360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even it was not a slaughter, I enjoyed cod fishing on the Frances with fine other fishermen in very relaxed atmosphere in fine weather.
Cod were there, but they didn't cooperate except in early in the morning. The main body is yet to come as most cod caught were in dark color.

As I posted before, I observed that Solvkroken Stainless 9 oz worked better than other jigs in the morning. I was somewhat surprised not many fishermen sued diamond jigs which are traditional hot jigs around Block Island.

I didn't do well in early in the morning when bites were pretty hot as I tried to test several new jigs. I even used $35 Labo SL jig. 8*
However, I decided to stay with Labo SL jig as it should attract cod because of its viking jig style design. Indeed, I saw it worked.
Fortunately, I didn't lose the jig. :)

I did try squidding technique, but I didn't get any hit. Most hit came when I bounced bottom with jigs slowly.
As we had light wind and current, even 7 - 8 oz could hold bottom.
There are decent amount of mackerel near the bottom.

Cod are coming, but it wiil be very crowded this season as we don't have other alternatives thanks closure of seabass.

caught on expensive Labo LC jig

good action early in the morning.

ling on a jig

fishing in the snow

I enjoyed mackerel fishing briefly. :)

small pollack on a teaser hook

even bergal hit jigs. we had a nice 7- 8 lbs blackfish on a jig, but it was released due to closure of blackfish.

Varieties of fish caught on jigs

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I see a tog in that cooler; what's the other catfish-looking
and brim-looking fish?
Those are not tog, but bergal. In fact, Chinese love bergall more than tog as they have similar expensive fish in Hong Kong.
The catfish-looking fish is ling which is fine eating fish. You can see sea raven too in the cooler.

·
3,719 Posts
Nice mixed bag kil. Making me hungry. The cod will respond to bait sometimes when a jig won't do it,but it's much more fun to jig them.
Those (sea perch) as we call them are delicious I had a spot years back where you could get them up to 5 lbs or so, lots of them. I used to catch up a bunch of them and invite all my buddys over for a fish fry. delicious.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice mixed bag kil. Making me hungry. The cod will respond to bait sometimes when a jig won't do it,but it's much more fun to jig them.
Those (sea perch) as we call them are delicious I had a spot years back where you could get them up to 5 lbs or so, lots of them. I used to catch up a bunch of them and invite all my buddys over for a fish fry. delicious.
We had about 23- 25 fishermen and everyone jigging most of time except some used bait when anchored later. Those who used bait enjoyed excellent dogfish fishing. :)

·
2,753 Posts
Kil,

I expect dogfish closure to be on the horizon so you can start using bait again :D Just trade one Labo jig for a coolor filled with bait.
Great mix bag, I will not be surprised if these mixed bag trips are more popular this coming winter. Do you have lav jig at the shop?

@MrBill, we have something in the northeast that is white and fluffy falling from the sky...sometimes you can find it on your ice cream bars after forgetting them in the freezer too long :D

·
3,719 Posts
We had about 23- 25 fishermen and everyone jigging most of time except some used bait when anchored later. Those who used bait enjoyed excellent dogfish fishing. :)
Ha, isn't that awfull? The "plague" doesn't even go away in winter anymore.They used to disappear as the water got cold,not so anymore.add winter baitfishing to the list of things you can no longer do because of dogfish.
For many years I used to longline and jig for cod all winter and spring.Dogfish free. The last time I set any hooks.(maybe 3-4 years ago)I put out 150 and came back with a mess of dogs,3 cod and about 30 cod heads, the dogfish had eaten all but the head.
We used to chunk for Giant bluefin all summer long. Impossible to do that anymore either.Jesus do I hate those things.:mad:
Maybe later in the winter they'll thin out and you'll be able to get a bait bite going. bait has saved the day for me on more than a few occasions.
They can get VERY un responsive to jigs when the water gets real cold. I've seen many days where you couldn't buy a fish on a jig ,but would limit out with bait.

·
162 Posts
Kil you must of been going through withdrawal.Its been a while since youve been out.Im looking forward to my first cod trip this winter but im not done playin with the blackfish yet.

Dan just called me and asked to borrow one of youre flat hammered diamonds for a sample.I would rather give him my first born child,but I will take one for the team.

G

·
dogfish is a four letter word. maybe ill go read one of the threads describing the ways people dispose of them just for some laughs :)

nice pictures kil.....id rather be fishing in snow than sitting in an office.

·
162 Posts
dogfish is a four letter word. maybe ill go read one of the threads describing the ways people dispose of them just for some laughs :)

nice pictures kil.....id rather be fishing in snow than sitting in an office.
Caught one the other day while blackfishin.Bled and gutted it rite away.Brought it home and gave it to my elderly neighbor.This morn she asks me what kind of fish was that it was pretty good.I told her north atlantic whitefish i'll bring ya more this week:D

·
857 Posts
kil if you are up to it kyle chris dan eban and my self i think will be going monday and maybe again on web let me know... looks like you had some fun

·
66 Posts
Our ling have to be 37" in the GOM to keep.

The ling in the GOM are cobia, while the ling Kil are referring to are red hake. Two completely different species with the same local common name.

·
2,835 Posts
@MrBill, we have something in the northeast that is white and fluffy falling from the sky... :D

Down South, we call that "sheep".:D

We also have what we call a dogfish. It's the nastiest looking and smelling fish you can catch on the bottom. It looks different from the ones you guys catch. Ours even barks when it comes out of the water. :eek: The seagulls won't even eat them. It even tops the "hardhead" as the smelliest most dreaded fish to unhook in the bay system.

Attachments

·
1,631 Posts
Had my share of dogfish towards the end of 2009. They were getting so desperate they were devouring my jigs non-stop. I used to never catch them on jigs, now, they are getting smarter(or stupider) and eating the jigs. A few we caught this year were enormous, how can these fish possibly still be endangered?

The nice thing for me, if the cod bite is off, but there is a ton of mackerel, I'll fish for them. I'm not a huge fan, but my entire immediate and extended family loves eating them. Guess it's an old school italian thing or something?

·
513 Posts
Had my share of dogfish towards the end of 2009. They were getting so desperate they were devouring my jigs non-stop. I used to never catch them on jigs, now, they are getting smarter(or stupider) and eating the jigs. A few we caught this year were enormous, how can these fish possibly still be endangered?

The nice thing for me, if the cod bite is off, but there is a ton of mackerel, I'll fish for them. I'm not a huge fan, but my entire immediate and extended family loves eating them. Guess it's an old school italian thing or something?

I had Fish 'n chips in England once. I was eating dogfish. Tasted fine, as I recall.
My favorite eating fish, though, is fresh mackerel. I'll need to get out there!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts