Need Help on Spin

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Bolo, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

I will be competing in a Catch and Release Shore Bound Shark Tournament. I will be entering in a spin category for the largest shark. I have a TwinSpin 30 w/ 9ft Calstar using 60lb Jerry Brown hollow cord. My question, for you guys who fight huge tuna and marlin. Do you set the drag very tight for their first run? Or do you increase drag as the fight goes on?

2. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

For a spin reel I would not adjust drag during fight,
    Set as you wish, 25, 30,35% of line-leader rating.
    Then palm spool and pay attention to rod tip to put
    weight against fish to raise to boat or bring to shore.
    Your hand can come off of a spool faster than blind
    adjusting, No Fla sharks for me-But same-same for Tarpon.
    my $0.2

Kev

3. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Thanks for the help.

4. HWK

HWK Senior Member

If your fishing the beach, I would leave that twinspin at the house. The reel will never be the same after a day on the beach.

5. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

If your fishing the beach, I would leave that twinspin at the house. The reel will never be the same after a day on the beach.

I fish them off the bridge in the Keys. Then I walk them to the side to beach them. I also have sand spikes to keep the reel of the sand and constant hose it down with freshwater to keep the sand off the reel.

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I agree with HWK, you should use another reel for fishing these sharks from shore/beach/bridge. The Twinspin is just too expensive to risk it, maybe Saltiga Surf or if you need more line, a decent but cheap conventional (assuming you are good at casting one or plan to kayak the big bait out to open water)... JMO

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ive adjusted a spinner drag on tuna before. it works OK as long as you know what you're doing and dont twist too tight. mind you, i only increased it from 18 at strike to 22-24 during fighting.

However, i didnt notice any difference when i just used the same drag and didnt adjust. no hook pulls or anything as of yet.

8. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

I agree with HWK, you should use another reel for fishing these sharks from shore/beach/bridge. The Twinspin is just too expensive to risk it, maybe Saltiga Surf or if you need more line, a decent but cheap conventional (assuming you are good at casting one or plan to kayak the big bait out to open water)... JMO

All I have are Twin Spin and Stella. All I use in the Keys are my Accurate. I am not worry since I will take care of my gear. Off the bridge the current will take the bait out. Also, casting out a 5lb bait is tough on the Calstar. :)

I normally use my 50W to compete in the shark tourney. Since I'm bored I want to see if I can do it on my TwinSpin 30. The only thing that worries me is getting spool. That is the question I'm asking.

9. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

ive adjusted a spinner drag on tuna before. it works OK as long as you know what you're doing and dont twist too tight. mind you, i only increased it from 18 at strike to 22-24 during fighting.

However, i didnt notice any difference when i just used the same drag and didnt adjust. no hook pulls or anything as of yet.

When the shark hit it is like a freight train and wasn't sure if fishing heavy drag was good at the beginning of the fight. On conventional I fish close to lock drag and they still ripping line off.

10. jig

jig Senior Member

I'm sure you know this, but in case you don't: remember that as you get to the end of the spool, your drag goes up a lot anyway. So if you are fishing 60# line at 18-22# of drag, you are going to be pulling much more than that as the spool diameter decreases. That's the biggest reason IMO not to ever adjust the drag if you are close to getting spooled at that low a line class.

11. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Thanks Jig, i'll keep that in mind.

12. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Good luck with the tournament, and be sure to post a report.