360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

My own message board

5K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  ty2philly 
#1 ·
I am thinking about having my own message board for my shop.
I am working as a moderator of Jigging/Popping forum of Noreast.com, but I am even reluctant to mention about products I carry on the site as I am a moderator there. Even I am sponsors of several websites including 360tuna, but I am not comfortable to talk about any product I carry as it might be construed as advertisement though I think I express my opinions objectively.

So I figure all problems can be solved if I set up a commercial message boards and discuss about products whether I carry or not.
I get many similar questions a day and it also helps me a lot to save my time to discuss openly.
My ideas are to have separate sub-forums for each products like Jigging Master or OTI which I carry and get manufactures/suppliers involved in the discussion so that users can get more detailed and direct info from them.

The discussion will be for any product, not limited to products I carry.
First of all, the primary objective of my shop is to provide services to fishermen right tackles and information.

Any good suggestions ?

See less See more
#2 ·
Kilsong,

Thanks for taking the time to set this thing up.

I think its a great idea, at least those individuals looking for info can find it and determine how they want to fish before coming for merchandise.

I think some important topics for discussion on the web forum would be:

1. In-stock availability of tackle
2. Pictures gallery
3. Planned Offshore trips for members
4. Objective Brand/Gear Reviews
5. Store meeting time and location info for Jigging World

As I understand it, you want to provide a real-time source for your operations and being your own web-moderator would help.

:cool:

Enoch

#6 ·
there will always be the topic of what is the best.

And while everything has its purpose, nothing is the best for every situation.

d-a

#7 ·
Thanks for encouragement, guys.
One of my ideas is they can post with their own languages if they are not good at posting in English and other members can help to translate it to English. I can translate Korean to English and I can also translate Japanese to English with my secretary's help. Ohter members can help to translate from Chinese to English, from German to English, Italian to English, Spanish to English. Instead of having separate forums according to languages, we can communicate within one forum worldwide.

#8 ·
One of my ideas is they can post with their own languages if they are not good at posting in English and other members can help to translate it to English. I can translate Korean to English and I can also translate Japanese to English with my secretary's help. Ohter members can help to translate from Chinese to English, from German to English, Italian to English, Spanish to English. Instead of having separate forums according to languages, we can communicate within one forum worldwide.

We can translate from Russian to English too :)

#14 ·
I think it is a great idea. I have help run forums before. I would highly suggest talking with the "owners" not moderators on many forums about what rules they feel are necessary and generate your own based on what you feel is required.

One of the main reasons I like 360 tuna so much is that though it is very geared with OTI, they are very open with discussions. I will not post on BD anymore because they are so biased on not only gear but just about any thing you can think of....

#15 ·
Kil, that would be great!!! I noticed the same thing as SpecialK. Certain boards have their brands/items they want to promote. Here, OTI is the biggie, but they still let other brands into the conversations, reviews, etc. BloodyDecks is very biased and geared towards West Coast fishing. Noreast is geared towards New England area, but as a rodbuilder, I feel odd about posting up rods that I have built because they have their own head builders on the site. Sportfishermen, same thing. I would love to see people talk tackle, jigging, rigging, etc without anyone bashing a brand, trying to push their own brand, etc. There are so many good products out there that they need to have a forum where it is based on performance, not the name brand! I am new to the field and have been playing with various brands of blanks, components, jigs, poppers, etc and would love to see a site that welcomes it all!

#16 ·
Kil, that would be great!!! I noticed the same thing as SpecialK. Certain boards have their brands/items they want to promote.

I feel odd about posting up rods that I have built because they have their own head builders on the site. I would love to see people talk tackle, jigging, rigging, etc without anyone bashing a brand, trying to push their own brand, etc.

There are so many good products out there that they need to have a forum where it is based on performance, not the name brand!

I am new to the field and have been playing with various brands of blanks, components, jigs, poppers, etc and would love to see a site that welcomes it all!
Kil..great idea..

