Need help putting together 2 combos

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by red34, Jun 25, 2008.

1. red34

red34 Guest

I need some help putting together a couple of combos for popping and jigging on long-range trips out of Texas and California. I’m going to do the 36 hr trip and if I get hooked, which is a pretty safe bet, then I will probably step up to the 52 hr.

Here’s what I want:
    Popping combo:
    Okuma Salina 80 or Boca 80 w/ 65lb braid

Jigging:
    Daiwa Saltist 30T or Avet JX 6.0 (narrow spools)

These set-ups have to be either 7’ or 2-piece for traveling and I don’t want to break the bank because I am still getting into this type of fishing. My ideal rods would be an Ocean Tackle 7’6” Popping rod and a Calstar Grafighter 8’ but these are both out of my price range and the Calstar wouldn’t be travel-friendly.

Please help me out with deciding between the Salina and the Boca. I know the Boca is probably better, but I can get the Salina for about ½ price and the Boca only slightly discounted.

Thanks in advance…I can’t wait to take my 1st trips! (22 hr overnight out of Dana Point, CA and the 36 hr on either Capt John or Big E)

2. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I would spend a little more and look at the saragosa 1800 which you can fill with 80 pound spectra and use for both popping and jigging. That way you don't need to buy 2 reels.

3. tacklejunkie

tacklejunkie Member

Last fall while bringing an 80# yft boatside the reelfoot on my okuma salina
    snapped in two. I was able to boat the fish but the rod was well damaged as
    the reel ripped off the first two guides. What more can I say about okuma.
    These forums are full of good advice on spinning reels. Shimanos and Quantums seem to favor well with most even in the lower priced models.
    A jx with a $49 barefoot jigging rod and an oti popper with spheros makes
    for two budjet minded combos that should fish well until you know what you
    really want and can afford.

4. feeder

feeder Senior Member

I'd say go for the Boca if those were your only options. I know price restricts a lot of decisions on tackle, but sometimes it's better to spend a little more money up front on gear and have it last a while longer down the road. Nothing will turn you off long range trips like having your gear bust the first day out.

As for the Saltist, I've had mine now going on 2 years and still love it.

5. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Saragosa is first. The Quantum Cabo boca 80 is cheap on Ebay. Nix the Okuma.

6. awesum

awesum Senior Member

My 2¢ ....

Of the under $200 spinners the Spheros 14000 and the Quantum Cabo 80 have both done well for me. The Boca is a different deal. You can get a Shimano Spheros for about $130 and upgrade it with carbon fiber drag washers.

I don't know the price of the Saragosa 18000 but if you can afford one that's the way I would go.;)

7. red34

red34 Guest

Thanks fellas. I have absolutely no problem spending the $$ on higher quality equipment (within reason), I was simply able to get a pretty good deal on the Okuma. I have a BG30 already so I'm most likely going to do the Saltist combo right now and hold off on the Popping combo until I can spend the cash on the one I really want. I think the BG30 setup I already have will hold up to most of the fishing I'll be doing...but of course, there will be 5 $1,000 combos throwing lures all around me and I'll hook the monster fish. Murphy's Law!

I live in Dallas and TJ has invited me over to look at their equipment. I'm sure it won't take too much convincing to sell me on those rods!