Need Guidance on a heavy popper build

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by VaRandy, Dec 5, 2008.

1. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

This will be my first popper. I have the blank, a CTS 8 foot two piece 80# stick than can deadlift 55 lbs.

I know conventional guides, reelseats,etc. but am not much of a spinner yet.

What SIC guides and should I build it the new Fuji New Concept method?
    I want the furtherest casts I can make with 4-7 oz for Tuna.

I will not consider a plastic reelseat because I want it to be up to the 55# drag I could reach. It will have 100# Diawa Braid on a big Stella.

I know I want the rubber gimble from Baxton that I have on my two jigging sticks. I would love pictures of some big spinners to give me ideas.

Thanx

2. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Look at the Alps reelseat and buy a size 22 or 24. Mine does not loosen. A size 20 is light and small, but too small to seat the bigger spinners well.

The standard high end guides are Fuji MNSGs ir ICMNSGs with a ICMNST top. Sizes are 40-30-25-20-16-12-12-12. You may be able to taper down quicker. Don't go smaller than a 12 so knots and heavy leader pass through well. I don't build my heavy spinners using the new concept approach (NCA). With the NCA, I don't think the guides line up well with big spinners (line coming offf a big spinner spool must choke down much more than from a small spinner, yet the rod is about the same size), but I can be wrong here.

Check out Mudhole and Acidrod for parts.

3. SeaWolf

SeaWolf Junior member

double check your stella to be sure the reel stem foot fits into an ALPS reel seat in the size you want. i know a size 22 barely catches a VS275/300 reel stem foot. i'd go with a size 24 ALPS reel seat on them, but they are a little bulky. the ALPS channel lock reel seats are nice tho!

do some test casting with your guide layout to see if you get any line slap or choking issues. i've build rods for customers for bft applications and choked from a 40 to a 25 to a 16 w/o a problem.

4. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I've built a bunch of rods with both the traditional 40,30,25,20,16,12,12,...12 top approach and 40,25,16,12,12...12 top and prefer the later for GOM popping (we typically don't use/need heavy mono leaders like the GT crowd).

The rod is lighter, has better balance and I haven't seen really any change to casting distance.

I would suggest that you just buy a few extra #12 guides and compare the 2 layouts for yourself -- just make sure you tape the guides on well before making casts with that much weight.

km

Look at the Alps reelseat and buy a size 22 or 24. Mine does not loosen. A size 20 is light and small, but too small to seat the bigger spinners well.

The standard high end guides are Fuji MNSGs ir ICMNSGs with a ICMNST top. Sizes are 40-30-25-20-16-12-12-12. You may be able to taper down quicker. Don't go smaller than a 12 so knots and heavy leader pass through well. I don't build my heavy spinners using the new concept approach (NCA). With the NCA, I don't think the guides line up well with big spinners (line coming offf a big spinner spool must choke down much more than from a small spinner, yet the rod is about the same size), but I can be wrong here.

Check out Mudhole and Acidrod for parts.

5. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

This will be my first popper. I have the blank, a CTS 8 foot two piece 80# stick than can deadlift 55 lbs.

I've never heard a popping blank that can deadlift that much :eek: . What the heck is it made out of? Is it a butt joint blank?

6. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

8. VaRandy

VaRandy Site Sponsor

FishStix4u in Richmond was the East coast distributor but sold out recently to someone in NC. 919-990-8998. I don't think the new owners know a lot about CTS stix yet. MIne was the heavy (80#) popping rod. I don't know what a butt joint is but the top fits over the bottom and forms an almost seamless connection. Steve is the owner of CTS and you can email him as well. I emailed and later spoke to him about the capability of mine.

9. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

FishStix4u in Richmond was the East coast distributor but sold out recently to someone in NC. 919-990-8998. I don't think the new owners know a lot about CTS stix yet. MIne was the heavy (80#) popping rod. I don't know what a butt joint is but the top fits over the bottom and forms an almost seamless connection. Steve is the owner of CTS and you can email him as well. I emailed and later spoke to him about the capability of mine.
    Butt joint ..tip section usually goes in bottom part.
    i cant wait to see that rod lifting 40+#
    sounds like a serious rod.
    what size tip and butt is on it?

10. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

I've bought a few CTS blanks over the last 2 years, just none of them popping rods. I did ask Stephen at CTS about the popping rods and he told me they had a traditional ferrule (no butt joint), which is why I never tried one.