Need a couple rods built

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by pounder21366, Apr 15, 2009.

1. pounder21366

pounder21366 Member

I'm looking for someone to build me a couple solid fiberglass rods. Length between 6-6 1/2'. Alps triangle aluminum reel seat. Whatever the best guides are that don't have inserts - no rollers. Want the grips to be hypalon. Want it to be set up just like the Okuma Cedros jigging rods. Will be using 80 lb. Ande Monster yellow in 80 lb. test. About 25 lbs. max drag. Probably be using a Daiwa Saltiga SA-50 with greased carbontex drag. If anyone is interested send me a p.m. with a idea on price. If you need more info, let me know. Thanks, Chuck.

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

3. pounder21366

pounder21366 Member

BTW, I'm not looking for jigging rods. Looking for catfish rods. Just want them to look like the Okuma's. Thanks, Chuck.

4. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

What kinda catfish you catching gonna pull 25lbs of drag?

5. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

What kinda catfish you catching gonna pull 25lbs of drag?

They exist.

I'm also interested in this kind of rod building...

Attached Files:

6. pounder21366

pounder21366 Member

Nice fish! And they get ALOT bigger!

7. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

no problem with something like that.
    those cats put up a nice fight:D

8. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Nice fish! And they get ALOT bigger!

haha, awe man pounder your killin me! Thats my PB, I guess make it a mission land a bigger one for you this spring run :D

lol - thanks for the compliment. Paul you are from the same waters as me... you know these big girls exist too right?

9. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

They exist.

I'm also interested in this kind of rod building...

Hey Enoch,

You catch that Noddling? :D

Ty

10. pounder21366

pounder21366 Member

Hey Enouch, what did that big girl go? 30-40 lbs? My pb is just over 30, but I've hooked a couple MUCH bigger. My equipment just hasn't been up to the task. Had one last year snap 2 inserts out of my Berkley E-cat 3. Atleast I got to see her...she was wayyyy bigger than the 30. That's 3 pretty good cat rods with inserts stripped out by flatheads...NO MORE GUIDE INSERTS!

11. pounder21366

pounder21366 Member

Don't really know if any catfish can pull 25 lbs. of drag, but then again I don't want to give them 1 inch of line. So I hope 25 is enough.

12. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

your problem is probably not the fact that the guides have rings, it was probably that the guides were of poor quality. I have caught many tuna on ringed guides and they run a lot faster than any catfish possibly can. Ringed guides like SIC or SIN will also have better heat dispensation than any guides without rings.

13. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Ty,

Yea, I'd totally would like to try noodling those monsters, however the bacteria level in the skuke would probably leave me growing a third appendage... Haha

Pounder, that flathead was mid 30's, I didn't have a correct working scale that night and had to use a fellow anglers that was "off" a bit... :)

They are heating up around my area, more pics to come.

14. pounder21366

pounder21366 Member

Mike 2 of the rods had SIC guides, the other 2 had lesser quality fuji's. It's not the running that is breaking these guides. It's the vulger display of powerful thrashing and headshaking tha flatheads do that breaks them. Maybe the guides were already cracked before this happened. I don't know. But it doesn't matter. All that matters is I don't have equipment failure with a big fish on. Also, I've been using some solid glass rods with stainless guides for several years without a failure. They are 15-30 lb. I need something heavier.

15. Try either Fuji bridge guides, or pad bay perfections (no ring)

16. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Ty,

Yea, I'd totally would like to try noodling those monsters, however the bacteria level in the skuke would probably leave me growing a third appendage... Haha

Enoch,

Yet another reason to call it the "ShureKill River" instead of Schuylkill River.

Ty

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

dude no way im noodling in the schuylkill. F that.