360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to the SW corner of Stellwagen today. Arrived a little late (8am)Upon arriving ,spotted a bunch of whales,birds right off the bat, no fish on the surface, but it looked good, so I decided to put out a couple XRaps. With 2 in I figured I might as well put a spreader bar out if we were going to troll for a bit. I had just put A bar in the water and started letting it back when one of the x rap rods went off. Yea baby, 5 Minutes into the day and I'm on already.Just after I cleared the cockpit and the fish had made it's first run I started cranking And pop! WTF? Honestly, I almost never break them off. I had just put on a fresh leader. When I got it back the end of the line was flat?Like it had somehow been crushed. I'm still trying to figure what happened. Anyway, I put 2 xraps back out and turn the boat, head back over where we just hooked up and (you guessed it) Round 2! This one was a blast! VERY lively fish No long runs ,But about 5-6 blistering short ones with lots of BANG BANG BANGING head shakes and just going nuts in between. I love the feisty ones.We Get This one Right to the transom, I've got the leader on the rod,My buddy has the gaff in the water and we're looking right at the fish. (Big one) Just as he goes to gaff it the fish goes nuts, Under the corner and hit a trimtab. You can guess the rest.:( 0 for 2. We troll around a little longer and it's looking slower and I want to do some jigging, so we take a ride to see if we can see something that looks a little better. We head to a number where there was a lot of activity a week or so ago, and about a mile from where were headed we start to see Onesie twosie jumpers."Lets stop here and jig a bit" I tell my buddy.I pick out a nice current line where we just saw a few busting, and I drop a jig. I mark a fish at 100', So 100' goes the jig. About 3 min later, I'm tight! On the OTI G3. (I love fighting them on this rod) I'm on the fish for about 15 min And I'm getting tired I want my buddy to see how the OTI handles these fish so I hand it off to him He's on the fish for about 5 Min. Looking at the line I figure He's about 30 ft. Down. We're getting close. I look up and watch as the rod goes limp. Just pulled the hook. :confused: Hows that Go? "If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have no luck at all. For about 2 hours after that we watched fish bust in every direction. UP and down very quickly ,You couldn't even start to head for them and they were gone, But there were a TON of fish there. We couldn't manage to get tight again before I had to leave.I know we could have hooked another If we could have stayed. ALL in all, I feel the day couldn't have been much better. My buddy was disappointed we didn't put one in the boat, But the way I see it Is, We got all the fun without all the work. It's tough trying to give away 100 lbs of tuna.:)
If you can get out there ,By all means do. There are still lots of fish around.

My buddy got some shots of the fights. If I can get them, I'll post them later.

·
147 Posts
We went to the SW corner of Stellwagen today. Arrived a little late (8am)Upon arriving ,spotted a bunch of whales,birds right off the bat, no fish on the surface, but it looked good, so I decided to put out a couple XRaps. With 2 in I figured I might as well put a spreader bar out if we were going to troll for a bit. I had just put A bar in the water and started letting it back when one of the x rap rods went off. Yea baby, 5 Minutes into the day and I'm on already.Just after I cleared the cockpit and the fish had made it's first run I started cranking And pop! WTF? Honestly, I almost never break them off. I had just put on a fresh leader. When I got it back the end of the line was flat?Like it had somehow been crushed. I'm still trying to figure what happened. Anyway, I put 2 xraps back out and turn the boat, head back over where we just hooked up and (you guessed it) Round 2! This one was a blast! VERY lively fish No long runs ,But about 5-6 blistering short ones with lots of BANG BANG BANGING head shakes and just going nuts in between. I love the feisty ones.We Get This one Right to the transom, I've got the leader on the rod,My buddy has the gaff in the water and we're looking right at the fish. (Big one) Just as he goes to gaff it the fish goes nuts, Under the corner and hit a trimtab. You can guess the rest.:( 0 for 2. We troll around a little longer and it's looking slower and I want to do some jigging, so we take a ride to see if we can see something that looks a little better. We head to a number where there was a lot of activity a week or so ago, and about a mile from where were headed we start to see Onesie twosie jumpers."Lets stop here and jig a bit" I tell my buddy.I pick out a nice current line where we just saw a few busting, and I drop a jig. I mark a fish at 100', So 100' goes the jig. About 3 min later, I'm tight! On the OTI G3. (I love fighting them on this rod) I'm on the fish for about 15 min And I'm getting tired I want my buddy to see how the OTI handles these fish so I hand it off to him He's on the fish for about 5 Min. Looking at the line I figure He's about 30 ft. Down. We're getting close. I look up and watch as the rod goes limp. Just pulled the hook. :confused: Hows that Go? "If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have no luck at all. For about 2 hours after that we watched fish bust in every direction. UP and down very quickly ,You couldn't even start to head for them and they were gone, But there were a TON of fish there. We couldn't manage to get tight again before I had to leave.I know we could have hooked another If we could have stayed. ALL in all, I feel the day couldn't have been much better. My buddy was disappointed we didn't put one in the boat, But the way I see it Is, We got all the fun without all the work. It's tough trying to give away 100 lbs of tuna.:)
If you can get out there ,By all means do. There are still lots of fish around.

My buddy got some shots of the fights. If I can get them, I'll post them later.

Great report. Better to hook up and lose the battle rather than just a no life day.................

·
373 Posts
I echo everything you experienced NC. The only difference with us is we put a fish in the boat. We were up on the bank early but I wasn't feeling the love there so i headed in towards PH and we found many fish up and down spread out all over. I saw some real nice marks hugging the bottom and told my two buddies to drop some jigs on em'. Frank jigs his rod maybe twice and comes tight. <30 min. and we have a nice 57" in the boat and a very happy first time CC Bay fisherman. We struggled the rest of the day with only some hilarious comic relief over the radio provided by the one and only Capt. Dom who was dying a slow death today with the lack of eager and willing fish. A beautiful day on the water and i count us very lucky getting a fish in the boat in some very tough conditions.

·
1,386 Posts
I echo everything you experienced NC. The only difference with us is we put a fish in the boat. We were up on the bank early but I wasn't feeling the love there so i headed in towards PH and we found many fish up and down spread out all over. I saw some real nice marks hugging the bottom and told my two buddies to drop some jigs on em'. Frank jigs his rod maybe twice and comes tight. <30 min. and we have a nice 57" in the boat and a very happy first time CC Bay fisherman. We struggled the rest of the day with only some hilarious comic relief over the radio provided by the one and only Capt. Dom who was dying a slow death today with the lack of eager and willing fish. A beautiful day on the water and i count us very lucky getting a fish in the boat in some very tough conditions.

Nice fish! I had to travel one day this week, yesterday, of course the best day for fishing...

·
147 Posts
Nice fish! I had to travel one day this week, yesterday, of course the best day for fishing...

Ya and now it's sheet until next week.................:mad:

Mike, were you using that black and purple butterfly jig again or did you toss that after your last battle;)

·
373 Posts

That's fall tuna fishing unfortunately. Just a waiting game now but frankly it wasn't very good yesterday or the day before so you are not missing much.

·
80 Posts
The conditions out there were just like what NC and Mike described. Lots of fish around, just hard to get them to chew. We were casting and jigging when the fish were active, but switched to the troll when it quieted down. Had one good rip on a X-Rap but it did not stay buttoned. We hung around Peaked Hill through slack but nothing really got going again that we saw.

So we picked up and scouted the bay and found some pods near the dumping grounds. They were up and down in a flash, but we stuck with them blind casting and jigging. Finally we came tight on a Ronz pretty late in the day. After two close calls with lobster pots that took some artful maneuvering, we had him in the clear. But after 25 minutes, the line broke! It looked like he must have inhaled the jig and had been sawing the 80 pound flouro near it since we had pretty much the whole leader back. So close to redemption! At least the the guy who hooked it had his first tuna experience. Tuna fever is worse than the swine flu! Almost twelve hours on the water with two hits to show for it was a long day. Still better than not being there!

The worst thing was that I had to drive about half way home with no trailer brakes! Thank god the roads were dry. I had just changed from drums to dics and the back up solenoid broke off its fitting on the back of the brake fluid reservoir. :mad: Depending on how quickly I can get the part, that makes it tough to get back up there with all these "great" weather windows we have had this fall!!!!

·
373 Posts

Mike, were you using that black and purple butterfly jig again or did you toss that after your last battle;)

That jig was retired after one fish by my buddie John. The jig that took this fish was a Shimano Butterfly in Pink/Blue/White.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts