NC AJ jigging with bonus

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Eastern Tackle, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Team Di'hrd hit the water again on Saturday. The weatherman was calling for 3' every 9 seconds, so we prepared for a jigging overnighter leaving on Saturday morning and returning Sunday.

Unfortunately by the time we hit the 30 mile point we were encountering 3-4 every 4 seconds. We are all sea worthy and made our way on out. The mission was for a 100lb.+ size AJ. We knew we would have to work through a bunch of smaller fish to get one, but we were prepared to earn it, even in the less than ideal conditions.

We did catch a lot of AJ's both big and small, with a couple pushing the 70lb mark, but none over that. I'm a little tired and leaving out many details I'm sure. Hot jigs of the day were Pot Roast, Chupacabra, Michael the Dog and the Sand Flea. We also did a lot of testing on the new version of the WLB, the WLB-G. Everything was just right with those. Lots of bites.

We decided that conditions weren't good enough to stay the night, but stopped on the way home with a theory about hog snapper. Pete swung for the fences and got one. Then we went through a big storm coming home and got to see a nice rainbow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Jigging is awesome. Great catch guys.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

nice fish! i havent heard of those jigs before, who makes them. thanks for the report.

4. leohan

leohan Junior member

Eastern,
    What's that fish called in the last picture?

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Eastern,
    What's that fish called in the last picture?

Hog snapper

d-a

6. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

One detail I left out:

I would like to emphasize having the proper venting tools for these fish to be released in good condition. Especially those bigger ones need a little love and TLC to get them to spring back to life. You almost have to bring them into the boat to do it, but they swim away much better. Without venting, they wouldn't swim away at all.