360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out Sunday morning in almost perfect conditions. We made short work of the 60 mile run in the contender and stopped a couple miles short and threw out a couple trolling lures on our way to the spot in hopes of picking off a wahoo. Our wish was granted about 10 minutes after lines in when the flatline bait started to scream with a nice 40-45 pound wahoo. We added a couple blackfins, a skipjack, and missed a sail in about half an hour and then we went to jigging. We got on the spot and it was immediate hookup for all. Arlen, Roland, chelsea and myself all hooked up. The look on Chelsea's face we she hooked that AJ in deep water was priceless. Arlen and I had warned her that she didn't know what she was getting herself into but she held in there and landed a couple nice deepwater AJs. The slaughter continued when I hooked into something large and in charge ripping drag at an alarming rate when it came straight up in the water column. Tell tale signs of a big wahoo. About 3 or 4 minutes into it the hooks pulled. AS my jig sank back down to the depths something grabs it and was off to the races again. After 15 minute back and forth battle a beast of an amberjack 63"x40" estimated 120 lbs reaches the surface. After that we worked our way inshore looking for grouper. The grouper eluded us but we loaded the box with nice big trigger fish and assorted other bottom critters including Arlens third hog snapper on the jig. Really neat fish and great on the dinner table. We had an awesome day on the water and a 40 knot run to the barn in lake Atlantic. The fishing is awesome right now so come get some.

Attachments

·
Site Sponsor
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I miss em but it feels good to be home. They will be here in a few weeks so we will give em a shot then.

·
Site Sponsor
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are the new star plasma jigging rods that Arlen is testing. Nice feeling rods. I think Arlen said they will be available in January. Maybe he can add a little bit more about them.

·
444 Posts
Great job, Chip! Good eats and lots of pullage! That's the kind of AJ I'm lookin' for! Glad to see you back in the swing in NC after the great job in CC. Gotta get back out there with you and Arlen. :)

·
1,553 Posts
Those are the new star plasma jigging rods that Arlen is testing. Nice feeling rods. I think Arlen said they will be available in January. Maybe he can add a little bit more about them.
very smith like wit the action and rear grip. can you get some close up shots and specs for these?

·
430 Posts
Hey Chip,

Very nice picture's..... I want to thank you for a great season in the Cape,
we had some really good days together and many laugh's as well.
[Hows your blue balls]:p I landed my personal best tuna ever on a stickbait
and could not have done it with out you, your a great guy and awesome
charter Capt. Thank you so much Chip. Cant wait to get down there and pul
on some Donkeys:D see you soon.

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
Yo Chippa,

Good to see you back out on the water, and getting into some o them reef donkeys. That fish was a HOSS, but nothing like some of the toads we have seen up here over the last couple days....these BFT are on their way south, hope you tune em up while I sip margaritas and catch 3 pound bones all day long down in mexico. Dont beat up on these tuners too badly, I have a dinner date with them next June.

·
Site Sponsor
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Dom. Ill try not to hurt em too bad but while your in mexico sippin margaritas im gonna be freezin my ass off in rough nasty 40 degree temps trying to catch those damn things.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts