Need Help! Inner Bearing Stuck on Spool

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by red34, Nov 5, 2009.

1. red34

red34 Guest

I just got a used Pro Gear CS625 the other day. When I cast lures with it the reel makes a ton of noise. Sounds like really bad bearings to me. They looked really clean when I took it all apart, but there's no mistaking the noise that the spool makes when reeling and especially casting. Can I re-clean and grease them or should I just replace them?

Also, I could not figure out how to get the spool to release from the handle side. The other sideplate came off very easily but I couldn't figure out how to totally disconnect it.

Thanks for the assistance

2. north coast

north coast Senior Member

You sure? I bought that reel on ebay, I think it was new. I only used it a couple times. It should be perfect. ?? I wouldn't have sold it otherwise. If you feel it really needs a bearing, And You want to track one down and install it. I'll send you something to cover it.

3. red34

red34 Guest

Check this link it's the breakdown of an albacore reel by Alan Tan.progear albacore special

Yea I already saw that. His review is one of the main reasons I bought the reel. I don't know if the 2 series are slightly different or if I'm just not seeing the spool breakdown. I hate forcing anything together or apart in a reel. I'll figure it out.

You sure? I bought that reel on ebay, I think it was new. I only used it a couple times. It should be perfect. ?? I wouldn't have sold it otherwise. If you feel it really needs a bearing, And You want to track one down and install it. I'll send you something to cover it.

I'm not worried about that. I bought it knowing it was used and if you weren't out casting poppers or irons with it, you wouldn't have heard how loud it was when casting. It actually looks really clean inside and out. I stripped it down according to the tutorial in the link above as soon as I got it.

I talked to Ken's Custom Reels in CA and hopefully either he or Alantani can get me some new bearings for it.

4. red34

red34 Guest

Ok so I got a hold of Danny at Pro Gear and I finished the colplete assembly of the reel and gears. I completely cleaned all the insides and applied clean grease and oil. I greased all the carbon fiber drag washers and finally found the sourse of all the noise. The large bearing was corroded. I was only able to clean off the corrosion, but not remove the bearing due to the small "T" pin (I don't know what that little pin is called???) not coming out of the main spool shaft

[​IMG]
    credit: pic from alantani.com

It seems to be rusted or corroded in place and I can't break it free for the life of me!! Degreaser and gun cleaner isn't working so I'll probably try some Break Free next. Just the oil and grease has greatly decreased the noise but I really want to replace these bearings.

Aside from this one bearing, it seems that I have a pretty stout reel and considering the distance I was getting with a totally screwed up bearing, it should be a beast when I finally get it fixed!!

Any advice in removing that stubborn pin would be greatly appreciated.

Ohhhh and Alan, I borrowed your picture. I hope you don't mind.

5. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

I don't have a reel like that, but what I have done for frozen pins in the past have included the following:

1. check to see if it a TAPER pin... small on one end, larger on the other. Tap on small end with a tiny ballpeen or gunsmith brass hammer.

2. alternate heating and cooling of the pin/shaft, apply penetrant, let sit a while, try taping again.

3. if you can't get a hammer into the space, immobilize the body. get a piece of flat bar stock to place on the small end of the pin, and strike the bar stock with a small hammer.

4. if you can get a punch onto the small end of the pin, try striking the punch..CAUTION ... do not use a pin pointed punch, use a cupped end or flat end punch. if you use a pointed punch it could actually flare the pin end, and you would be working against yourself.

5. take it to a local machine shop that works on intricate devices... like clocks or similar, and see if they can do it.

6. alantani

alantani Senior Member

try this......

bearings

one more thing. the pg classic 625 is an absolutely awesome reel. it is literally worth its weight in gold!

7. red34

red34 Guest

FINALLY got it out and the bearing off... What a beating! The new bearing should be on it's way from Ken's and this reel had better cast like a dream when I'm done.

one more thing. the pg classic 625 is an absolutely awesome reel. it is literally worth its weight in gold!

This one looks brand new inside and out, now has greased drag washers, and will soon have brand new bearings. I hope you're right.