360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,023 Posts
With all those rod sleeeve most of us own at home, should have bought the whole roll and “made to size” (1st started) and save enough money for another reel 😂. I have 40 and I bet 40 sleeves not even close to this Forum’s average. Come on guy, admit to it☺

·
Retired Member
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With all those rod sleeeve most of us own at home, should have bought the whole roll and “made to size” (1st started) and save enough money for another reel 😂. I have 40 and I bet 40 sleeves not even close to this Forum’s average. Come on guy, admit to it☺
I admit to nothing!!! lol

Benny

·
Retired Member
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How are those reels? I see people using them, but I really became a fan of how smooth the ocea jiggers are and the auto engage function
I bought the wiki’s exclusively for my HR rods. The Ocea Jiggers are great reels for my other SPJ rods. Just not for all the extra pulling power you have with Hearty Rise. The wiki’s are super smooth also but lack the auto engage. The auto engage is a great feature that can spoil you quick. But once you get in tune with having to push the lever these reels grow on you. Love the level wind! Even with drag pressure over 25# the level wind works flawlessly. So overall the wiki’s are great reels teamed with the HR rods being able to put super high drag pressure that was never used with SPJ fishing. The plus for me is, if I want to point and reel I can, but with the opportunity to lift and turn a fish if necessary. I know it’s not for everyone but I like these combos.

Benny

·
2,298 Posts
Benny forgot to mention that you can lock the drag with the flick of a button. Looks like a clicker button but it actually locks the drag and it's point and crank. I really like them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Which Wiki reel is this? How do you like it?

I got my dad a black 1500 last year...left handed. He loves it. Mostly pulls up ARS and Triggers, but I've watched him slap the drag on a 25# blackfin and it dam near yank him overboard.

IMHO (easy on the H part 😂), best Reel ever made. Pony Lu has got "it" GOING ON!

P.S. Benny, check your PM's I might have a solution for you.

·
Retired Member
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going by the line cavity it looks like the 1500. I love the wiki’s. Smooth, levelwind, spool lock, and more drag tan I can handle with still maintaining a consistent lower drag when needed. What’s not to like! You’re PM was answered. Thank you!

Benny

·
Retired Member
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
They are the Midwest rod socks. I bought mine on Amazon. There are a few different sizes. I ordered both the spin cast youth and the bait cast size. The bait cast size is a tighter fit both need to be shortened if you leave the reel on the rod and attach loop around reel.

Benny

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you Benny
I'm usually pretty good with all of my setups - they travel to and from the boat on roof rod racks, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have some socks for them so I can leave them in the pilothouse and not have to worry about they getting shifted around when the boat is docked!

·
Retired Member
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Benny
I'm usually pretty good with all of my setups - they travel to and from the boat on roof rod racks, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have some socks for them so I can leave them in the pilothouse and not have to worry about they getting shifted around when the boat is docked!
Exactly! Just a little extra protection to be on the safe side.

Benny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts