360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started piecing together my popping set up. I got a Saragossa 18k and spoiled it with 80lb hollow core. My question is how do you recommend typing the flouro leader to it? Fg knot? Also what lb Fluoro?

also for the rod I am thinking a ghost hunter 150. Is this rod though to long for a boat popping rod?

·
Registered
119 Posts
You want to learn a loop to loop connection & use either a BHP casting wind-on or a “saltywater twisty leader”. You can google either for more specifics. Tying a knot with hollowcore defeats the purpose of having hollowcore in the first place, and it does not seat knots well as it lays flat.
the Ghost Hunter 150 is better suited for an 8-14k sized reel, so that combination may be very imbalanced. You are better off pairing your 18k with the ghost Hunter 200, or going smaller on the reel w/ the gh150 if you are seeing smaller fish

·
Registered
237 Posts
Splice the floro into the hollow core. That’s the whole purpose of hollow core. After that you can either add a leader with a PR bobbin knot, FG, or make some wind-ons and attach it via loop to loop. It depends on the brand of flourished you are using. But you want to match lbs as close as possible. There is a guide for splicing hollow ace. You will probably be fine following the same guidelines with whatever brand you chose. You shouldn’t need more than 80lbs you can bump it to 100 and I know some guys use 130lb but 80 should be fine. I use a 18k Stella on a ocea plugger rod and I see no balance issue but I’m a big guy so might not be the same for someone else

·
Registered
15 Posts
I second the loop-to-loop with a BHP or self-made wind-on suggestion. It's not hard to splice a loop into hollow core (trophy tackle has a good video on youtube). I started out using solid braid with a surgeons knot or Bimini twist to make a loop for wind-on connections, but I much prefer the way the loop-to-loop with spliced hollow casts. It is also has the benefit of maintaining 100% line strength. Splicing leader directly into your hollow core will achieve these same benefits, but you won't be able to swap out your leader very easily, which I think is a significant sacrifice. I've transitioned all my casting set-ups to the hollow core and spliced loop system

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 14k gosa on a pe6 oceans legacy focal for sambos up to about 35kg in Australia. I also have a Shimano ocea offshore stickbait 7'9 80lb and I am planning on pairing it up with an 18k gosa. It's a good rod and it's a good length for a boat, I would definitely recommend both rods.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use a ghost hunter and its great but I haven't caught anything big yet. Bring both reels, start with the 18K until you get an idea of the size the fish are. If they are all under 80lbs switch to the 14K to save your strength.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would stick with the 18k, as mentioned above if you hook into a 120-200 lb fish you will quickly wish you had the 18. You will never regret getting a 60-80lber to the boat a little easier though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts