Need help selecting rod blank

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by VaRandy, Jun 4, 2008.

1. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

Will be spiral wrapped with 32# of available drag, will have 65 lb line but will not palm reel to get over the 32# offered by the reel.

Will not have to cast far (to Yellowfin tuna) jig weights from 3.5 to 7 ozs range, fish up to 75lb is the target for my first custom jigging stick.

Second one will go to 150 lb tuna.

Prefer one peice 6 to 7 foot.

thanks

2. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

how much drag do you actually think you will be using and what style of jig are you going to use? My initial suggestion would be the GUSA predator if you are going to use diamond jigs. It is a 7' blank rated 50-80. It is light as a feather and has plenty of balls. I'm sure others will have plenty of input about other rods they like.

This rod is very capable of handling fish to #100 easily. I have gotten tuna around 50# to the boat is three minutes chunking with about 200 feet of line out when the fish hit.

3. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

Call Don with Savage rods....

He talking about cutting down a Calstar 700H to make it a custom jig rod that could handle a bunch of drag...

his number is

At least call him and get his opinion....his a cool guy, with alot of knowledge

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

there are a few choices in the 7' range most do double duty as jigging and bait
    the 700H is very popular and would be nice for the fish you target
    the guys use the XH for bigger fish and higher drags
    i was playing with a bunch of calstars today from 6'6"-7'
    there re afew other good choices i have found..and will be trying soon
    the OTI is 5'9"
    there is a GUSA Wahoo JR that i helped design to fill a gap from the longer 8' rods we use and the short 5' rods. its 7' and lso works well for bigger fish

5. Josh

Josh Guest

any recomendations on a fast taper rod to spiral wrap to handle about 40# drag (trinidad 40n + carbontex). will be using a uni-butt so tht will give a little space for cutting down the blank.trying to stay under the 6 foot mark.

6. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

I just got my 700XH in last night and was really impressed with how light it was. I didn't have much time to play with it but I did have a 6 gallon gas can that was full of fuel laying in the garage so I figured I'd tie to it just to see the rods action. Needless to say this rod will handle 40#s of drag as I barely picked up the can (shaking arms.) I'm going to get the scale later when I get off and will try to get a few pics of it with a weighed bucket of water.

You also said you had 32#s available drag, are you going with the Torque?

7. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

I would consider a GUSA Wahoo (one piece 50-80# rated) or an OTI (two piece 80lb rated) rod

If you want to cut it down from the butt end to make it a 7' rod...it probably would be a great rod. You could do the same with an OTI 8' two piece rod.
    I think both would be great options. I love my 8' GUSA Wahoo rod...built a spiral wrap and it a great jigging rod. I am currently building a spinning rod out of the OTI 2 piece blank. They are both great rod blanks.

8. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

any recomendations on a fast taper rod to spiral wrap to handle about 40# drag (trinidad 40n + carbontex). will be using a uni-butt so tht will give a little space for cutting down the blank.trying to stay under the 6 foot mark.
    use a boomer, with LRSG guides:D

9. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

I just got my 700XH in last night and was really impressed with how light it was. I didn't have much time to play with it but I did have a 6 gallon gas can that was full of fuel laying in the garage so I figured I'd tie to it just to see the rods action. Needless to say this rod will handle 40#s of drag as I barely picked up the can (shaking arms.) I'm going to get the scale later when I get off and will try to get a few pics of it with a weighed bucket of water.

You also said you had 32#s available drag, are you going with the Torque?
    what reel did you use?
    any chance getting a pic of that pickup:D

10. Mitchw123456

I used a 300 torque with thumbs on the spool :D When I have someone around the house I will take a few pics of it and post up a review

11. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

I used a 300 torque with thumbs on the spool :D When I have someone around the house I will take a few pics of it and post up a review
    what do you think..
    with the drags locked down ..is the most you can lift
    before they slip? or you need thumbs

i had a torium 30 locked down..and couldnt lift 23-25# slipped to much
    the drag setting wasnt checked so i dont know where it was..

12. Mitchw123456

Something isn't right with my new 300 as its not putting out anywhere near what my 200 is, so honestly I don't think it would be fair to say on it now. My scale is in my boat now so I can't pull it and see. I can tell you though my 200 started slipping at 27#s. Just pure guess I would say I'm not pulling more than 15 or so with the 300 but there is something visibly wrong with it as you can see an 1/8 of an inch between the handle and the star on it :confused: I think Penn forgot something when they were putting it together but I ahven't had time to break it down yet

13. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Something isn't right with my new 300 as its not putting out anywhere near what my 200 is, so honestly I don't think it would be fair to say on it now. My scale is in my boat now so I can't pull it and see. I can tell you though my 200 started slipping at 27#s. Just pure guess I would say I'm not pulling more than 15 or so with the 300 but there is something visibly wrong with it as you can see an 1/8 of an inch between the handle and the star on it :confused: I think Penn forgot something when they were putting it together but I ahven't had time to break it down yet
    with the 200.
    how much weight can you lift with 26# OF DRAG not slipping
    OR
    how much weight make the 27# of drag slip

14. Josh

Josh Guest

any particular boomer?

15. Mitchw123456

with the 200.
    how much weight can you lift with 26# OF DRAG not slipping
    OR