Need Heavy Jigging Dual Purpose Rod and Reel Advice

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by red34, Nov 18, 2008.

1. red34

red34 Guest

Just quietly if you cut a Batson Rainshadow live bait blank (RCLB70M) down (around 1 to 1-1/2 inch from the tip and the rest from the butt) to 5'8" it is that close to a GF760L in action and weight and power its not funny. IMHO jigging rods like this also make the best bottom fishing rods around they are also very light and are easy to hold all day.

i stole this from another thread because it matches a rod build that i'd like to do.

i am making a rod that i think is pretty similar to what is being described here. i was going to make it with the rainshadow RCTB60H (6' 40-80# x-fast). i'm really not able to touch and feel the blanks...and i have no real experience with heavy deep jigging.

what i want is a heavy jigging rod that can double for dropping live baits to the bottom for aj's and grouper.

what do you think the difference would be between these 2 rod blanks after the one is cut down? and based on what i want it to do, which rod would you feel would be the best choice for me?

my reel choices:
    Avet JX
    Avet LX
    Daiwa Saltist 40
    Daiwa Saltist 50

i was thinking about 80# spectra.

2. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Contact Billy40 he has some new blanks coming out...GUSA Like...It sounds like a 603 would work great...I have one lelt but I wont sell the blank..

3. newton

newton Guest

mad marlin, i was just looking at those same blanks. how do you like the rod? dose it jig well? do you think they have the power for bottom fishing?

btw, nice work.