Taz...you made all great points for a board.
I TOTALY AGREE.

having a site that doesnt say 'this is the best" and only rod or reel you should use, and there is no need to look for other choices, WOULD BE GREAT.

and if you dont have to pay to advertise thats even better.
its nice to be able to talk about all the products offered, and not have to pay to do it. or be PM'ed to stop posting about your product. or link,

i have been posting on boards for years.
all those mentioned..and the rodbuilding boards also.
and it seems the advertising is always a "concern".

being a builder, i try ALL the blanks i can get.
and try post about ALL the blanks i use.
i really have no "special" perfect blank.
i use all the blanks that work.
and as we know..there are ALOT of great choices.

like you taz, i like trying different things.
keep looking for good products. and keep us informd about what you find.

i really like the cut down calstar you did..
i hope to see some reports with those blanks.

kil i would love to see a site like this,
and would be happy to offer some special pricing to guys posting.
i have a TON of reviews and products that we really havent wrote up yet.
some real nice stuff.

keep us informed.
this is a good idea.

#18 ·
I feel like this board does a great job at doing exactly what you guys are all asking for.
this is a GREAT board. love it

it seems kil want a board where we can all be free to "showcase" the new products
and write what we want about alot of DIFFERENT products.

and no one will have bad comments to post .

that is a unique board. good idea.

#19 ·
Kil, Very good idea.

Enoch, kidflex, SpecialK and Taz575 all very good points above.

A forum thats more focused on sharing information and not so much pushing one particular brand would be great. This site comes close to it, but I understand they have to pay the bills some how (hence the ads and product manufacturing sponsorship).

One resquest would be the encouragement of having the forum safe for reading at work (during the lunch break of course), i.e. non-risque user icons and photos.

Another request would be one of site design and layout, a nice clean design will enhance speed and lower cost of hosting, as well as make it viewable on the newer mobile devices like the iPhone.

Also, Kil I like your philosophy of recommending products from a broad and reasonable price point; and not just a $900+ spinner made from the metal of Thor's hammer or $500+ rod made from the gossamer material of Angel wings or $100+ braid spun from a lock of Mother Nature's hair.

Regards,
Ty

#20 ·
Very good idea Kil , sounds wonderful for everybody

#21 ·
Thanks guys for the encouragement and advices.

As I said before, my new board is commercial board and I am going to use it for promoting products I carry and will carry. However all other products will be discussed freely.

The 360tuna site is great. That is why I am frequent to this site. However there are limitations to post products I carry on this site even I am a sponsor here.

The new board is mainly focused on discussions of products related to jigging and popping though jigging and popping trips are also discussed.

You always find guys who say advertisers or sponsors of products should disclose their identity or shouldn't post. This is one of reasons I decided to have my own board. You get the best information available who are associated with their products and had deep knowledge of their products.
Readers are not blind. They know it is pure promotion or their honest opinions. I am going to ask manufactures or suppliers of jigging and popping products to participate in the discussion. Surey they want to promote their products, but we will get many valuable info about their products directly from them.

I like to be diplomatic as much as possible not to be involved in undesirable discussions, but you have to be honest to yourself and other fishermen.
While the new board is a vehicle to show and promote products I carry, there will be no blind propaganda. As I try to choose items I like regardless of profit margin, there is no reason to promote items just to sell. I can assure you I promote products not because I carry them, but because thery are good to introduce other fishermen.

I think the mentions of 'best blank' by Paul708 is referred to my post on other site. When someone asked jigging rod blank for $100 range, I said boldly Super Seeker Hercules is the simply the best blank available for about $100.
That is my honest opinion based on my experience. It might irritate some rud builders or jigging blanks suppliers, but I said so because I can not find no blanks so powerful and quality products like Hercules blanks for around $100.
I said the same thing about Saltiga conventional reels by saying that Saltiga is the best star drag reels for its size in the US simply because I can not find better star drag reels among 3/0 size reels( there are some nice Japanese domestic model reels).
It is my very subjective opinion, but is my honest opinion. It does not mean everyone agree with my opinions. That is why we need discussion.

I have nothing to do with Hercules blanks, I bought a few from Billy40 to make a few jigging rod just because I was impressed with the blanks.

I'll continue test new jigging rods/blanks as many as possible and give my opinions on them.

Choosing right tackles to recommend to others are not easy and requires lots of research and testing, but it is fun as much as fishing. :) When many fishermen are involved in the discussions, the job is much easier and it gets more objective opinions to be benefited to other fishermen.

#22 ·
Thanks guys for the encouragement and advices.

As I said before, my new board is commercial board and I am going to use it for promoting products I carry and will carry. However all other products will be discussed freely.

The new board is mainly focused on discussions of products related to jigging and popping though jigging and popping trips are also discussed.

You always find guys who say advertisers or sponsors of products should disclose their identity or shouldn't post. This is one of reasons I decided to have my own board. You get the best information available who are associated with their products and had deep knowledge of their products.
Readers are not blind. They know it is pure promotion or their honest opinions. I am going to ask manufactures or suppliers of jigging and popping products to participate in the discussion. Surey they want to promote their products, but we will get many valuable info about their products directly from them.

I like to be diplomatic as much as possible not to be involved in undesirable discussions, but you have to be honest to yourself and other fishermen.
While the new board is a vehicle to show and promote products I carry, there will be no blind propaganda. As I try to choose items I like regardless of profit margin, there is no reason to promote items just to sell. I can assure you I promote products not because I carry them, but because thery are good to introduce other fishermen.

Kil. this will be great.
i am looking forward to JPR being a part of this, for you.
i have been selling, fishing, building JM for years.
also selling, building OTI since the begining.
along with most other blanks.
so you will get the best info about the product.

there are ALOT of great blanks and building parts.

i will be able to give very good input on these and others.
and with pretty much unbiased because i build all types. and it doesnt matter what brand.

i know you dont have the time to test all of them.
but i do have alot of blanks i test side by side,
either in the shop or fishing. with good reviews. Or bad:D

i did post something on the other site.
i was just curious, since you though these were the best...
if you have fished them?
caught fish with them.
or used them yet?
just want to get idea of why?

as i have said i have not see these yet.
i am looking for a little info.

#23 ·
Kil. this will be great.
i am looking forward to JPR being a part of this, for you.
i have been selling, fishing, building JM for years.
also selling, building OTI since the begining.
along with most other blanks.
so you will get the best info about the product.

there are ALOT of great blanks and building parts.

i will be able to give very good input on these and others.
and with pretty much unbiased because i build all types. and it doesnt matter what brand.

i know you dont have the time to test all of them.
but i do have alot of blanks i test side by side,
either in the shop or fishing. with good reviews. Or bad:D

i did post something on the other site.
i was just curious, since you though these were the best...
if you have fished them?
caught fish with them.
or used them yet?
just want to get idea of why?

as i have said i have not see these yet.
i am looking for a little info.
Paul, you are always welcome on my site. I found rod builders and end users are not always on the same boat. Expressig differernt views from different positons can only give beneft to fishermen.

When Billy40 showed pictures of lifting 60 lbs with the Super Seeker rod, I was surprised. Then I drove to Long Island to see the blanks myself.
I was more impressed that the blank Billy tested is like rated to 60 lbs. :eek:
If you think any jigging blanks rated to 60 lbs can lift 60 lbs object, try it with blanks you have. :)

I can tell no rod builder tested/experiemented tuna jigging rods as I have done last 25- 30 years. I don't have to test on the water how the action would be because I can visualize when I touch blanks nowadays.
The only thing I can not tell is how strong the rods/blanks will be.
Billy40 showed the strength of the rod.
I did not like the original Super Seeker blanks for jigging applications when I saw those blanks at Fred Hall Show a few years ago and I never thought Seeker would develop such blanks like Hercules, but they did.

As I posted on the other site, there are high quality Japanese rods/blanks, but they are not available in the US and the price is much higher than $100 even they are available.
There are many different blanks from China and some are same blanks with different brands. They are pretty good for the money, but I don't think they are with the same level as Super Seeker Hercules.
Tell me which blanks are as good as or better than Hercules blank at around $100, then I can explain the difference between two. I am constantly looking for better jigging rods/blanks and I am very happy if you find one.
You don't see me to recommend any products blindly, whether I carry or not.

#24 ·
Paul, you are always welcome on my site. I found rod builders and end users are not always on the same boat. Expressig differernt views from different positons can only give beneft to fishermen.

Thanks Kil.
its nice to be welcome up there.

i know about builders/ end users not in the same boat.
i deal with that everyday:D .

i do try to test all the blanks we use.
under different situations.

but i do hear alot of feedback from end users.
using all types of rods for all styles of fish.

and that is a very big plus to determine blanks and final makeup of rods.

#26 ·

This is a great idea Kil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.