Need help selecting harness and plate

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by VaRandy, Oct 27, 2008.

1. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

I realize that most of you have the braid and have seen good things said about others.

I suspect that none were engineered for non-trolling use with very light outfits capable of 35 lbs drag. Equipment is up to 80 very light jigging and popping sticks for Tuna to 300. Most seem mighty heavy to hold such light specialized equipment.

I know my overall weakness is lower back so I need to be able to sit back in a bucket type arrangement and reduce or eliminate any pressure above the lower back line.

I know less about the Black Magic and Alecnos(sp) and others. If I had to go Braid, which one would it be.

Thanx in advance.

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i use the black magic.
    they came out with a bigger pad..i may pick that up also.

i have a braid harness and back support sitting here, brand new..never opened..

have no interest in trying:D

3. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

4. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

Randy:
    Take a look at the Aftco harness. My son, Bret, has it and really likes it. The real issue with the jigging gear is the connection. Most of it, particularly the spinning gear, have no lugs or other obvious points of connection. I have an old rod wrap braid used to sell (not sure if they do anymore). Really just a small strap with stainless rings on either end that you wrap around the rod, above the reel. I can make it work, but would love to see alternatives.

I hear on the back issue. In NC, its not so much any one fish, its just the sheer numbers. Back gets really tired! :)

5. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

Have you compared it to the Smitty system?

I know I will take one of these after looking around online.

smitty has a new deeply countoured plate to firmly stay on the legs.

6. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Have you compared it to the Smitty system?

I know I will take one of these after looking around online.

smitty has a new deeply countoured plate to firmly stay on the legs.

they are fundementally the same...... :D

7. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

You might want to check this brand new harness system in the market.

no experience with this particular harness.
    My go to harness has been Braid power play

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

You might want to check this brand new harness system in the market.

no experience with this particular harness.
    My go to harness has been Braid power play

That looks nice but I am not strapping anything around my crotch especially when I might have to do a couple laps around a boat.

d-a

9. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

That looks nice but I am not strapping anything around my crotch especially when I might have to do a couple laps around a boat.

d-a

Doug, shouldn't be problem if they're made of steel or petrified wood (like UR) :D :D

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Doug, shouldn't be problem if they're made of steel or petrified wood (like UR) :D :D

Lol

d-a

11. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I wont reccomend anything, you need to test them all and decide which one works best for you.
    for me it was down to Smitty's vs. Black Magic. Smitty's won it on the
    durability factor. I'm not a big fan of extruded plastic. smitty's also offers
    multiple size/shape plates by application that fit the harness, which you can wear plate-less all day. that's what won me over.
    BTW, if you don't already know, shoulder harness is NOT the answer.
    OOOOOOOWWWWWWW!

12. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

I agree with lite-liner. You have to try the harness to make sure you feel comfortable with it. I own a Smitty spider harness with the fighting plate with a thigh curve for comfort. I brought my from Chark Bait. I'm from Miami, FL and a Boatless fisherman. I use my harness for shark fishing fight sharks weighing around 300+. I too have lower back problems and the spider harness work perfect for me.

13. NEMO

NEMO Member

I have a very bad back and I use the Smitty, I'm glad I did. but I still tip the deck hands to help me out.

14. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

when bank account > 0!

Thanks for all the feedback. Once more I avoid a mistake by putting it out there. That feature alone makes this forum very valuable ...beyond the obvious friendships built around the forum.

15. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

My back is very bad and I use the Smitty.

16. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

My back is in OK shape. I spent an hour plus on a good blue marlin with a Braid belt that went around my kidney area and a plate that was too narrow for my build. The plate kept wedging between my knees....

I learned two things there. My plate and belt setup was wrong. I needed to be able to utilize more drag.

I bought a Smitty's Spyder belt and an XL Long Range Special plate to replace my old stuff. I have been very satisfied with my purchase. I did compare and consider a Black Majic setup and found that I prefer the Smitty's.

If it helps... I am six one at two hundred pounds....

17. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

I've tried them all over many years and hands down the Braid Power play line of Bucket harness, plate and drop straps blows everything else out of the water. Contrary to popular belief they are comfortable and easy to get in and out of yet they develop an incredible amount of power. I am on boats where 40 year old to 90 year olds are fishing them and all are putting the wood to the fish.
    Knowing how to set them up properly is the real key to using any harness. I have written numerous times the proper way to set them up. Braids actually comes with an easy to follow manual on proper angles, fits,, strap lengths, etc. Almost everyone I have met, including deckies set them up incorrectly. If you have any questions you can P.M. me. or better yet contact the folks at Braid products to find out why I am saying what I am saying.

Best of luck on your decision

Jamie