My Cow Jigging Setup

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Dec 4, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I just got B2 30 from Accurate.
    It fit to my 500g custom JM Power Spell rod perfectly.
    I'll put 130 lbs JB hollow braided line on it. I am all set for cow jigging. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

When is the first test planned for?

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

When is the first test planned for?
    Hi Jerry, I am waiting an e-mail from Cape Town, South Africa. I am ready to go anytime, but it seems yft haven't been in biting mood yet. :(
    I can wait until next week. If yft don't bite by then, I have to postpone the trip until April next year. Because of this trip planned, I can not join the Scat Cat trip this weekend.

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Good choices Kil, best of luck. Maybe I will join you if you go in April. =)

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Good choices Kil, best of luck. Maybe I will join you if you go in April. =)
    I really hope to go to Cape Town in Dec as I have a trip to Panama in April too. Do you want to come to Panama exploratory trip in April ? :)
    It is exclusively for jigging and popping trip and yft are abundant in Panama in April.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

that would be a good trip to go on :)

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Damn, I wanna go fish in Panama, that sounds so awesome! Maybe when I am retired I can afford such a trip with you Kil! :D

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Damn, I wanna go fish in Panama, that sounds so awesome! Maybe when I am retired I can afford such a trip with you Kil! :D
    As this trip is exploratory trip, the trip is very affordable. :)

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I really hope you make the trip and test the new accurate on a cow. The reel has promise as long as there are no weak links.

10. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Sweet reel Kil, spooling 130lb braid how much line do you think you can get on it? Wouldnt a YFT be able to dump a lot of line? I have a ATD Accurate 30 topless, I would really like to see if their much different between the two.

11. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Sweet reel Kil, spooling 130lb braid how much line do you think you can get on it? Wouldnt a YFT be able to dump a lot of line? I have a ATD Accurate 30 topless, I would really like to see if their much different between the two.

That B2-30 reel is a beefy one, it should be able to take a good amount of 130 lb braid.

I have an alutecnos gorilla 20, probably around same size as B2-30. I managed to spool about 500 yds of 80 lb sufix on that bad boy, thought about 100lb but then figured 80 lb is sufficient in GOM. Maybe I'll get to yank a nice YFT out of the gulf soon!!! :D

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I expect the reel can hold about 400 yards of 130 lbs braid as John Baker 12 does.
    Normally 100 lbs yft takes about 100 yard and 200 lbs yft takes about 200 yards on 25 lbs drag. As I can use 28 -30 lbs dag for cow, the line capacity of 130 lbs is not my concern.

As far as I know, ATD 30 is better reel, but it is too heavy even for a couple hours jigging. B2 30 weighs 36 oz while ATD 30 weighs 47 oz.

13. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

As far as I know, ATD 30 is better reel, but it is too heavy even for a couple hours jigging. B2 30 weighs 36 oz while ATD 30 weighs 47 oz.

That is a big difference. You want to trade? :)

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

That is a big difference. You want to trade? :)
    I haven't used my 30/50 reels for long. I don't know what I shoud do with 30 if traded. Use as sinker for deep drops ? :)

15. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

I haven't used my 30/50 reels for long. I don't know what I shoud do with 30 if traded. Use as sinker for deep drops ? :)

Off season, I use my ATD 80W as a door stopper. That reel is 147oz. You think its too heavy to jig with? =)

The ATD 30 has unbelieveble cranking power. With the 665 against a big fish I sometimes struggle a bit but still able to do the job. I never thought of spooling the 30 with 130lb braid. I had 80lb JB hollow for Black Grouper. I still have 130lb braid left over from my ATD 80W. Im going to try it on my next trip out on the Dry Tortugas.

16. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

That works for me.:) Only I don't use Accurates, I use the other brand that starts with an "A".:)

I find it not only satisfying, but I love the look I get from fellow fisherman on board. :D

On the subject of the Extreme 30 vs the ATD 30, it's a totally different reel with different intension's from the manufacture used in the designing process. I saw a extreme 30 for the first time this past Sunday. It's nice but I wouldn't used for marlin fishing. Jigging with an ATD 30 would cause some "Ben Gay" to come out of the medicine cabinet. :eek:

I was doing a little hunting last weekend in South Texas and the weather was pretty nice. We opted to put away the bullets and pull out the poles for a little tuna trip. Hoover was holding some nice size Yellowfins (70-110lbs). The topwater action was insane. Every cast from sunset until around 9:30pm had either a hookup or a blowup. We only kept 3 but we released about a dozen in that time period before returning home. That was a nice productive 16 hour trip.:)

I was using a twinspin 20 which was great until I got spooled.:eek: I switched to a 30 but never had another fish over 75lbs.:mad:

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The Excel are catching big cow now in lower Baja.

A fisherman caught a nice yft on a spinning reel which looks like newAccurate SR 50.

[​IMG]

Dennis Braid holding a broken rod with a cow.

[​IMG]

18. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i played with a B2-30 today. i would definitely use this for slow jigging. seems like a very nice reel, but unproven. i'll wait for kil to test/break it :p

19. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

that photo of dennis braid and his broken rod brings a smile to my face. while i don't know the circumstances behind his broken rod but i assume that he was fishing extreme drag settings and horsing his tuna to the boat. he has to be in great physical condition and have great balance to be able to apply the amount of pressuer he puts on fish....rick

20. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

THAT 50 LOOKS LIKE A WINCH