360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to dedicate this report to Zack. Your my Bro and I missed you badly this weekend, but if I had known that all we needed for a pretty weather day or three was to put to on a plane to Panama, I would have passed the hat 9 weeks ago. :)

Scheduling and weather:
We have not had break in weather where I didn't have a scheduling conflict for the past 3 months. The handful of days and small windows occured when I had unavoidable obligations. So when I looked at a beautiful 3 day window, I cashed a chip and got down to my place in Beaufort with the plan of fishing with the Mitch/Dean crew on Day 1 and the Ponce crew on Day 2. I have to tell you that I was calling BS in the back of my mind for 2 straight days of good weather for fish, but to my disbelief it held.

We saw two of the prettiest days, in terms of wave height and period, that I have seen in a long time.

We kicked off Day 1 from Beaufort and ran out in Dean's 26 Cat straight out to the AR. The crew was Dean, Mitch, myself and their two offshore virgin guests (I suck with names and I'm sorry about that). Its tough to feel bad though because they called me Tim all day. :)

Anyway we wanted to get the new guys some pullage right away, so we through out the high speed stuff about 3 miles short of the AR and made our way in and ran a loop to find the jacks. No high speed bites then, but we did located the fish.

Breaking in the New guys:
I gave one of the Guests that had never been offshore the Eastern Tackle crash course in jigging and got him hooked up. I got him to pose for a picture with his very first jack.

Then I explained that's not how jiggers pose with their first jack and got him repositioned. :)

High Speed Trolling:
After some more jacks, we decided to high speed trolled some more. We went out to 1000ft, then way south, then way way North. Maybe 30 miles of it. We went 0 for 3. I'm not sure what my bad mojo is on Deans boat but that is 0 for 7 high speed bites so far, with absolutely no explanation.

Deep Water Jigging:
When we stopped we angled for a deep water spot looking for bigger fish. We had this little guy to keep us company. He had an impress set of hardware on his face.

Mitch and Friend

A little regular trolling:
There were fish there, but still not big. We left there just regular trolling our way back in and were getting hammered by fat alberts. I would cuss their existence, but something happened later in the day that changed that.

Back to Jigging:
We went back south to our spot and Dean "Sardine" Harris hooked something later in the day on a 200g Potroast color Sardine that wouldn't come to the boat. We were already calling him Sardine Dean, because he had been killing it with the jig all day, catching 2 to everyone else one fish.

200g Sardine Link<---Clicky

What had happened was that the FA at the Sardine, then this jack immediately ate the Sardine and the FA. The fish taped out at a hair under 66" on the boat, but just didn't have the girth to take the state record at 37.5". If the girth had been 40", it would have been right in there.

Misc. Photos from the day:
We took a bunch of photo's and video. It will take me a while to get through two days of video, but I will attach the rest of the pics with short descriptions on here.

The other Offshore Virgins first Jack on the purple Katana

Dean "Sar-Dean" with the potroast Sardine

Jim/Me with the potroast Sardine, I guess I couldn't resist any longer

Mitch with the tried and true Potroast Sandflea

Dean hooked up to a jack on conventional gear

Guest fighting one.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa12/seadraggin/IMG_0880.jpg

Dean with purple Katana
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa12/seadraggin/IMG_0879.jpg

Mitch hooked up.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa12/seadraggin/IMG_0891.jpg

Dean, possibly fighting the AJ/FA combo sandwich
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa12/seadraggin/IMG_0892.jpg

Me. I think fishing the 400g Katana in 160' of water. I see I have a layer off.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa12/seadraggin/IMG_0894.jpg

Little guy
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa12/seadraggin/IMG_0895.jpg

Sharks have to eat too.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa12/seadraggin/IMG_0901.jpg

Mitch with a Almaco. There were tons of Alberts and Almacos on Day 1. They fight much bigger than they are.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa12/seadraggin/IMG_0904.jpg

Thanks guys, I enjoyed it.
Jim

·
444 Posts
Way to go, Jim, Mitch and Dean! So that's how you get the big AJs up there in Morehead. Live bait! :eek: If anyone wonders whether you can use a jig too big for those AJs, take a look at the size of that Albie on the deck! Must've been a hell of a fight!

·
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Way to go, Jim, Mitch and Dean! So that's how you get the big AJs up there in Morehead. Live bait! :eek: If anyone wonders whether you can use a jig too big for those AJs, take a look at the size of that Albie on the deck! Must've been a hell of a fight!

You know where we saw the rays and cobias when you were down. Thats where the big boys live apparently. But the thought of a 64oz jig makes me cringe.

I have a good portion of the fight on tape. You know how we get. The angler that spends 20 minutes on the rail gets it from both ends - the fish and the crew. :D

·
444 Posts
You know where we saw the rays and cobias when you were down. Thats where the big boys live apparently. But the thought of a 64oz jig makes me cringe.

I have a good portion of the fight on tape. You know how we get. The angler that spends 20 minutes on the rail gets it from both ends - the fish and the crew. :D

Ah, thats where you were. I remember you saying you thought that'd be a good area. Looks like you got that one right! :D As for a 64oz jig, I suppose you could look at the Albie as a jig that supplies its own action! ;) Less work for the angler.

Wow, getting beat up by a 120lb. AJ AND the crew at the same time?! Tough crowd. Dean must be in traction! :D

·
2,924 Posts
Great fish, congrats it is a beast. That's a trophy for your jig line. Curios ... what did it end up weighing? it will be a great barometer for the species. On sportfishermen Mitch said he screwed up the measurement and it was actually 63.5". so in order to beat record how long/wide does it need to be IYO?

·
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure the measurement was not accurate, because for the trophy citation and were we tried to weigh it, we couldn't get the fishes tail totally off the ground and it was bent, when the guy took the shorter measurement. With the tail touching the ground, this one was 105-106 range. We could have gotten a few more lbs with a better scale location and if we had been able to get the fish off the ground.

But it needs to be in the 64-66" range with a girth of 40+ inches. I think Mike has some in the 64" range with 54" girth, but I could be mistaken on that. I think something like that could do it. After seeing a reel contender, the girth will be important to me than the length going forward.

·
2,924 Posts
Cool that's a good benchmark for all of us jigging down there, it's what we have been missing. I was only mentioning what Mitch said on SFC about the 63.5 and I was curious cause mine was in same size class. Doesn't matter the fish is a true trophy

was it mixed in withsmaller fish?

·
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, mixed right in with 20-25lb almaco's/aj's and the little fa's.

The scale at EJW is ok for fish 50-70lbs, but we won't go there next time we have something like this.

I have seen a bunch of jacks, but its sort of like bluefin, folks really don't understand what a true giant looks like until they have seen one. Now I have a much better understanding of sizing the XL Jacks.

Also, I was talking to my cousin about this. He was saying that in the big rock the same thing happened to a boat a few years ago. They brought in a 125" fish that finished third because it didn't have the girth.

·
Spinal Rods
777 Posts
Awesome fish as said on SFC. Glas you guys got out there.

You bring up a good point. I have no time on the water further south and it seems like there are more pigs down there when fishing the same area. I remember seeing trips with Capt Chip where it seemed as though the entire charter got 70lb plus jacks.
In Morehead all I have seen is schoolie jacks with some growers in the shool and then there is 1-2 dominent fish 70+lb fish. I am guessing the difference is that we fish smaller pieces of bottom/wreck that hold other critters. We never really fished the larger ledges and bottom in the stream.

Does this seem to have any merrit with you guys that have more time down there? Hope it makes sense.

·
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Makes sense to me. I'm sure this guy was the king of the reef. But.... on this reef I have caught cobias, makos, yellowfins and more mahi's than I care to remember, not to mention bottom dwellers. I can guarantee you some of the makos I have caught there would put this guy in his place fast.

Thats the thing about ocean fishing, no matter how good I do, there is always somebody doing better than me.

I think the same goes under water too. No matter how big the fish is, there is always one bigger.

·
620 Posts
I guess girth does matter lmfao

How did I know this was coming!!!!:D :D :D :D

Great report Jim, and incredible fish mate, congrats to that man!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts