My New Surf Setup

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by mrbig1225, May 16, 2009.

1. mrbig1225

mrbig1225 Junior member

Just posting my new setup like to get honest feed back.... This is my flagship combo.... 9 foot custom rod and saltiga surf 6000 with about 400 yards of 65lb test braid. Sorry about the pic quality... will post better ones later

Attached Files:

2. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Combo looks awesome!

I love surf fishing. It's gotta be one of my favorite types of fishing. My go to set up is a 11' Tiralejo cast with a Penn 525 mag spooled with 30lb suffix and 30lb big game topshot.

What blank was the rod built from?

3. cubanfishermar

cubanfishermar Senior Member

I love it my is hernell 552 9ft avet mx 30lb mono

4. mrbig1225

mrbig1225 Junior member

Thanks guys....the blank is a allstar...from what i understand you cant get those anymore. One thing i like is the silica carbide guide how they change colors

5. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Thanks guys....the blank is a allstar...from what i understand you cant get those anymore. One thing i like is the silica carbide guide how they change colors

Looks great. How much drag does it produce? How will you connect the leader?

6. mrbig1225

mrbig1225 Junior member

Looks great. How much drag does it produce? How will you connect the leader?

The reel of the rod??? As far as the leader i tie on to my braided line and cast out out no more than 5 oz weight

7. mrbig1225

mrbig1225 Junior member

The red is my flagship surf setup the gold is my heavy duty shark setup...let me know your thoughts

Attached Files:

8. HWK

HWK Senior Member

The reel of the rod??? As far as the leader i tie on to my braided line and cast out out no more than 5 oz weight

You might want to use a 50/80lb topshot if your surf fishing. Braid doesn't do so good on sandbars, and you don't want to break of one of those 5oz spider weights during a cast and kill someone.

9. mrbig1225

mrbig1225 Junior member

You might want to use a 50/80lb topshot if your surf fishing. Braid doesn't do so good on sandbars, and you don't want to break of one of those 5oz spider weights during a cast and kill someone.

Thanks for the recommendation....what kinda of knot would you recommend and how long of line for the top shot?

10. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Thanks for the recommendation....what kinda of knot would you recommend and how long of line for the top shot?

I have had great luck with a uni to uni on surf casting rigs. Reel on 3 to 8 wraps around the spool and cut the top shot off at the mid point of the rod.
    ( 12 ft rod - you would have 18 ft + the wraps around the spool ) It will give you some abrasion resistance on sand bars / fish and help absorb the shock if the bail closes/backlashes on you during the cast. The rule is to have 10lbs of line strength per oz. 5oz weight = 50lb topshot. I like to use 50lb for 3-4oz's and 80lb for 5-12oz's.

11. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

you can get some hard to find allstar surf blanks at hatteras jacks. talk to ryan white.

depending on what type of surfcasting you do (on the beach or waist to cheast deep in the surf) determines if i will use a shock leader. for some reason i always cast chest deep and have been fine with a uni to uni and a short leader since my power is reduced in the cast. from the beach i would definitley get a couple of wraps on the spool.