I guess I can put plumbing tape on the threads when I secure the reelseat to the reel. I hate wobbling reels and can't stand nuts working loose:mad: .

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Yes, there is some play. And yes, I have had the top ring will loosen up a little when using a harness. Sometimes it stays put. It's a 50/50 chance of it coming loose. Just tighten it down with your hand during the battle. It's not going anywhere.

It's better than nothing if you have a good battle on your hands and your arms have turned into rubber. I like the rings as a hook holder. Reels can get a bad hook rash when running from one location to another with a lure or popper hanging off it. Some people place the hook around the stem of the spinner, and others will hang it off the handle. Metal against metal gives deep scar marks.

Most people and I'm guilty of it, put the bottom hook of a popper on the bottom guide legs. It makes sense, but you will see damage on your rod blank from the friction of the popper or lure.

6. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Thanks Mr. Bill.

7. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I have built and used rod harness loop and placed them at the end of the forgrip. Which was about 1\2 way between the bail and stripper giude. This proved to not be a good idea. While casting the line would lap over the rod
    and sometimes tangle on the harness loop. If loop is desired I suggest it need to be very close to or behind the bail...
    My thoughts.

Kevin

Oh, I have not damaged any digits or impigments this week but the weekend is still young.:)

8. sbarracl

sbarracl Member

Thanks, Mr Bill for the pic. I really appreciate that. It shows exactly what I was concerned about. Basically, if you grip the rod as you show everything is cool. If you grip the rod as I always do, with three out of four fingers in front of the reel stem, the ring will be in the way. When I grip my rod as you show, the rod is very tip heavy and puts a lot of strain on the wrist. I use a spinner to cast a lot, and having it balanced in your hand feels a lot better to me. If you are just dropping a lure over the side and jigging, I can see where your grip would be comfortable.

Maybe the key is placing the reel seat properly on the rod so when you grip it as you show, it puts you at the balance point of the rod? That would make it comfortable for repeated casting. You will have quite a reach for the line, while casting, and I use braid which can really chew up your finger if you have to reach for the line and pull it back to hold it. If your hand is further forward, you are just pinching the line against the foregrip and it is easier on your finger.

I will take some pictures tomorrow and post. I will also try casting some lures with the grip as you show and my normal grip and see if it feels much different. I plan to use the rod for striper, bluefish, and occasional tuna fishing. I want it to be versatile and comfortable. If it was a dedicated tuna rod, especially for jigging, I would set it up just as you have. I seem to be coming to the conclusion that it depends which is more important to you, casting balance or being able to use a harness.

BTW, I will put some dirt under my finger nails before I take the pics so you won't feel uncomfortable. :)

9. sbarracl

sbarracl Member

I just realized I may be confusing people by calling the rod a jigging rod. Chaos calls it that and recommends it for jigging or popping. I will use it almost exclusively for popping.