360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

MY Personal best, CC Popping

2K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  BretABaker 
#1 ·
After getting two jigging trips canceled in Cape May, i went tuna popping
in Cape Cod. Along with my brother and good friend we fished with
Capt. Chip Baker on the Ocean Experince.

The day started with light winds and flat sea's, upon arriving at are spot
we started to see small pods of huge tunas crashing on the surface, soon
after i see a few fish crashing and i casted at them 4 pulls ZZZZZZZZZZZZ
fish on. After a very hard fight i landed a 68'' beast my personal best.

Unfornately while fighting my tuna there was huge pods of 200-300lbs.
crashing all around us and my brother and friend could not cast to them.

The rest of the day saw us chasing fish and seeing huge pods of tunas
sunning themselves on the surface and would not hit anything we casted
at them.

I want to thank Capt Chip for a great day and working so hard to put
us on fish.

Hooked Up

Saltiga Dorado Slider

68'' Beast

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice tuna. It's always great to be on the water beat a personal best. We all dream about it. Time on the water makes dreams come true.
What do you estimate the weight of that 68" bluefin?

One more thing. In your picture I thought I saw a snap swivel attached to your lure. After blowing it up I see where you went lure/split ring/swivel.
Do you use this setup on most of your swimbaits?

Congrats on a fine catch.

Attachments

#10 ·
Nice tuna. It's always great to be on the water beat a personal best. We all dream about it. Time on the water makes dreams come true.

One more thing. In your picture I thought I saw a snap swivel attached to your lure. After blowing it up I see where you went lure/split ring/swivel.

If I were to guess, that's a 230# Spro barrell swivel and a #8 Owner split ring.

#19 ·

MrBill,

Thank you, IMO that fish weigh's around 180-190lb.

Yes i use swivel split ring, it works great to reduce line twist.

#22 ·
Great catch. I'm jealous. I guess that setup ha passed to tx as that is the same I use. I like being able to change lures without retying a knot in 100lb.
It also prevent line twist that happens in the air/ fish on from getting back in the reel.

Absolutely on big fish you get an insane amount of line twist so the swivel helps that a lot. Plus quick change is always a benefit. That is the way we all set up for jigging and popping up here

#24 ·
Its a good method for sure. I saw a guy do this on the gulf eagle in 07. I have been rigging this way ever since.
I just recently started experimenting rigging jigs this way. I am starting to see no need for a solid ring when using a swivel and split ring.

I totally stopped using a solid ring, the swivel is a perfect replacement that adds value to your set up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.