Need a rod for TS-50.

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by bigscrnman, Feb 1, 2009.

1. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

I just pulled the trigger on the new Accurate TS-50, would like to have a custom rod buildt for it. I don't yet have the spec sheet on the reel yet, should have in about a week, but it is supposed to be a BEAST! I plan on using for deep jigging in the gulf, and depending on performance may take it to Costa Rica for a little black marlin action.:D :D :D I don't mind dropping the coin but I need the best out there, any input would be appreciated....

2. rhale

rhale Senior Member

If your just jigging then maybe a 500 gram Jigging Master.

3. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

That helps for a start, I am a little concerned that the rod be able to stand up to some extreme abuse on a fish. Any idea what the max recomended drag is on that rod?

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

theJM 500 powerspell rod can handle 66 lbs of drag! it is a beast and is pretty light. i regret selling mine to a friend.

maybe a zenaq monster buster. or do like a few on this forum had done a get a super seeker rods made for your sr50.

5. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Where can I get it?

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

maybe the OTI 600 or the JM 500
    the SS are really sweet also.

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

jm from paul or kilsong. oti from 360tackle or paul.

8. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

thanks guy's, I have hooked up with paul.... The input is greatly appreciated!

9. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

When I get mine, (when I can afford it) I would probably not use it so much for jigging or for popping--but more for deep drop bottom fishing or chunking--and the perfect rod for me would be a spinner built on one of the short, heavy Dennis Braid blanks--but they don't offer them. So I am thinking about having Paul build me a Super Seeker OR a 760H--or buy the Monster Buster for Iron Man. If it is a while until I can afford that, then I will probably just strap it on to my 700XH and strap myself to the rail.

Russ

10. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

I hooked up with Paul yesterday! He is building me the rod for me with the super seeker blank, I will post pics of the rod when I get it, cant wait! The intent for this rig is DEEP jiggin grouper! I hope to have it before I leave for costa rica in march, would love to try on giant cubrerra snapper! I hear that they reach upwards of 100# down there!!!!!

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Have you received the SR-50 yet? Where did you buy it?

12. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

I have not recieved the reel yet, I had my bro-in-law pick up for me at his favorite tackle show in San Diego! I will find out from him who the vendor was & post.

13. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

He got it from Mahi Tackle out of Huntingto beach!!!!

14. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Can't you order from charkbait? I think they have it listed on their online store.

15. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

yes, they have them.

16. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

I have mine mounted to a Super Seeker 6463 XXXH, which in its mostly uncut size is around 6 ft. 7 inches long, but I have my Thunder Down Under Rail Rod device. It will get its first taste of big fish hopefully in a few weeks. I looooooove the Super Seekers for this type of work as the combination of softer tip that blends beautifully into its shut off point just works great both on the cast and the fight.

Another suggestion would be the new Super Seeker 6463 two by four, again in an almost uncut length. This combines the tip of the XXH for greater response blending beautifully into a 4X butt. Really may be perfect for your application.

I will be out on the Red Rooster III, on a 13/16 day trip for big Yellowfin so you can follow along on their web site to see if I actually catch something other than flies with this rig. Because it has been a fairly pick bite I believe this rig should blow the conventionals out of the water at least to get hooked up.

Jamie