My new Jigging and Popping Shop

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am going to open a jigging and popping specialty shop in NJ.

I got the idea when I drove alone from NC after grouper fishing a few month ago. I have had many e-mails and PMs asking advice and information about jigging and popping tackles. And the problem was no tackle shop carries all the neccessay jigging and popping items together.
    I thought it is not a bad idea to open a jigging and popping shop which can be one stop shopping center for jig fishermen as well as information center. This can be my retirement plan too. At the age of 60, it becomes harder to read figures. :)
    I am a little nervous and concerned to do a new business at my age, but meanwhile, I am excited to do new adventure which I can enjoy myself by discussing with other fishermen and find right tackles for them as I have been.
    If I don't carry items which they need or want, I shop for them.
    There is no extra chages for them for my services as I can get profit by buying products at wholesale prices.

This shop is not a conventional tackle store as you know, but is unique custom shop as the shop is designed to discuss with customers and find right tackles based on their experiences and their budget.

I am going to carry tackles with which I had success or I have confidence so that customers are assured they can catch fish with the tackles they buy from me. There are so many products flooded in the market now as jigging and popping become popular and I think it saves lots of money and time for those who start jigging and popping if someone selects taclkes for them.
    I even design my shop's website to select items based on fish you target. For example, if you click TUNA, you will see menu of rod, reel, lines and other items for tuna jigging.

While I continue to find right tackles here and overseas, I am going to buy necessary items from existing store like Anglers Proshop, Peace Token, OTI tackles, or Lavjigs as they carry many proven tackles for jigging and popping.

Anglers Proshop

Anglers Proshop will be my main sources for Japanese products as I value Randy's opinion and his experiences very highly as nobody knows Japanese products better than Randy in the US.

Peace Token
    I've known Mike of Peace of Token. I have a great respect for Mike as a person as well as a fisherman. He carries some nice products from tuna to fluke.

OTI tackles
    I've known TJ of OTI's for years as a fisherman. When he opened OTI tackles I knew he would be very successful as he know tackles as a fishermen and he is very well respected by other fishermen as a person. I tested his products intensively and extensively and I am prety happy with the results.

Lavjigs
    I am glad and fortunate Dennis promised me to provide Lavjigs for me.
    As many cod jig fishermen know, Lavjigs are one of the best cod jigs. I felt it is my priority to get Lavjigs if I want to sell cod jigs.

There are some important items I'd like t carry locally, and they are in process and will be available soon.

While most Japanese products will be provided by Anglers Proshop, I becomes an exclusive distributor of Jigging Master and Heru lures.

Jigging Master
    I don't think I have to explain about JM as JM rods and other products are well known to jig fishermen throughout the world.
    Whenever I talk with JG guys, I feel like I don't have to worry about their products and all I have to do is to sell them. :) I am in awe how they are serious about their products and how much they are knowledgeable about tackles. But first of all they are hardcore fisheman like me.

Heru lures
    I felt we need some quality lures, but more reasonable prices as Japanese lures are top qualities, but very pricy.
    Heru lures are well received in Australia and in Southeast Asia.
    I tested them myself and I am pretty confident those Heru lures are as good as Japanese products in terms of effectiveness and quality.

The other special feature of my shop is Custom Rod section.
    I'd like to carry many different blanks for tuna, cod, fluke, seabass or other species based on my exeriences and rod builders are ready to build rods for them.

The shop is scheduled to open on September 1st, but it depends on the completion of my shop's website which is under construction.

The shop's name is Kilsong's Jigging World.
    Thanks for your support.

2. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Best of luck with the new endeavor Kil, I look forward to seeing the website when you get it up and running.

3. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

WOW. Good luck in your venture. I hope you'll be able to free up some time so you can go fishing.

Fred

4. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Sounds Great Kil. I'd love to come by and see your shop whenever it opens. I love those Heru Lures and I'm sure I'll be picking up a few them ;)

Good luck!
    Brian

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

best of luck kil

6. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I too want to wish you absolute success, Kil.

Fred: Uh, since when did you ever see owning a tackle business keep folks from fishing? I'm thinkin of: Randy, Sami, TJ, and Rick just for a few examples. :) In Kil's case, he just needs to hire a good accountant and he's all set. :D

Russ

7. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Kil, now you will write off all your fishing trips! You will be off testing tackles in remote seas::D :) :cool:

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I hope your shop is open the next time I come up north, I'll stop by and buy some stuff :)

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I am a little nervous and concerned to do a new business at my age, but meanwhile, I am excited to do new adventure which I can enjoy myself

Well put. I wish you the best in your new business.

Being self employed has both it's advantages and dis-advantages as you will soon learn. Most start up businesses have two problems. Knowledge of the business you are entering, and cash flow.

After years you will discover that the biggest PITA in a business is called the "Employee". :eek:

Do you plan on a brick and mortar location as well as on-line sales?

10. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Can't wait to see the range of products you'll be offering Kil.

Best of luck!

11. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

Best of luck with your new venture. Are you planning on having a retail location? If so where in NJ?

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Thanks guys for the encouragement.
    When I started fishing, I spent endless hours to learn by reading fishing magazines, fishing articles, attending seminars and observing how sharpies do on party boats. If I had some guidance, I could have saved lots of time and money.
    I am sailing along with you to unknown areas where very few fishermen have tried and explored.
    If I can not sell takcles, at least I can use them for the rest of my life. :)

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Best of luck with your new venture. Are you planning on having a retail location? If so where in NJ?
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ. But I recommend to visit my shop by appointment as I go fishing sometimes. :) if weather is worse, you have better chance to meet me at the shop. :)
    The shop's website is Network Solutions E-Commerce Web Site - Store Offline which is under construction now.

14. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Wishing you plenty of success and I can't wait to try some of the products!

15. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Congratulations & the very best of luck to you, Kil.:)
    I don't see myself getting up to NJ anytime soon, but post up
    when your site is up, & I'll gladly support your endeavor via
    web & mail order.
    P.S.- does this mean I might finally be able to afford a high end
    Japanese rod ???? (Zenaq,JM, or Smith)

once again, best of luck to you:D
    tight lines
    -Brian

16. JerseyBrian

Kil, will you be carrying the entire Jigging Master line at your shop? Including all of their accessories like gloves, belts, handles, sheaths, etc... I have a few JM accessories that I was going to buy from an overseas vendor...but I can wait 'til September if you're going to carry these items as well...

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, will you be carrying the entire Jigging Master line at your shop? Including all of their accessories like gloves, belts, handles, sheaths, etc... I have a few JM accessories that I was going to buy from an overseas vendor...but I can wait 'til September if you're going to carry these items as well...
    I eventually carry most of JM products, but I like to carry them after I see them myself. Some accessaries will be available in September. If you have any items in mind, let me know.

18. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

jm jigs too?
    I think I carry them, but they are not included in the first shipment. When I see JM jig pictures, they look designed to go down fast to fish deep.

20. JerseyBrian

I eventually carry most of JM products, but I like to carry them after I see them myself. Some accessaries will be available in September. If you have any items in mind, let me know.

Well, specifically, I was about to purchase the 98mm Jigging Master T-bar Handle SGD99.80 in Silver (with Gold inlays) for my Accurate reel.
    [​IMG]

the Jigging Master Hand Protector Gloves SGD17.90
    [​IMG]

And I was curious about the Jigging Master Pliers Pouch SGD12.20 since I've been told it has the D-clip as well as a belt loop for direct waist attachment. Looks like a nice sheath for my Duel GT pliers and some Fiskar scissors.
    [​IMG]