my way of sluggo rigging

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jul 9, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I just got a mail of Bill Hurley plastic baits (sluggo) from Kevin to try them. Thanks Kevin.

The 9" sluggo looks good. But I had to find some lead head for the sluggo. When I looked around my shop, I found Shimano's Lucanus jigs with various sizes. Here is what I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jig

jig Senior Member

Looks good. I order some as well, but I plan of fishing them on a strike pro (I think) 3oz lead head. I thought these Hurley baits were good price ($4.99/4). I got the lead heads at Acadamy clearance $1.88/4. So looks like a decent bait for total cost of under $2/each.

Kil, do you know where we can find solid rings that are not flat edged (like the Owners)? I don't want to make my own.

3. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

you just raised the price of that sluggo by 15$ lol

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Looks good. I order some as well, but I plan of fishing them on a strike pro (I think) 3oz lead head. I thought these Hurley baits were good price ($4.99/4). I got the lead heads at Acadamy clearance $1.88/4. So looks like a decent bait for total cost of under $2/each.

Kil, do you know where we can find solid rings that are not flat edged (like the Owners)? I don't want to make my own.
    Some rich bluefin go after expensive lures, but most blueifn don't care about prices. :)

Did you check Anglers Proshop?
    I don't have round solid rings in stock, but I'lll get them soon.

5. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

My bet is that Kil didn't have to pay much if anything at all for those Lucanus Jigs but I would love to hear he paid through the nose like the rest of us. I bought 5 of them in various sizes about a month ago for sea bassin' on Fleabay and have only used them once to great disappointment so maybe I will have to press a couple into tuna duty. Thanks for the idea Kil and I hope you try them tomorrow.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

its just another way to try a proven lure, is that bad? a bullet headed lead head would be a nice way as well. i want to try them here (texas) for tuna as I think they'll work.

7. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

you just raised the price of that sluggo by 15$ lol

I was thinking the same thing!

Great idea Kil. Now its time to test out the new creation.

8. jig

jig Senior Member

Bret, the hurleys are about the best deal I have found on this type lure (cheaper than slug gos and Hogies). I just ordered the 4 pack replacement bodies.

Kil, APS has only mediums, and it says they are 14mm. I was hoping to find something a little smaller.

Kim likes this.
  9. sarahfirst

sarahfirst Senior Member

10. sarahfirst

sarahfirst Senior Member

11. slowpicth

slowpicth Well-Known Member

Wow...what a revival back in 09

12. sarahfirst

sarahfirst Senior Member

do they sell just the heads?? a squid strip on each hook, "killer"

13. slowpicth