NC Jigging 4/10

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by cbaker77, Apr 12, 2008.

1. cbaker77

cbaker77 Site Sponsor

Headed out of Wrightsville beach with high hopes but found the conditions rather unfavorable with tons of current and pretty windy. Managed only one snowy grouper but still plenty of ajs. Largest aj was 101lbs. We normally release the ajs but a mako attacked him and he was dead so we got an official weight. We hooked a 200 plus lb mako which is definitely a first for me but unfortunately he bit through #12 wire. Saw Kilsong out there and they had a better trip. Hopefully he will post up a report. I will post pics of the big aj tomorrow.

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I agree, that is a huge AJ!!!! Congratulations!!!

To catch an AJ over 100 lbs on jigs is my main reason to go down there.

Kil, you may have a chance on the Big E in July.

Scott

4. cbaker77

cbaker77 Site Sponsor

I caught that fish on my first drop right before you guys got there. It was fighting very strange for an AJ but turns out he had a big mako hot on his tail :eek:. You guys were in the right spot. That is where we have caught all the big AJs. Unfortunately, once again, you did not have very favorable conditions. That amount of current is not typical. You will get your 100lb AJ and that is the spot to do it.

5. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Chip, very nice report cant wait to get back down there.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

hey chip....leave some of the 100+ lbs AJs in the water for us on May 3rd :)

7. cbaker77

cbaker77 Site Sponsor

Thanks John!

Bret,
    That is the only one that has ever actually been taken on my boat and that was only because it was dead. We put em all back in the drink so we can catch em another day.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

haha I'm just giving you a hard time.......did you end up eating it?

9. cbaker77

cbaker77 Site Sponsor

Here she is. 101 lbs...

I did not eat it but somebody is. She made it to the fish house.

Attached Files:

10. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

damn thats a bruiser..........really hope i can get into one or more of those!!!

12. cbaker77

cbaker77 Site Sponsor

I hope you do too Bret. I would say you have a good shot but it is fishing so you never know. I will say out of about a dozen trips to that spot we have caught at least a dozen over 100lbs. On some trips we have caught multiples. IT is always good when you can't pick your arms up after a day of fishing!

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

sounds excellent!

14. jtl720

jtl720 Junior member

What kind of jigs do you use? weight color? i am planning on buying some OTI jigs. any popular colors to suggest i will be trying out of morehead city nc?

15. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

That is a GREAT AJ for sure, congrat's.