need a new reel...

Discussion in 'Reels' started by fuelish1, Aug 14, 2009.

1. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

I've got a new HOPPER jigging rod, rated for 100-200#, looking for one of the newer style reels that can really lock down a drag and pull a leviathan out of the deep. My present reel is a penn longbeach 68 and it's pretty bulky lookin' on there...I would use this rod mostly for bottom fishing and jigging, and would like to know what has stronger drags and maybe harness lugs so I can strap in when/if I catch a yft also....thanks for any and all input! :cool:

2. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

Not familiar with them, but the rod sounds a bit light for being strapped in with a YFT.

3. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

What is your budget? Do you have a preference to star or lever drag? One or two speed? My suggestion would be a Alutecnos Gorilla 12, which is a single speed lever drag reel, but it is almost $600 new.

4. jig

jig Senior Member

Fuelish1, I've been following your posts, and let me give you a little summary of advice if I may. For the trips you are doing, you would be fine with only 2 or 3 outfits. As you have seen, you cannot catch good fish with low end tackle, and you haven't even targeted YFT yet. But, you can get the appropriate gear without going broke. But, you will have to spend more than you did on a penn 68 Long beach and Slammer rod.

The three outfits, and my cost effective suggestions, are:

60# - If you have only one rod and reel, get this. Get an Ugly Stik BWB 1160, 6.5', line rating of 40-80#. Acadamy is having a rod riot now, you can get this rod for $50 NEW. Put a Senator 4/0 on it for $100 for low tech, or a Shimano 30II 2 speed for high tech (Under $200 used).

80# and up - Get a tidewater solid fiberclass all roller. Acadamy now for either $29 or $39 bucks. Put a Senator 114 wide (6/0) on it. Ebay or otherwised used for under a $100

40# - Ugly Stick BWB 1140 6.5', line class 30-50. Acadamy for $49. Newell 540 reel, used for $100 on ebay. This was my all around rig, great for jigging, very light, snapper, casting, etc. before I went to all 2 spds.

So, get above, you are set, and total costs should be well under $500 for the lot, a hair over $500 if you get the 2sp for 60#.

I challange anyone that the above would cover 95% or more of ALL your deepwater needs om GOM (but for maybe swordfish/marlin/giant sharks), and that any of the above would not only work but would work very well for the purposes. Sure you can get better, fancier gear, but Fuelish1, you need good quality gear now, and this is very good stuff and you will land your fish. Including the big ones. Now quit dicking around, start looking for this stuff, and get on that 60hour trip. :D

5. jig

jig Senior Member

Oh, and the Acadamy rod riot is only a week long, so get there quick if you want a steal on some rods.

6. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

He says he bought a Hopper jigging rod rated for up to 200lb line. Depending on the model, it's at least a 270g rod and maybe up to 400g.

7. jig

jig Senior Member

Correct. But, I am trying to help him out on a larger scale due to some other posts he has made elsewhere. Don't want to assume to much, but I believe he is looking for a primary all around rod/reel (he broke his Penn slammer/Long Beach 68 on a recent trip); and IMO I would not suggest a special rod/reel designed for jigging exclusively. Correct me if I am wrong Fuelish1, or you can always ignore bad advice. :)

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Fuelish1, I've been following your posts, and let me give you a little summary of advice if I may. For the trips you are doing, you would be fine with only 2 or 3 outfits. As you have seen, you cannot catch good fish with low end tackle, and you haven't even targeted YFT yet. But, you can get the appropriate gear without going broke. But, you will have to spend more than you did on a penn 68 Long beach and Slammer rod.

The three outfits, and my cost effective suggestions, are:

60# - If you have only one rod and reel, get this. Get an Ugly Stik BWB 1160, 6.5', line rating of 40-80#. Acadamy is having a rod riot now, you can get this rod for $50 NEW. Put a Senator 4/0 on it for $100 for low tech, or a Shimano 30II 2 speed for high tech (Under $200 used).

80# and up - Get a tidewater solid fiberclass all roller. Acadamy now for either $29 or $39 bucks. Put a Senator 114 wide (6/0) on it. Ebay or otherwised used for under a $100

40# - Ugly Stick BWB 1140 6.5', line class 30-50. Acadamy for $49. Newell 540 reel, used for $100 on ebay. This was my all around rig, great for jigging, very light, snapper, casting, etc. before I went to all 2 spds.

So, get above, you are set, and total costs should be well under $500 for the lot, a hair over $500 if you get the 2sp for 60#.

I challange anyone that the above would cover 95% or more of ALL your deepwater needs om GOM (but for maybe swordfish/marlin/giant sharks), and that any of the above would not only work but would work very well for the purposes. Sure you can get better, fancier gear, but Fuelish1, you need good quality gear now, and this is very good stuff and you will land your fish. Including the big ones. Now quit dicking around, start looking for this stuff, and get on that 60hour trip. :D

While not the most glamorous rigs, Jig is right there all you need for a bare bones setup.

d-a

9. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

GREAT advice, and well taken, I DO need a rod with the huevos to bring up the BEAST, a roller guide rod sounds like the ticket to replace that poor slammer that got BUSTED by a UFO (big AJ or grouper) I am all over that advice for the roller guides and senator. I have a newell G440-F that i was rotating on the now deceased PENN SLAMMER that I have loaded with 300m of 50# pp and topshoted to the top with mono to fill it...may just put THAT on my HOPPER rod....(I forgot all about that reel!)

Guess I need to roll over to Academy to see if I can git one of them Tidewater roller guide rods ASAP (damn...back to school shoppers)

I would like at sometime to get a real nice reel for that hopper jigging rod...single speed is fine, how much advantage would a two speed be anyways? (sound of a can of worms opening)

THANKS everyone for any and all input you have given/have yet to give!
    here is the link to the other site/story of the trip Late report w/pics Dolphin Docks 48hr - 2CoolFishing

here are the pics of my poor Penn SLAMMER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

guess I need a new ROD too for keeping those big AJ's and grouper from getting back into their hidey holes! :eek:

11. jig

jig Senior Member

Newell/hopper would be a good combination.

12. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

Newell/hopper would be a good combination.

looks pretty good too...not like that oversized longbeach 68 on that "lil" rod....

13. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

hit two of the academys today...no good offshore rods at all...one had ONE TIDEWATER rod, rated to 80#, but had regular guides, no rollers...the other one I hit had the exact same rod, but had 6 of them.... guess ya gotta be a little closer to the salt water to find the good stuff!

14. jig

jig Senior Member

I have a great fondness for the Long Beach 68. It was my first big game reel, back when all I could do was fish piers and beachfront. It finally blew up (and boy do I mean BLEW UP!) on a beachfront stingray we estimated at over 200lbs. Its a great reel for bull reds and smaller sharks on the beach.

15. txwoody

txwoody Junior member

The big "C" store in Buda may have some UglyStiks.
    Jigmasters are pretty good low ticket reels.

16. shanker

shanker Senior Member

I have a fully rigged out Jigmaster (Accurate Sideplates w/ bearings, Tiburon Frame, Accurate spool, and Newell 6:1 gears, HT100 drags) and it still only puts down 9lbs of usable drag pulling straight off the reel.

I used to use it for snapper, but my Avet JX fits that bill now.

17. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have a fully rigged out Jigmaster (Accurate Sideplates w/ bearings, Tiburon Frame, Accurate spool, and Newell 6:1 gears, HT100 drags) and it still only puts down 9lbs of usable drag pulling straight off the reel.

I used to use it for snapper, but my Avet JX fits that bill now.
    I had the same thing but I double stacked the drag washer and got 13# whooo hooo!:D
    That reel hit ebay in a heartbeat.

18. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

Their offshore ROD selection sucks...I think I have more than they do!;) They got some tackle and lures though....and believe me, I've bought ALOT of stuff there! I may have to order online to get either the Ugly Stick or the Tidewater I need.....hmmmm, I wonder what ROYS has in stock.......gotta love that place's selection!

19. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Roys has a lot. I was there a week ago and had a very hard time leaving. They most likely have a good selection that will work...

20. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

Roys has a lot. I was there a week ago and had a very hard time leaving. They most likely have a good selection that will work...

I was in there and got my reel spooled up with 80# mono b4 my 48hr trip...and as I wandered around the store for the 1st time....I think I heard someone call out for a mop and bucket to clean up the trail of drool I left in my wake! I cant believe I've driven right past that place for so many years and that was my 1st time to go in!:eek: