360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

My new Pig Gun

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  CDB 
#1 ·
I just picked up a new Marlin 1895 45-70 with the 22" barrel. I don't know if I am going to put a scope on it or leave it with iron sights. Was also looking at some night vision scopes, but am afraid the recoil would destroy them. Can't wait to get this one to the range to see how she shoots.

#5 ·
TXLAW said:
Good choice. That is some serious knock down power. I will take the old school look over the new plastic junk any day. I think it will serve you well.
Thanks. I had a Winchester model 94 in 30-30 for many years. But that was my grandfather's gun and my uncle wanted it. I have been looking for a new lever action rifle and finally decided on the Marlin because it gives me a good brush gun for hogs given the thick underbrush that is prevalent in many areas with hogs. Plus, I like big bore.

#7 ·
CDB said:
I just picked up a new Marlin 1895 45-70 with the 22" barrel. I don't know if I am going to put a scope on it or leave it with iron sights. Was also looking at some night vision scopes, but am afraid the recoil would destroy them. Can't wait to get this one to the range to see how she shoots.
Unless I'm thinking about a different cartridge, the .45-70 is blackpowder, and therefore, there is not a sharp jolt to the sighting system. If this is correct, then I don't think you'll have any problem putting a scope/night vision on this rifle.

#8 ·
From what I recall from my research. Yes the original cartridge was a black powder round. It has been upgraded and most factory loads run smokeless. However they tend to run lower pressures so as not to destroy older weapons that were designed for the black powder round. That is the gist of what I took away from my research. Also the 45-70 is a great round for reloading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.