My new flounder bucktail is deadly

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jun 4, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Some have been using these secret bucktail jigs quietely from last summer. Round ball shape jigs are not new, but these jigs are deadly sometimes when conditons are met. The most popular setup of these jigs is hi-lo as we do with Spro.
    2 - 3 ounce jigs at the bottom and 1/2 or 5/8 ooz smaller jigs one or two ft above the bottom jigs.
    These custom jigs have all Gamatatsu hooks. Even 1/2 or 5/8 oz jigs have big 5/0 or 6/0 size big hook.
    I don't know it is because of round head jigs or custom bucktails or sharp Gamatatsu hooks used, but one thing is know these jigs are deadly based on reports I got.

[​IMG]

Big Gamakatsu hook is used even for 1/2 oz jig.
    [​IMG]

2. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

I visit my nephew every spring for the past several years and go fishing for fluke.We have been using this particular jig and have had great success .We have been tipping the jig with spearing (glass minnows).The fluke (summer flounders) just love em.

3. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Kil, willing to share where we can find these bucktails? ;) :D

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, willing to share where we can find these bucktails? ;) :D
    I heard a group oufish everyone with special jigs on fluke party boats out of Montauk, NY and I tried to find the source.
    Surprisingly, a guy I know who own a tackle shop locally was the source. :eek: He promised to provide those jigs to me though he can not make many.

5. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

CABELAS HAS THEN

6. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

i want some!!! 12 days till opening of fluke season in ri woooot

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

CABELAS HAS THEN
    but not with Gamatatsu hooks. :)

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

i want some!!! 12 days till opening of fluke season in ri woooot
    baldurs,

After I heard of succces of the bucktail jigs, I tested myself on the Frances Fleet in RI and here is my report posted on the other site.

my custom bucktails outproduced Spro

I went on the Frances today with my seven fishing buddies. We went east side of Block Island. Wind and drift conditon was perfect in the morning. After trying a few areas Rich found a productive spot and we stayed there until wind and current direction changed and fishing got slow down. Rich went a few miles offshore for seabass a few hours without much success and went back to close to Block Island in the afternoon and we have good fluke bite there until we left.
    It was not hot and heavy, but we picked fluke steadily once we found a good area. The keeper ratio was pretty impresseve as 3 out of 4 were keepers. There was no monster today. My 5 1/2 fluke was very close to the pool winner.

The primary purpose of this trip is to test new custom bucktails.
    I am very glad these bucktails could outperform Spro. If any bucktails/lures can outfish Spro, they can be a big hit as Spro has been one of the best fluke catchers.
    I had my limit of seven with the bucktails. My fishing buddies are pretty good fluke fishermen, but they could catch 0 - 3 keepers with Spro today (all used Spro).
    I used 3 oz custom bucktail at the bottom and a 1/2 oz custom bucktails one ft above. More flukes were caught on 1/2 oz bucktail high, but most fluke missed were on the bottom bucktails.
    I am going to introduce these new custom bucktails next year as I am satisfied with the performance.

9. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

the reason i like these jigs is because even on the small jigs there is a very large hook.... but with the spros with the small jigs there is a tiny hook(lost many many many fish right at the surface because of the small hooks)

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

the reason i like these jigs is because even on the small jigs there is a very large hook.... but with the spros with the small jigs there is a tiny hook(lost many many many fish right at the surface because of the small hooks)
    You figure out. :)

11. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

i have become a fan of the glass minnow jigs for there large hooks

12. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

I was out around the south county beaches last Saturday and there was every dragger from Pt. Judith/Galilee dragging from PJ all the way west to Weekapaug. So I sure hope there is some fluke left to catch once the season opens. Very discouraging.