My new grouper jigs

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Dec 4, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

On the recent grouper fishing trips to NC, I had pretty good success with two new jigs. One is Octopus jig and the other is 6 oz Solvkroken Stainless Viking jig.
    They are going to be my must jigs for grouper along with hammered diamond jigs.

5 oz Octopus jig

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 oz Sovkroken jig

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Hello Kil,

Do you now offer these jigs at your shop? Also, do you bounce on the bottom and keep it there or start jigging straight back to the boat after it hits bottom?

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hello Kil,

Do you now offer these jigs at your shop? Also, do you bounce on the bottom and keep it there or start jigging straight back to the boat after it hits bottom?
    I am going to carry them at my shop as they passed my test. :) I used the Norway Viking jig briefly yesterday and caught three gag groupers of which one was a keeper (20 lbs) shown in the picture.
    I am going to test some bucktails on next grouper trips.

When Jigging grouper, I prefer to use longer rods than Japanese style short rod. I cast as far as I can with longer rods and work bottom toward the boat. After I jig under the boat for a while, I repeat casting constantly to cover more ground. Once I have a hit on a certain spot, I concentrate on the spot until I don't get any hit any more. I use lift/drop technique while I feel the bottom on down stroke instead of fast cranking.
    I used 7'6" St Croix Custom rod which becomes my favorite.

4. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

I am going to carry them at my shop as they passed my test. :) I used the Norway Viking jig briefly yesterday and caught three gag groupers of which one was a keeper (20 lbs) shown in the picture.

When Jigging grouper, I prefer to use longer rods than Japanese style short rod. I cast as far as I can with longer rods and work bottom toward the boat. After I jig under the boat for a while, I repeat casting constantly to cover more ground. Once I have a hit on a certain spot, I concentrate on the spot until I don't get any hit any more. I use lift/drop technique while I feel the bottom on down stroke instead of fast cranking.

Thanks for the tip. Ill hit you up later for the jigs. Right now it is prime time for the grouper in South Florida. :)

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Thanks for the tip. Ill hit you up later for the jigs. Right now it is prime time for the grouper in South Florida. :)
    As grouper fishing is closed from East Coast' Florida to NC during Jan-Apr, I will go down to west coast of Florida for grouper jigging in winter. :)

6. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

As grouper fishing is closed from East Coast' Florida to NC during Jan-Apr, I will go down to west coast of Florida for grouper jigging in winter. :)

PM me when you plan to go. Let me know what party boat, cost, and date. If time is available Ill definitly join you. :)

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

PM me when you plan to go. Let me know what party boat, cost, and date. If time is available Ill definitly join you. :)
    If I go, I usualy go on the SeaTrek out of Fort Myers, Fl or the Viking out of Tarpon Spring, Fl for 48 hour trip.
    When I decide to go, I let you know.

SEATREK

VikingFleet.com

8. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

You mentioned the St. Croix the other day, can you tell us which blank is used? Thanks.

9. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

I don't know what Kil's using but I have a St. Croix 2M79XXXHF acid wrapped that I jig grouper and tuna with. Awesome rod.

10. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

12. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Nope it is for the entire State. They did the Gulf last year and added the East Coast this year. The new State snapper regs proposal just came out today and they are shortening it 1 month shorter this year also.

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I don't know what Kil's using but I have a St. Croix 2M79XXXHF acid wrapped that I jig grouper and tuna with. Awesome rod.
    I tested St Croix 2m79XXXHF over two years. It is excellent rod/blank for deep drops or big tuna as the rod/blanks is rated to 100 lbs, but very light.
    However I found some who like light tips don't like them as the tip size is 13.

The St Croix I am talking about is 4M76XHF. The 7'6" blank weighs only 5 1/2 oz, but rated to 80 lbs. :eek:
    This rod is not for everyone as you need to use it with care because wall is very thin. It is not the rod for those who use the rail.

14. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

I am a St Croix fan myself, I have about 15 rods in different lengths
    and class. I think the one you're referring to is an all graphite blank,
    graphite is more sensitive and lighter in weight but can not handle
    abuse like fiberglass . I just put a Stella 20000 SW on my 7' St Croix
    MH last night, feels like a great combo

15. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

That's ok, after April the water will calm down to hit the Dry Tortugas. My buddy already landed two Black Grouper 44 and 51 lb on dead Google Eye. I'm dying to land one on a jig.

16. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Bolo,
    How deep were those big groupers?

17. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Bolo,
    How deep were those big groupers?

190ft of water. There is a hump in this area and big grouper and AJ hang out there. Last trip no big grouper probably my friend caught them all. :)

The 44lb was caught in April and 51lb was caught in June. It is sweet to see people fishing for 2-3lb yellowtail snapper at first light and all of sudden their rods double over. AJ crushed the yellowtail coming up to the surfaces. I had my Chaos rod with Accurate 30 and Im 0-2. Damn AJ wont hit my Goggle Eye. :mad: Can't wait for next year when I drop one of your jigs in their face. :)

44lb Black
    [​IMG]

51lb Black
    [​IMG]