360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 2 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a great site. I am on the east coast (NJ.) My first TUNAs were caught accidently on a party boat bluefish day trip on the Sea Devil (Capt. Bob Pennington) back in the 70's. No bluefish were caught, but we spent all day fighting 40#-60# BFT. What a rush fighting these fish on light gear. Capt. Bob has since become a legend for TUNA in Pt. Pleasant NJ.

That was a long time ago.

My next TUNA was stand up chunking on the Big Jamaica party boat (Pt.Pleasant, NJ) in 2004 with boat gear. Got one but it was a chore.

Next was this year when I got a jigging set up : Shimano butterfly system.
Landed a YFT ~ 50# pretty quick. This was on the 125 ft. jamaica party boat.

Next TUNA fish this year was on a 55" charter. Lost a big YFT jigging a crippled herring. It got the best of me because I thought it was whipped when it was not whipped. I saw the beast.

So far I like this way of fighting TUNA. I just replaced the power pro 80# with Daiwa marked braid. I am trying to figure out the metric conversion. Daiwai marks the colors every 10 meters. The colors are blue orange green red and violet.

Then Daiwa says there are five and one meter indicators. HUH?

I a low budget meat fisherman. I must catch to provide for my Mom and her cats.

Am going out Sunday into Monday on the Big Jamaica.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kil, I think I met you on the bass barn trip that was cancelled. You say no night bite, sleep until 4am. I usually can't sleep so what else could I do ?
1. squid fishing - top or bottom
2. ling fishing - tommycod bottom
3. sword fishing - any still being caught?
4. butterfly jigging - random tuna grabs on instinct
good luck on your trip

1 - 2 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.